Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Invitation to send your PRO to Paris
(22-Mar-2018, 11:14)Celts88 Wrote: David

Sorry if you took offence to my comment about the tease, it was just a bit of tongue in cheek (hence the smiley).

Read your review and plenty detail, sounds as if you're happy with the CI upgrade and with the new software coming soon hopefully things will keep improving (especially less bugs).

Cheers
John

John,

No offence. I just took it literally and thought you hadn't seen my comments on my impressions.

David
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(22-Mar-2018, 11:57)Celts88 Wrote: Jeremy

Disappointed to hear about the new marks on your cases, bummer.

Expecting the same when I speak to Olivier, either he won't be able to say much as caught with not giving away any Devialet secrets, or as you said us being obsessed so actually knowing (in some areas at least).

Regarding Spotify there's a 60 day Premium free trial going on at the moment for us Aussies (Spotify Premium Free Trial). Not sure if you've signed up for any free trials before, if not then great, but if you have then just use a different email address and it'll give you a couple of months to give it a try (new CI software being out soon will give you a chance to see how stable it is).

Great advice mate, i'll give it a crack tonight Smile
Hey @Celts88 and @David A has the Devialet train stopped past either of you yet?
@wikeeboy

Perth starts tomorrow, hope the upgrade doesn't stuff things up (reading a lot of complaints about the latest Firmware 12.2.10 + DOS 2.2.0 RC3).

How's your 1000Pro going after the upgrade?
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(01-Apr-2018, 23:01)wikeeboy Wrote: Hey @Celts88  and @David A has the Devialet train stopped past either of you yet?

Yes. I dropped my 130 off at my dealer's on the 14th and picked it back up on the 16th so I've had it back at home for a fortnight. Working fine, sounds better than before the upgrade. I posted listening impressions in the listening impression thread.

Where are you at with your amp?
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Well finally got the CI upgrades carried out on my 1000Pro (2 x 250Pro's).

The upgrade went fine, and Olivier had them ready this afternoon as he said he would. Had a quick chat with him, but understand he's hesitant to say too much as Devialet won't be happy if he says too much (only thing he did answer was that Devialet certainly got the message about RAAT being a big deal for a lot of customers - but off course can't promise when this will happen).

After completing the CI upgrades Olivier set up my 1000Pro in the shop and attached a couple of small speakers to show the 1000Pro working with Roon, Spotify & Airplay.

So I get home tonight, set-up the 1000Pro and give it a bash. Bash is the appropriate word (bash my head against a wall) as now with a new config the Companion won't link, and Master shuts down when changing input (it will power back up, but the link isn't working so when turning on the 1000Pro only the Master comes on). Even with that when cycling through the options every-time it gets to AIR it shuts down the Master. Unfortunately can't skip AIR as iPhone remote is it's usual spinning wheel and is as much use as a fart in a space suit.

So went back to Beta 12 software and getting the link working (I have SPDIF to AES cable), but same problem with shutdown when getting to AIR. So at present I can watch TV, but can’t listen to any music via AIR (Roon), this is my biggest disappointment at the moment (I don’t have my Antipodes Server at present so can’t use USB connection).

So what do I think of the CI Upgrade - 'Tits on a Bull'

1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
John,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had nothing like that with my 130 Pro but that isn't a master/companion arrangement.

I did have a problem with my Config file (a new config I made) and contacted Olivier who checked the file for me, found it was corrupt, and corrected the editing which fixed the problem. A new config I later created to test some inputs I don't normally use worked fine.

When Olivier did his test for you in the shop, was he using Factory Config? If he was and you're using an old config from before the upgrade, could that be the problem? I seem to remember reading somewhere a suggestion/instruction to create a new config file so I wonder if it's worth your while to create a new config using the Configurator and instal that. No guarantees that it will work but it is worth a try.

At present we have no way of disabling the streaming input options like AIR, Spotify, and Bluetooth. We're going to have to wait for a new Configurator for that so until then we're forced to keep cycling through inputs we don't use when we change inputs which is a pain but that's a minor inconvenience in comparison to the companion link not working.

David

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
David

Actually when I first tried with my old config file on my 1000Pro CI it actually ran for a while, both Master & Companion, but then after 10 minutes started to get a “wobble” in the sound (best I can describe), so I did a brand new config file, and then the problems really started (SPDIF to AES cable worked before, but new config no good).

