Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS!
(16-Nov-2019, 00:57)daibaron Wrote: Upnp is just a protocol that carries information to the decoder not very sure it really change the way the music sounds.
You could argue that all "transports" are digital and carry ones and zeros, yet they sound different. Suggest you do a comparison to hear for yourself.
Thanks for the details! Does Audirvana only work with your owner music library? Or does it also work to integrate HiFi streaming services like Tidal?
Works with Tidal Qobuz and my favourite upcoming streaming star Highresaudio.
(15-Nov-2019, 11:01)Memarkiam Wrote: Hi - I"m very interested to read this.

Do you know at all if I'm able to achieve something similar with Roon running on a Windows machine?

My library is a mix of my own ripped CD's at various qualities up to lossless (and some hi-res files), and Tidal/Qobuz subscription from CD up to Hi-Res.

Currently roon lowers hi-res files to CD/Lossless for Airplay compatibility with my Phantom Gold. Bit annoying and disappointing that. 

How can I get around this limitation?

Thanks!
Mark

If you want to use Roon then I suggest you to connect a RAAT endpoint via optical to one of the Phantoms. This works with DOS1 and DOS2 on Phantom Premiers. The optical input accepts up to 24/192k. I use a Raspberry PI 3B with a Digi+ board (for around 80 Euros in total) that runs the Roonbridge and the Roon extension for direct volume control of the Phantoms. Like this I do not need Spark and have my room control filters from HAF installed in Roon. Perfect sound for already a couple of years!
(16-Nov-2019, 04:15)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(16-Nov-2019, 00:57)daibaron Wrote: Upnp is just a protocol that carries information to the decoder not very sure it really change the way the music sounds.
You could argue that all "transports" are digital and carry ones and zeros, yet they sound different. Suggest you do a comparison to hear for yourself.
Sure it does sound different, I was not arguing with you, I was just saying DOS 2 maybe add a new sound signature to the Phantom.
Also the source is digital , but the signal over Wifi or Ethernet is Analog and Analog&Digital but at the end it's supposed to be bit perfect.
Depending on the Upnp setting the music can also be transcoded.
Maybe someone expert and reading this post can explain us.
Please excuse my poor reputation
(16-Nov-2019, 11:58)superstock Wrote: Works with Tidal Qobuz and my favourite upcoming streaming star Highresaudio.
Yes, it works with Tidal, Qobuz and the like. I have tried Tidal and works well.
Karl,
Is your Mac mini hooked up only to your router?
Are the Phantoms hooked up via Ethernet to your network
(17-Nov-2019, 00:33)Mr_Bill Wrote: Karl,
Is your Mac mini hooked up only to your router?
Are the Phantoms hooked up via Ethernet to your network
 Yes, Im fortunate to have all my home wired with CAT7. I have the Mac mini hooked directly to the router via ethernet (kitchen) and then have the Phantoms connected to a gigabit network switch that is closer to them in the living room.
Karl,

I have a few questions.  Does your setup use LAN cable to get the music in digital form to the phantoms?  Is that where the UPnP advantage comes in?  Is your macmini always on such that you can readily play music from it whenever you want?  To date. I have yet to figure out how to keep my Macmini always on which I am guessing is made purposely convoluted in order to keep my carbon footprint smaller than it otherwise would be.  Your insight and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

JD
(17-Nov-2019, 15:46)JDtheJD Wrote: Karl,

I have a few questions.  Does your setup use LAN cable to get the music in digital form to the phantoms?  Is that where the UPnP advantage comes in?  Is your macmini always on such that you can readily play music from it whenever you want?  To date. I have yet to figure out how to keep my Macmini always on which I am guessing is made purposely convoluted in order to keep my carbon footprint smaller than it otherwise would be.  Your insight and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

JD

Does your setup use LAN cable to get the music in digital form to the phantoms?

YES, the Phantoms are wired with CAT7 cable and connected via a NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS105NA) to my home router, the NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12

Is that where the UPnP advantage comes in? 

Audirvana via UPnP allows me to use Sonarworks DSP, play 24/192 files and HiFi streaming services, such as Tidal, all this under DOS2

Is your macmini always on such that you can readily play music from it whenever you want? 

I connect to the MacMini through my other computers at home via Remote Display, I have no monitor, keyboard or mouse connected to it, and Yes, the MacMini is always ON. You can configure it to have it always ON through System Settings.