Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Fidelity Filter Designer
Thanks to @ogs for clarifying with Mathieu. Although personally I would not classify the response as "bad news" as such, for me it is pretty much to be expected. Also, it still leaves the question open as to if either the CI board or the EVO platform could natively run convolutions. Here again though, even if the answer is "yes" it would still require a lot of effort and new code to implement.

So how about some good news? I would say that although it is fun to speculate on "what might be possible", I would say the good news is what is possible now.

In the past I struggled with room measurements, REW and various methods of room correction. I am now running room correction convolutions that I am extremely happy with. For me this is thanks to Focus Fidelity. I have tried the Impala measurement software. I would be reluctant to call it "easy to use", in terms of being truly idiot proof. But if you are careful, have a rough idea about what you are doing and why, and of course actually follow the instructions, then with these caveats it is "easy to use". Far more intuitive than REW, easier than REW, and it gives you that vital degree of confidence that you are doing things right.

As for the convolutions, these work just fine with a Devialet amp. I know this because I am listening to my Devialet with said convolutions now. Believe it or not, I am actually listening to some music via an iTunes playlist. This is streamed via HQPlayer's "loop back" functionality. A very quirky use case, but the point is that there are many ways you can use a Devialet with convolutions right now. I think the easiest way would be to use Roon or JRiver, in which case you just need a Devialet and a PC or Mac. I am probably labouring the point a little here, but the point is that this is all possible now.

I have managed to spend quite a bit of time listening to music over the holiday period, and I can say in all honesty that I have never enjoyed listening to reproduced music more. I have spent a lot of time in the past messing about with tweaks, but this is a clear step change, rather than the normal minor gains which on occasion may be more imagined than real.

Another thing that impresses me about Focus Fidelity Filter Designer is just how easy it is to "fine tune".

As an example, I had a convolution that I thought sounded a little bright. I could even invoke the "C" word here, and state that my system sounded a little "clinical". It takes maybe 10 minutes to load up the FFFD project that created the convolution, fine tune the target response slightly, and then be listening again. It is very quick and easy. The point being, I can make the system sound clinical, or even a little forgiving, anything I want. As it happens, I do not want my system to be too dark or forgiving, I want it to be as detailed and realistic as possible. In fact, I have been surprised at just how little you can change the target curve to move from sounding a little unforgiving and clinical to something that sounds "musical", or just plain more enjoyable to listen too.

I recall some data from Floyd Toole, with comments like 75% of our impression of an audio system is related to the frequency response balance, and maybe 30% of this is related to bass. This is from memory, so may not be a completely accurate quote, but whatever the actual percentages might be it is a little arbitrary anyway, the point is I am now really beginning to see the benefit of being able to "fine tune" things so they sound right for a particular system and listener.

For me, FFFD makes this relatively easy to do. Plus, because the software is easy to use it is quite good fun. You decide one day that you system is a little dark, clinical, lacking in mid range, too much bass, too little bass or whatever. 10 minutes with FFFD, and all of a sudden you have a slightly different system, with the sound improved in exactly the way you wanted to improve it. A lot cheaper and easier that trying different cables, new bits of kit, add on tweaks or whatever. It is a lot more effective too. So you have all the benefits of "proper" room correction, reducing bass nodes, reducing resonances, correcting phase distortions etc, and together with this the ability to fine tune your system such that it sound as correct as possible to yourself.

If you have the time and inclination, well worth giving it a try I would say.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I used my Devialet amp with convolution all the way from the time it was a D-Premier in 2012 till I sold it as a 250 Pro CI in 2020. At first I used Squeezebox server (Logitech Media Server - LMS) with BrutefirDRC, then JRiver until Roon made it's DSP engine with convolution. I subscribed to Roon from then on.
As @Confused say the convolver in Roon is maybe the easiest to use, but Roon doesn't help you create the room correction filter. Up to now this has been quite complicated to do if you want to do it yourself. Programs like Audiolense (which I use) and Acourate has a rather steep learning curve. Quality is exceptionally high though. Dirac is user friendly, but not compatible with normal convolution - like the one in Roon.
Focus Fidelity Filter Designer seems to change all this. In particular the measurement module helps a lot here. High quality room correction combined with ease of use and normal convolution filters is certainly welcome. I have not used FFFD myself, but I hope to do that soon.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
@ogs eager to hear your feedback when using FFFD.

BTW: do you think you might get a feedback from Mathieu about the general progress on the Expert line? There has been no firmware update for a long time, some bugs to fix in certain areas and the CI platform has a high pour trial to be unleashed.
I do hope non all resources of Devialet are focused on new flagship stores, expansion and Phantom line.
I would very much like to try FFFD, but the fact is I'm getting old and slow so the emphasis must be on soon... Wink
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hi!
This is interesting software Smile
I have Roon running in nuc. Is it possible to use the FFFD in Roon Rock, i mean,  does FFFD need some kind of license file installed in nuc?
@RayMo -  Simple answers to the above, yes it is possible to use the FFFD convolutions in Roon Rock, no you do not need an FFFD license in the NUC / Roon. You do of course need a license for the actual Focus Fidelity software, but once you have created the convolutions these are simple files that you can load into any player software that will accept them.

@markush - Regarding feedback of general progress on the expert line, I do not think I have ever seen such a thing from Devialet, ever, in the entire history of time. The notable exceptions to this rule would be a presentation at Munich high end one year, and the occasional dealer events which Mathieu attended. Even with these dealer events, not much was ever disclosed re future plans. So that just leaves Munich, where some plans were advised, although these plans never actually transpired. Thinking about it, the reverse is true with Devialet, you hear absolutely nothing, then any major updates, such as SAM, RAM or the announcement of the Pro line appear from nowhere. Maybe no news is good news, either way it is useless worrying about it. 

@ogs - I have never used Audiolense, but from what I have seen it looks vastly more complex than FFFD. I recall watching a Mitch Barnett video where he detailed how to use Accurate and Audiolense, and they look to be on another lever for user complexity to me.

As an aside, and talking of Mitch Barnett, someone gave me Mitch's book Accurate Sound Preproduction Using DSP as a Christmas gift. I wonder how much of this I will truly understand? I'll let you all know if and when I ever finish reading it!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(04-Jan-2022, 15:20)Confused Wrote: @RayMo -  Simple answers to the above, yes it is possible to use the FFFD convolutions in Roon Rock, no you do not need an FFFD license in the NUC / Roon. You do of course need a license for the actual Focus Fidelity software, but once you have created the convolutions these are simple files that you can load into any player software that will accept them.

Oh yes, that’s how it goes. Thanks @Confused, I am going to try it  Smile
I was hoping to try the FFFD for a short trial basis, as I can demo it to my audio club, who have monthly meetings

But it seems you have to buy quite an expensive licence to do this
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
I think @Focus Fidelity can arrange a trial for you ;-)
First tests done Smile Even though I don't understand all the settings yet, I got quite good results already. Now listening track by track with a smile in my face. More clear articulation, better soundstage, more easy to listen to. I must have got some frequencies played too loud because of my room response. Setting and testing the target curve again is a fast process -at least compared to Sweet Room. (I am using Roon in a nuc.)

I did the room measurement with the laptop (easy to carry to a different room), and did the filter design in my daw workstation. First, I installed the Impala too old/cheap laptop. Impala installed ok, but did not start at all - no error messages were shown. With the quick help of Focus Fidelity, the reason was found. My laptop's cpu was missing AVX instruction set. So, I needed to use better laptop. After that, everything went smoothly Smile