Olivier did a standard config in the shop, but off course that had none of my connections/inputs. I sent him a message and he said the issues with the Companion was because the impedances from SPDIF and AES are not the same (respectively 75 ohms and 110 ohms). I then said to him that none of this had been mentioned previously by Devialet, and if I had to use SPDIF-to-SPDIF then could only use single sub output and I had 2 Audioquest cables specially for this. Also that he only gave me a cheaper SPDIF cable and my good SPDIF-to-AES cable would be redundant to. I did say about how when trying my old config it worked via both Master & Companion, but only had issue when using new config (if AES cable was issue then how come it worked at start up).

I sent a message to the Beta program email and Mathieu answered. I sent him a copy of my new config files, but he never said there was anything wrong with them. He asked me to take photos of the top of Pro window and show the software it was running. I went through all 7 windows and then he came back and said the problem was OSCA should be ver0.18, not 0.17 as showing in my photos. I then explained to him that OSCA 0.18 was for RC3 and 0.17 for Beta12. I even did a brand new download of RC3 & Beta12 from the link in the emails from Judith and sent him folder/file screenshots to show they were exactly the same as the ones I was using (actually reloaded both RC3 & Beta12 onto 1000Pro, but still same problems with no link to Companion and shutting down after cycling through inputs).

Actually one of the earlier times when using Beta12 the Master & Companion worked in sync again with my SPDIF-to-AES cable (this worked for easily 30-40 minutes), but still had issue where it would shutdown my 1000Pro when I went to cycle through to the next input (Air or USB couldn't see before shutdown). I then tried cycling through different outputs using the iPhone remote, but didn't matter what I picked (AIR, USB, Spotify, Airplay, etc.) it shut down the Pro. Only when I turn on the Pro will it stay on, I have my 1000Pro to start on TV (Optical 1) when first powering up, so I can't change to any input except for TV. Reloaded RC3 & Beta12 again to my 1000Pro, but then lost Companion again (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't), and still same shutdown problems when cycling to next output (AIR or USB).

Coming up for five months after Core Infinity was released and the latest software is still full of bugs.

I eventually gave up at 3.30am. By that time I'd had enough of this Core Infinity Upgrade, couldn't play any music, total failure as far as I’m concerned.

Australia (Perth)
Hey John,

I haven't had a lot of play time with the upgraded D1000, but when i first set it up i had the same issue in that the companion wasn't linking to the master. I also use a rca->aes link.

I had to create a new config from scratch, this then fixed everything. First time round i used a saved config from the configurator, which i then modified a little and saved, then used to update the config in the Devs. For some reason i needed to create a completely new one before things fired up properly.

I havent tried anything other than the aes input, which works fine.

The most annoying issue i have is the remnote app is really flaky. It often doesn't turn the units on, and even when manually tuirning the units on the remote doesn't work. I have to shut down the app entirely, then manually turn on the units, then things usually go back to normal. I think it is so ridiculous we are still having to use such an outdated app! If Devialet want to look at a comparative app, look at the Bel Canto Black app.

That all aside, i played tunes for an hour or so over the weekend and my oh my.... the D1000 and the TAD CR1's can bring you to tears. Just bloody amazing! The sweetest highs, and crazy gut wrenching lows. The control on the woofers makes every part of the house shake!
John,

I think I remember seeing somewhere that some people had problems installing the betas. Olivier installed the previous beta on mine and I had to instal the current beta myself. I followed the instructions in the read me file in the beta package precisely and it installed OK. I would recommend trying a new install. I don't know where I saw and I just spent a bit of time searching threads but came up with nothing.

Ditto for comments on old config files not working and needing to create a totally new one, not edit an old one. I don't know why editing an old one might cause problems while creating an entirely new one should work but it seems that there is something in doing it that way which does make a difference so I'd try that also.

I sometimes think that audio depends a lot on voodoo. You have to sacrifice chickens, do it on the dark side of the mountain on the night of the new moon, etc, etc, etc. Who knows why following the exact steps works when there shouldn't be a difference between that and what you did but it seems that sometimes doing the full voodoo and following the instructions blindly makes a difference, even though common sense and everything you think you know tells you that it shouldn't make a difference. All I can think of is that in many ways a Devialet is as much or more a computer as it is an amplifier and computers don't make mistakes. They just do exactly what they're programmed to do and people, who can and do make mistakes or do funny things at time, write the programs. Computer logic isn't human logic. Perhaps there's something in the firmware that looks for a creation date in the config file and spits the dummy if the date is before the date of the CI installation, and perhaps there's 2 dates buried in the config files, an original creation date and an edit date and the firmware doesn't care about the edit date, just the creation date for the config file. That's about the only thing I've been able to think of and I could well be wrong but it seems that there is a difference between how the CI firmware treats an older config file that has been edited and a brand new config file.

David

Brisbane, Qld, Australia