Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 vs. Devialet Expert 220 Pro
I saw this Opus 51 review of the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400, which, in terms of specs, is a direct competitor of the Devialet Expert 220 Pro.  It's a French review, so I had to use Google Translate to read it.  The Lyngdorf is a direct digital integrated amp, is Roon Ready, and has a sophisticated room correction system, dubbed Room Perfect, which, in a sense, could replace the functionality of SAM with some key differences (SAM protects the speaker and specifically optimizes it while Room Perfect optimizes any speaker for your specific room).  Here is a summary with a reference to Devialet:

The Lyngdorf TDAI-3400  is the "Swiss army knife" of HiFi. It is a DAC, audio server, room corrector and amplifier. All in all, for a tight budget (about 5,000 euros) you will be the proud owner of a simple and discreet box, a technology easy to implement that will replace almost all the elements of your high-fidelity system for a result much higher than what a Devialet 220 Pro can offer, for example.

While I recognize this is a Devialet community site, does anyone have experience with Lyngdorf, whether the TDAI-3400 or its precursor TDAI-2170?
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
The integrated amp/DAC that my Devialet D-Premier (back then, now a 250 Pro CI) directly replaced was the Lyngdorf TDAi2200 with RoomPerfect. It was no comparison, the Devialet was so much better.

This was 2014 though, different models, and I can imagine Lyngdorf has not stood still but then again neither has Devialet.

No sure though if your quote refers to sound quality, the feature set or both.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(23-Mar-2019, 15:47)Antoine Wrote: The integrated amp/DAC that my Devialet D-Premier (back then, now a 250 Pro CI) directly replaced was the Lyngdorf TDAi2200 with RoomPerfect. It was no comparison, the Devialet was so much better.

This was 2014 though, different models, and I can imagine Lyngdorf has not stood still but then again neither has Devialet.

No sure though if your quote refers to sound quality, the feature set or both.

Thanks Antoine.  The review is unclear about whether it was referring to SQ, feature set, or both! 

I am considering the TDAI-3400, as with my Devialet 200 trade-in or sale, it would be less than upgrading to the Pro series.

Cheers, Michael
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
OK I see, well, if possible I’d sureley arrange a home audition (for some days or weeks not just a few hours) if I was you before deciding. Especially if you’d employ RoomPerfect as this requires some re-adjustment. Good luck!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
The Devialet does not have room correction but has much lower distortion and noise - some people like a bit of distortion and noise added though.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(23-Mar-2019, 16:18)Antoine Wrote: OK I see, well, if possible I’d sureley arrange a home audition (for some days or weeks not just a few hours) if I was you before deciding. Especially if you’d employ RoomPerfect as this requires some re-adjustment. Good luck!
Thanks Antoine!
(23-Mar-2019, 19:29)f1eng Wrote: The Devialet does not have room correction but has much lower distortion and noise - some people like a bit of distortion and noise added though.

My 67-year-old ears might not be able to discern the gap!
Looking at the Opus 51 website, they have never reviewed any Devialet product, let alone a 220Pro. So either they have had one in their demo room and chose not to publish a review (which seems unlikely), or the comment is based just on features, or maybe listening elsewhere. So the comment cannot really be valid in terms of a direct sound quality comparison.

Furthermore, I notice that there are links from the review that allow you to purchase Lyngdorf products directly from the Opus 51 website, and that Opus 51 is a hifi store in Champigny France that does not stock Devialet products.

The Lyngdorf may well be excellent or it may not, I cannot comment as I have never heard one, I just wouldn't read too much into the rather unclear comment in the "review".
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Perhaps this similar thread may be more useful bearing in mind that a switch was made from Lyngdorf to Devialet.
(24-Mar-2019, 10:42)Confused Wrote: Looking at the Opus 51 website, they have never reviewed any Devialet product, let alone a 220Pro. 

Actually, the site did a review on a Devialet Expert 200 (here) and perhaps (unfairly) extrapolated that to a 220Pro.

You raise a good point about a hifi store doing reviews.  One could assume that a store might review in favor of its products and dismiss those manufacturers that it does not carry.  On the other hand, after reading the reviews on the Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 and the Devialet 200, I sense (rightly or wrongly) an objectivity without totally extolling the virtues of one product and totally diminishing the other product.  What's rather surprising is that a hifi store would go to such lengths to provide more than just cursory reviews.

I also try to read as many professional and user reviews as possible to get a coherent picture, so this is just one data point.

I have really loved my Devialet 200 but am reluctant to pony up the money for a Pro version without investigating other options.

Finally, thanks for pointing out what I didn't know about Opus 51; that will certain enter into my final equation.