Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Fidelity Filter Designer
(20-Nov-2021, 16:26)ogs Wrote: Hi David @Focus Fidelity

No ASIO support? I don't think my trusty Sound Devices USBPre2 can be tricked into using WASAPI...
What about Windows versions? 7?

Hi @ogs 

Page 12 of the USBPre 2 manual shows it installed in windows with exclusive mode support enabled.
https://cdn.sounddevices.com/wp-content/...2ug_en.pdf
It should show up as a WASAPI device.
However, I would like to add ASIO support to the application in the future.

I don't think there is a reason why the application won't work on Windows 7, I simply don't have access to older versions of windows right now for testing.

Kind regards,
David
OK, thanks. Your application will be free (great!) so I'll simply try it and see. I am using Audiolense where ASIO has been the recommended interface for years. Very stable. The USBPre2 is very decent for measurements. A single clock for record and play. The digital I/O and ADC is good, but the DAC could be better.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Has anyone so de already tested the new measurement tool?
So far a beta version of the tool has been e-mailed to a few people on this thread, please contact me if you would like a copy.
(04-Dec-2021, 19:52)markush Wrote: Has anyone so de already tested the new measurement tool?

I received the beta version yesterday.

First impressions are very good. Think of using REW as a bit like trying to revise Linux code, then in comparison the new Focus Fidelity measurement tool is rather more Apple app like.

So it works, and it is far more intuitive and straightforward to use than REW. 

It also has a name "Impala", which I like very much. Plus it is somewhat easier to type than "the new Focus Fidelity Filter Designer measurement tool." (I am guessing the "Imp" is derived from impulse response)

It will not be until next weekend that I will be able to take a full set of room measurements. Basically I need a new microphone stand (I seem to have broken the leg on my admittedly cheap and cheerful old one), and a new USB cable, as I think the best way for me to use Impala will be USB direct to the Devialet from my PC. (With a bit of messing about, I have worked out that I can just about get away with a 5 metre USB cable)

I have just tried a fun experiment. In my room there is a desk in one corner at the opposite end of the room to the hifi system. So I tried taking a set of measurements sat at this desk, just holding the microphone next to my head in various positions. I took eight left / right measurements, and produced a convolution. (and consider this, once everything was set up, this entire process took about 15 minutes)

I am listening to this convolution now, whist sat at the said desk writing this post. It sounds pretty darn good! In fact, if I turn around, the sound stage is nicely locked around the centre of the speakers, which is impressive considering that I am sat slightly inset of the right hand speaker.

The good news here is that I am already taking measurements and getting good results. 

Assuming all goes to plan, next weekend I will retake the room measurements both with Devialet SAM enabled and disabled. Seeing now how easy Impala is to use, this should be a relatively straight forward experiment. I will also try to establish if I can hear any sound quality differences between convolutions made from Impala measurements, versus my old REW measurements. This should be interesting.

Early impressions are very positive though, Impala is a fine piece of software in my opinion.

Well done @Focus Fidelity - I suspect that being able to use Impala rather than the more complex to use REW might be just what is needed to temp a few more into trying and experiencing the wonders of proper digital room correction.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks for the write-up, @Confused. It is encouraging to hear that the measurement process is easy to use and seems to work well; it might well be enough to get me to dip my toe into the DRC water again!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Amazing to hear!! So very much looking forward to it - just having to get a new UMIK-1.
just one thing keeps me wondering: should I do the measurement with SAM at 100% or what I currently use 40% but that is because currently without room correction more than 40% is doing more harm than good.
The one thing I really disliked about trying to use REW was the difficulty (time, expertise, effort and doubt) in making such measurements in order to compare various changes in my system and room. I have depended upon my ears to discern what sounds better but with little quantitative effort to correlate such changes. I'm really hoping that Focus Fidelity's measurement app will make it far easier to measure, make changes, and then remeasure to see if/where measurable differences occur. To do so requires time, patience and a high degree of confidence in the measurement app (and the person using it - i.e. me ;-).

Now I just need to find the time and a quiet household to do it.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Eager to hear about your experience. Are you doing the measurement with which SAM setting?
Looking forward to trying this!
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds