Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
NAD Masters M33 -- first review
In my opinion, the STEREO tests are not very meaningful. Apparently the test was also done without Dirac calibration.Nevertheless, the device was called "Endstation Sehnsucht".

Basically, the tests turn out according to the price and image. It's therefore not surprising for me that the Devialet scored more points.

My A3 worked well with the 220 Pro. But I have some room problems, so I have waited for a software solution. The Dirac solution with the M33 is hopefully the thing I have waited for.

I hope to get the M33 until the end of August.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
At the moment I am operating the A3 with a Powernode 2i for less than 1.000,00 € without any problems. If I am very honest, the sound quality is surprisingly good and the functionality is better.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
If you got room problems - try a Niagara 3000 or up and you will be blown away what it does. Think a dealer will loan you one for a few days.
Power conditioner will fix his room modes? Hmmmm...  Rolleyes
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(13-Aug-2020, 22:28)Delija Wrote: Power conditioner will fix his room modes? Hmmmm...  Rolleyes

Ai, ai, ai, ai...
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
This should be good for folks who want room correction with Devialet until Devialet provides it.
Its around $900 USD. I almost bought it but then went for Trinnov processor which does double duty for Home Theater as well.
https://www.minidsp.com/products/streami...shd-studio
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
Are you trying by intention to get me wrong here?! Of course a power supply won‘t change at all any room acoustics or modes. But the thing is it makes a huge difference of a Devialet is run with it’s switching power supply to the overall perception. Booming bass, which is also overlying mids etc can be solved for example with it. As I said just try them with a Devialet - also some friends having a 220 Pro or 440 Pro couldn’t believe it first and were really excited.
(14-Aug-2020, 07:52)markush Wrote: Are you trying by intention to get me wrong here?! Of course a power supply won‘t change at all any room acoustics or modes. But the thing is it makes a huge difference of a Devialet is run with it’s switching power supply to the overall perception. Booming bass, which is also overlying mids etc can be solved for example with it. As I said just try them with a Devialet - also some friends having a 220 Pro or 440 Pro couldn’t believe it first and were really excited.

I'm going to be picky here.

In your original post, which was in response to a specific reference to the M3 and it's ability to apply digital room correction, you said "If you got room problems - try a Niagara 3000 or up and you will be blown away what it does." You specifically suggested that the Niagara 3000 or higher models are effective against "room problems".

Now you say, correctly, that that it won't impact on "room acoustics or modes" but that it makes a difference on a Devialet with it's switching power supply and that "Booming bass, which is also overlying mids etc can be solved for example with it".

Well, if the Niagara can't change room acoustics or modes, then it won't do anything for room problems  and you originally said it would. Now you refer to the Devialet's switch mode power supply, definitely not a room problem, and that the Niagara can solve booming bass problems but there's no mention of how the Devialet's power supply can cause booming bass.

I think power conditioning is a good idea, and I think addressing room modal behaviour is a good idea—look at the system in my signature and you'll see I'm among the converted because my system includes both a power conditioner and acoustic room treatments. My problem is not that you're asserting that power conditioning is beneficial because I agree with that. My problem is that you first linked it to room problems which it does not and cannot address, and now you're suggesting that it can address "booming bass" without any explanation of how booming base can be solved with power conditioning. Any claims I can rememvber seeing from manufacturers of power conditioners has never stated that booming bass is a problem power conditioners can address, they talk about cleaning up the sound generally through a reduction in electrical noise and I can also never remember ever seeing any suggestion that there is something about the Devialet's switch mode power supply or about switch mode power supplies in general that has ever lined a switch mode power supply to booming bass problems.

Please explain how a power conditioner can affect booming bass, what connection the Devialet's switch mode power supply has to booming bass problems, and whether Audioquest recommend their Niagara power conditi0ners as a remedy for booming bass. I will add that we are all familiar with manufacturers making claims for their products which are not borne out in practice but I doubt that any of us have seen manufacturers being reluctant or slow to publicise claims for things their products actually do deliver.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(14-Aug-2020, 05:03)sam1000 Wrote: This should be good for folks who want room correction with Devialet until Devialet provides it.
Its around $900 USD. I almost bought it but then went for Trinnov processor which does double duty for Home Theater as well.
https://www.minidsp.com/products/streami...shd-studio

This is interesting, thank you. It would be even more interesting if this unit had an external 10 MHz clock input. Wink

This would become an alternative to the Mute MC-3+USB, performing both USB -> AES/EBU D->D conversion and also room correction at the same time.

Now, I am unclear how the minds works with Roon?

For those using a Mac mini as music source, it's also possible to run Dirac Live on the Mac, but again the integration with Roon is unclear.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
https://www.newswire.com/news/nad-electr...p-21190683