Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Fault A 4098 OVER VOLTAGE
I have experienced this issue perhaps once or twice after installing the latest FW. So yeah, it’s still happening here as well but fortunately it happens quite rarely.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(25-Sep-2018, 16:55)AlexS Wrote: Any updates on this over-voltage fault from anyone? I keep on getting the error occasionally, and can't get any useful info from Devialet support. Is it still happening to those who used to get the problem in the past? I don't think there was ever a FW fix for it. Recently, Mathiew Pernot sent me an alpha version (if that) with a potential fix, which did not help me (it made things worse if anything).
What puzzles me most is that the Voltage in my house is normally about 122V. I don't see how it can possibly get out of the range Devialet claims to handle. Obviously, there may be voltage spikes, but none of my other equipment has shown any sensitivity to them.
Have they gone back to telling you it's the incoming voltage? I'm convinced it's not but could believe support might change tune when they forget.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(25-Sep-2018, 22:29)Soniclife Wrote: Have they gone back to telling you it's the incoming voltage? I'm convinced it's not but could believe support might change tune when they forget.

That's the trouble I'm having with them: they can't tell me anything definitive! However, I came to the conclusion that even if there is a bug with their FW (or a deficiency with the power supply), it must still be triggered by some fluctuations in the mains. I may not see this problem for a month, and then it would happen two times a week. Also, during a thunderstorm I saw it happen several times in a row. Plus many people don't experience the problem at all. Therefore, potentially, it can be fixed by a Voltage Regulator / Attenuator. My problem is that without knowing what exactly triggers this over-voltage fault in Devialet, I can't choose the right device, and some of them are quite expensive.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
My logic for why it is not the incoming mains is as follows.

I have dual mono plugged into the same double socket, they are affected independently, where as the mains voltage must be the same going into both.
It happens a lot with specific SAM settings, but not with other settings.
I have monitored my mains, and they were fine when it happend.
It's worse when I play loud and with deep bass music.
It's not my amps, they leant me a 440 to try, it happend within a few mins of powering on with my 'bad SAM' settings.

All of the above tells me it's some sort of firmware / maths / DSP issue, something is being too clever internally.

If they tell you it's your mains again challenge them to provide a mains conditioner or voltage logger for your mains to prove it, it would be useful diagnostics for them.

If you are using SAM change it's % setting 1% and see if it gets better or worse.

This feels like a rounding error bug to me, so any tiny change in SAM % will change the calculation.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(26-Sep-2018, 15:15)AlexS Wrote:
(25-Sep-2018, 22:29)Soniclife Wrote: Have they gone back to telling you it's the incoming voltage? I'm convinced it's not but could believe support might change tune when they forget.

That's the trouble I'm having with them: they can't tell me anything definitive! However, I came to the conclusion that even if there is a bug with their FW (or a deficiency with the power supply), it must still be triggered by some fluctuations in the mains. I may not see this problem for a month, and then it would happen two times a week. Also, during a thunderstorm I saw it happen several times in a row. Plus many people don't experience the problem at all. Therefore, potentially, it can be fixed by a Voltage Regulator / Attenuator. My problem is that without knowing what exactly triggers this over-voltage fault in Devialet, I can't choose the right device, and some of them are quite expensive.

Is it worth spending any money on? At worst, it causes a split second drop out of sound.
As I quoted from Devialet in one of my earlier posts:

"In addition, microprocessor control of each amplification channel ensures their constant auto-calibration, as well as limitless protection against all of the following potential hazards: overvoltages, overloads, power pulses, thermal events."

So, with limitless protection, it can’t harm your amp(s), and, as you say, if you don’t know what’s causing it, how can you even begin to cure it? It’s probably one of those things that we’ll never get to the bottom of.
I’ve stopped worrying about it.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(26-Sep-2018, 15:56)Soniclife Wrote: My logic for why it is not the incoming mains is as follows.

I have dual mono plugged into the same double socket, they are affected independently, where as the mains voltage must be the same going into both.
It happens a lot with specific SAM settings, but not with other settings.
I have monitored my mains, and they were fine when it happend.
It's worse when I play loud and with deep bass music.
It's not my amps, they leant me a 440 to try, it happend within a few mins of powering on with my 'bad SAM' settings.

All of the above tells me it's some sort of firmware / maths / DSP issue, something is being too clever internally.

If they tell you it's your mains again challenge them to provide a mains conditioner or voltage logger for your mains to prove it, it would be useful diagnostics for them.

If you are using SAM change it's % setting 1% and see if it gets better or worse.

This feels like a rounding error bug to me, so any tiny change in SAM % will change the calculation.

You have interesting points. The strongest argument is that with the dual mono setup, you get the error for the individual units. However, as you've noted, if the condition depends on the internal state of the amp, the left and right channels process different data at any given point of time.
My main reason for suspecting issues with the mains is that for me, the problem manifests itself more frequently in the summer, and during thunderstorms. What's more, it usually happens after 11, when the voltage may be bumped up by my electric company, due to lowering demand related to Air Conditioning. All in all, enough evidence to prove that the problem requires some predictable external conditions (SAM may be exacerbating the problem, and that's why I've always stayed away from it).

As for @Axel's comment about not worrying it, there is definitely a large degree of wisdom in it. And yet I can't stand these sudden interruptions (they give me a start). If I can spend under $1000, and solve it once and for all, I will.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
I started to monitor this error: it occurs 11 times during last week!!!
I also performed multiple tests in order to find what is triggering this error. As far as I can see, SAM functionality is to blame. The error never occurs with SAM = OFF, but it occurs with SAM = ON no mater the SAM % value (I made tests with multiple values, starting from 0% up to 100%).

Also, on my unit, the error occurs also at very low volume levels (e.g. -28.5 dB).

I believe that this error is relating to the second SAM functionality, and his not very good software implementation: "Secondly, SAM provides a great protection to your loudspeakers. Indeed, the maximum excursion of the speaker driver, and maximum continuous power handling of each speaker are set with SAM. The speakers will not be able to go over this physical limit. As a result, SAM helps to prevent any damage that could occur when listening at high levels."
This happens every now and then With my Expert 220 pro also. With varying time intervals, it can take 2-3 weeks between each time, but sometimes 2 times at the same day. My dealer says that Devialet are aware of it, and will fix this in a future update. I also asked Devialet about this, and they comfirm this. Here is their reply:

"Thanks for reaching out!
Do not worry, there is no further steps on your side;
We are aware of this minor issue, it means that lately an internal bug on our side is creating this error message. We understand that this can be annoying when it happened and our engineers are working on it.
However, this does not damage the unit in any way, and this should be solved in a future firmware update. "
Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Bryston BCD-3 , Roon, Technics SL 1500C, PMC Twenty5.24. Isotek, Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
Is your 220 Pro fitted with the CI board and running the latest firmware?

I had this same issue many times with my 220 Pro, and I had the same response from Devialet. But since the upgrade to the CI and the latest firmware I’ve not had the alarm since. I’m now running two 220’s as a 440 Pro and not seen the alarm on the 440 Pro either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
Yes, I do have the CI board, and the latest firmware.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Bryston BCD-3 , Roon, Technics SL 1500C, PMC Twenty5.24. Isotek, Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro