Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
NAD Masters M33 -- first review
(31-Aug-2020, 01:06)mdconnelly Wrote: My point about using a professional to setup Dirac is that I've seen numerous comments from Dirac users that it takes someone who really knows how to use it to make it shine.  Nothing wrong with that but I suspect that for most owners, seeking a professional will likely not happen. 
Many of the comments refer to the older versions of Dirac Live, where there were numerous parameters that could be tweaked. With the latest release, it is playing with target curves and there are 4/5 common target curves.  It is a relatively simple process and most people (but not Darko!) can do this without referring to an expert.  If ever Devialet get Dirac Live, I will be happy to publish my guidelines here.

(31-Aug-2020, 01:06)mdconnelly Wrote: I can only imagine how excited I'd be if Devialet announced Dirac integration.  Just not holding my breath on that one.
If ever...

(31-Aug-2020, 03:04)David A Wrote: There are valid reasons why a Devialet user may have no use for SAM and why an M33 user may have no use for Dirac live, and those reasons plus the fact that the 2 technologies involved are correcting quite different problems, are why it really does make sense to compare amps with technologies such as these to each other without these technologies active if you're going to compare one amp to another.
When I evaluate an audio component, I listen and evaluate its sound quality first and foremost, using its full capabilities.  Comparing technology for technology sake is way down on my list.  We have to agree to disagree on this...
Had a talk with Dirac and they are intending to have an exchange with Devialet. Unfortunately the management team there is changing all the time Undecided
(31-Aug-2020, 09:23)jvoki Wrote: another new product review from a Czech server from an experienced reviewer.  The main advantage is again in Dirac functionality and ease of use.  

https://www.hifi-voice.com/testy-a-recen...36-nad-m33

ps: I have no knowledge of purifi modules.  Can it be expected that it will be used in other brands of amplifiers ?  Or just NAD? 
When I look at technology, there's a box from NAD.  Dirac, BluOS software and purifi is from a partner?

If I read the review right, it’s not only Dirac

„...NAD, that all of the functional units combined, it is said that the M33 in its category of the most realistic player amplifier is, however, can be done. Purifi technology has also improved transparency and provided comprehensive performance and control as well as a dynamic dynamic....“
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
https://www.hifinews.com/content/nad-m33...ing-dacamp

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksparrow...d04daa2d06

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php...lifier-dac

No different reviews and verdicts...
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
There is a very positive review in the last Stereophile also.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
John Darko reviewed the nad and loved it, saying Dirac played a huge part in achieving a more enjoyable sound than he was used to with his klipsch forte
https://youtu.be/0pG1qmjMTbE
D220 Expert Pro CI. Totem Acoustic Tribe Tower Loudspeakers.
Phantom Reactor 600 for Mrs Oz.
Unfortunately, I do not think it’s Roon Ready certified yet. Still want a chance to hear it but won’t go there until I know it’s certified.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(24-Sep-2020, 23:34)mdconnelly Wrote: Unfortunately, I do not think it’s Roon Ready certified yet.  Still want a chance to hear it but won’t go there until I know it’s certified.

I can't see it bettering the 220, let alone two of em! However if Dirac can elevate the sound to make up for it, coupled with with a better app and connectivity then I could certainly see merit in buying one. The digital vu meters look fabulous too.
D220 Expert Pro CI. Totem Acoustic Tribe Tower Loudspeakers.
Phantom Reactor 600 for Mrs Oz.
If sound quality was comparable to the Expert Pros and it was Roon Ready, then the addition of Dirac would make it quite attractive. Still, the only way to know for sure is a head-to-head comparison - my room, my ears. That's not likely to happen anytime soon.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(25-Sep-2020, 15:05)mdconnelly Wrote: If sound quality was comparable to the Expert Pros and it was Roon Ready, then the addition of Dirac would make it quite attractive.  Still, the only way to know for sure is a head-to-head comparison - my room, my ears.  That's not likely to happen anytime soon.

All test devices were already Roon Ready (see f.e. the Darko review). Roon Readiness is therefore beyond question. For the sound quality RR does not play the decisive role anyway, Dirac is more valuable.