Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HQPlayer
Hopefully between the new version of HQPlayer and latest version Air the blu-screen issues will go away for you guys.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(17-Mar-2017, 21:39)Dr Tone Wrote: Hopefully between the new version of HQPlayer and latest version Air the blu-screen issues will go away for you guys.

I tried playing music with an earlier version of HQPlayer and the new AIR3 and it crashed to bluescreen after playing about 10 minutes... Let's see if the newest version of HQPlayer would help.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
I compared Jriver (22 now) that I've been using for some years to a trial version of HQPlayer. I used a Bootcamp Windows 10 on a Macbook Pro and either using Air or direct USB connection to the Devialet, HQPlayer sounded better. Even more improved when used a Hummingboard based NAA. Clearly the best sound I have heard in my system so far. With Roon's (yet to be tried) interface it could be a winning combination. At the same time, I have some issues with HQPlayer and I was hoping somebody here can help.
1. I also tried both Jriver and HQPlayer on the same Macbook Pro but using the MacOS. Same results, but for some reason HQPlayer got stuck on one album. I can't change the album, only the tracks within the same album. Rebooted the Mac several times, even installed the latest 3.16 HQPlayer, no change. The 'brush' that is supposed to clear the playlist is grey, I can't use it. Any ideas.
2. This is even a bigger problem. I only used the Macbook for A/B testing now and normally use a Desktop Win10 system for playback. On this one HQPlayer doesn't play/start any tracks. I get the blue line at the beginning running from left to right and back rather slowly (6-8 seconds) and then nothing. The time counter stays at zero and the track doesn't start. Sometimes I get an error message and HQPlayer needs to be closed. I only have 5 days left of the trial period and I'm not sure I want to buy something that is not working. What should I try? Other media players work well on the same PC.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(18-Mar-2017, 16:35)zdenes Wrote: I compared Jriver (22 now) that I've been using for some years to a trial version of HQPlayer. I used a Bootcamp Windows 10 on a Macbook Pro and either using Air or direct USB connection to the Devialet, HQPlayer sounded better. Even more improved when used a Hummingboard based NAA. Clearly the best sound I have heard in my system so far. With Roon's (yet to be tried) interface it could be a winning combination. At the same time, I have some issues with HQPlayer and I was hoping somebody here can help.
1. I also tried both Jriver and HQPlayer on the same Macbook Pro but using the MacOS. Same results, but for some reason HQPlayer got stuck on one album. I can't change the album, only the tracks within the same album. Rebooted the Mac several times, even installed the latest 3.16 HQPlayer, no change. The 'brush' that is supposed to clear the playlist is grey, I can't use it. Any ideas.
2. This is even a bigger problem. I only used the Macbook for A/B testing now and normally use a Desktop Win10 system for playback. On this one HQPlayer doesn't play/start any tracks. I get the blue line at the beginning running from left to right and back rather slowly (6-8 seconds) and then nothing. The time counter stays at zero and the track doesn't start. Sometimes I get an error message and HQPlayer needs to be closed. I only have 5 days left of the trial period and I'm not sure I want to buy something that is not working. What should I try? Other media players work well on the same PC.

I think it might be best to contact jussi directly.

1) Sounds like something related to the one album.  You will have to uninstall HQPlayer and go clean up the various other supporting file in their many different places on macOS to really clean it up before reinstalling.  I can't point you in the right direction as I don't have HQPlayer installed on my Macs.

2) Where is your music stored?  If it's on a network device, try moving some music local and see if you still have the issue.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Thanks for the response.
1) At one point I managed to unlock the player from that one album, but to be honest I don't remember what I did, maybe rebooting after waiting longer or something like that. Then it got stuck in the next album I played.

2) I have all the files stored locally on an internal sata-HDD and they work fine with Jriver. I guess I will have to contact Jussi.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
(18-Mar-2017, 17:35)zdenes Wrote: Thanks for the response.
1) At one point I managed to unlock the player from that one album, but to be honest I don't remember what I did, maybe rebooting after waiting longer or something like that. Then it got stuck in the next album I played.

2) I have all the files stored locally on an internal sata-HDD and they work fine with Jriver. I guess I will have to contact Jussi.

2) Make sure nothing else is using your output audio device.  HQPlayer want exclusive access to it and may be crapping out because it can't get exclusive access to it.

I noticed last night that I was still getting some intersample clipping with HQPlayer set to -3db. Went to -4db to stop it on this one particular track.

FYI for anyone else out there.

Does anybody know how to contact Jussi Laako at HQPlayer?
I sent an e-mail (twice) to the address given on their homepage and came back with " Unrouteable address" error.
Ok now I'm digging the poly-sinc-xtr-mp with auto rate family turned on.

Apparently the xtr filters were loosely modelled after the filtering in Chord DACs.

(20-Mar-2017, 23:47)zdenes Wrote: Does anybody know how to contact Jussi Laako at HQPlayer?
I sent an e-mail (twice) to the address given on their homepage and came back with " Unrouteable address" error.

I have sent emails to Jussi last week and got answers within an hour.

jussi.laako(at)signalyst.com
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree