Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linn Akurate DSM
Tomorrow I should be getting my hands on an Akurate DS demo unit. This is to test its digital output and in particular Tidal integration from both a usability and SQ perspective.

Rufus is going to lend me his Transparent Ref XL SPDIF so that we can compare against my totaldac d1 server as a transport (the totaldac has a Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU connection to the Devialet, the Linn Akurate DS only has an SPDIF output). I think it will also be interesting to connect the Akurate to the totaldac, making use of the totaldac's powerful reclocker. 

I'll post some screen shots of Linn's Kazoo too, so you can all see what Tidal looks like in the application.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
interesting. very keen on the tidal integration piece
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Hi guys I've just updated the heading as it's actually a Linn Exakt Akurate DSM that I have here!

So the first thing I did was connect it to the network via ethernet cable. Then I launched Linn Konfig on my Mac to configure it. The device was already listed there. What a dream to use compared to all the hassle with the Devialet configurator. The Konfig app talks to the Akurate box and is also connected to Linn via the internet so any firmware updates can be done on the fly.

I disabled the pre-amp section and selected the digital output to raw (I may need to revisit this setting).

Here are a few screenshots to show you:

Here you can see I have bitrate options for Tidal:

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Here's a pic of the device itself:

Guillaume

UK
Looking forward to hearing your views

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
So the next thing I do is click on Kazoo on my iPad and I get this screen:

So I click on the Tidal tile and it asks me for my login and password and then I get this screen:

Here is another view of Tidal playlists...

Guillaume

UK
Seems to be working like a charm I wish my Aurender will be able to do that after the beta testing

Dubai, UAE
(02-Mar-2015, 14:36)amabrok Wrote: Seems to be working like a charm I wish my Aurender will be able to do that after the beta testing

I'm really impressed. No idea on SQ though! I need to find an SPDIF to connect to the Devialet. Rufus is bringing a decent one round tomorrow.

The unit seems brand new so I really need to run it for a few hours before objective listening though.

Guillaume

UK
Hello Guilaume - Firstly let me take this opportunity to thank you and others for doing all the detailed setup, to auditioning to finally assessment.

How is the Accurate connected to your Devialet ?. is this through AIR_ETH? or a physical connection goes to Devialet?
i see HDMI out, SPDIF, Tousling outputs.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(02-Mar-2015, 14:50)Jnan_devi Wrote: How is the Accurate connected to your Devialet ?. is this through AIR_ETH? or a physical connection goes to Devialet?
i see HDMI out, SPDIF, Tousling outputs.

The Akurate DS is connected via SPDIF digital out. At the moment I have connected it to the totaldac d1 server. As well as being a streamer the totaldac also has digital inputs (USB, optical, SPDIF and AES/EBU) so you can even connect a CD player through it if you want. This allows you to reclock the signal and then send it onto the Devialet.

I've just played a few tracks and my first impression is wow! This is good! Then I switched to the MPD input and played the same track and I almost can't believe what I'm hearing! 

But I think this is now 7.5 to 10!

I'm using a cheapish old Chord SPDIF cable, when Rufus comes tomorrow we will experiment with the Transparent Ref XL. 

Now I need to configure the Master so it can take an extra digital input, almost dreading this!  Tongue

Guillaume

UK