Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
NAD Masters M33 -- first review
I would be really cautious with these comparisons.

If someone is using Devialet just because he likes the look and/or one-box solution with decent sound quality - I'm sure today many other solutions will give him satisfactory results.

That's not the reason why I use Devialet. I would rather look at some big heavy metal boxes Smile, but I prefer Devialet sound quality and perfect subwoofer integration.

BTW, I've tried different room correction software (of course, including Dirac) and in the end for Hi-Fi / stereo critical listening I prefer using DSP only on subwoofers. I agree that in lower quality systems or/and in bad rooms it can bring more benefit than harm - but in hi-end stereo systems it deteriorates the sound quality - clarity, resolution, transparency, dynamics, soundstage, the finest details... I do use room correction in surround system.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(08-Oct-2020, 12:37)midi Wrote:
(07-Oct-2020, 22:36)mdconnelly Wrote:
(07-Oct-2020, 22:19)midi Wrote: Today I have got my M33. First impressions are very good. Functionality (software/OS, remote, display) is great. It sounds very good, even without Dirac (not tested until now). It’s a clean, very detailed but “smooth”sound.  Not the deepest bass, but clean and punchy. I can’t imagine I will miss my 220Pro.

So how are you streaming to the M33 since it is not yet Roon Ready certified?    I personally am very curious as to how well it fairs with your Magico A3s compared to the 220 Pro.

After the M33 firmware upgrade the M33 is an "uncertified device" for ROON, so ROON streaming isn't possible at the moment, but this is a ROON problem, they changed their mind for new devices. It should be solved in a few weeks, when the ROON certification process will be finished.

So for the moment I am streaming with the BluOS app (for iOS an OS), which is very good and (other than the Devialet apps) fully developed. I think there is no better manufacturer streaming software on the market than BluOS (perhaps besides the Sonos software). I am using BluOS on may second system with an Bluesound Powernode 2i. The M33 can be used as a source device for all BluOS Systems (multiroom included).

The usability of the M33 is much, much better than that of the Expert. The display is perfect, the remote is a programmable device
with which you can control nearly everything - ok it is not as beauty as the Devialet remote. but it's a real remote not only a better volume control.

I do not have the best acoustic requirements in my room, so I was especially looking forward to Dirac. I have made the first attempts with Dirac and it is like day and night (although it was already better without Dirac, SAM was difficult for me). Even though I still have to adjust the Dirac corrections a little bit to my taste.

Unless the code running the M33 is radically different that the code in the M10, Roon streaming absolutely works.  It's not feature complete, but all basic playback functions for local and cloud libraries, along with proper decoding of MQA streams works.  At least on the M10, and has since release 18 months ago.  There are some quirks still, but that's for another post.
(08-Oct-2020, 12:46)midi Wrote:
(08-Oct-2020, 06:05)KraaijCheck Wrote:
(07-Oct-2020, 22:19)midi Wrote: Today I have got my M33. First impressions are very good. Functionality (software/OS, remote, display) is great. It sounds very good, even without Dirac (not tested until now). It’s a clean, very detailed but “smooth”sound.  Not the deepest bass, but clean and punchy. I can’t imagine I will miss my 220Pro.

Do you think the sound quality is comperabel with the D220?!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I am not someone who thinks I can distinguish the very last nuances. And I don't think it's realistic to listen to music with a magnifying glass and a microscope and then to describe flowery differences.

I have to enjoy the sound and not be annoyed. I also like a clear, detailed sound with a wide stage and a good staggering. The M33 offers all this without a doubt. The biggest difference for me after some hours is the bass. Here I now have a clean, tight sound, but with a little less power than the Expert (which was also due to SAM). But DIrac will still play a role here.

I cannot imagine that anyone will find the M33 disappointing even compared to the Expert 220 PRO.

Have you thought of using 'Sweet Room' and do a comparison? It would be a more level playing field. I actually wonder whether Devialet came up with 'Sweet Room' because of the introduction of the M33, which is probably the most likely competitor out there.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(08-Oct-2020, 21:12)Pim Wrote: Have you thought of using 'Sweet Room' and do a comparison? It would be a more level playing field. I actually wonder whether Devialet came up with 'Sweet Room' because of the introduction of the M33, which is probably the most likely competitor out there.

As a Devialet supporter, I think Sweet Room is 'too little too late'. I'm glad M33 is getting some attention here. That might force Devialet to add some features to be in the market. They really should have done Dirac integration like 2-3 years ago.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(08-Oct-2020, 21:58)sam1000 Wrote:
(08-Oct-2020, 21:12)Pim Wrote: Have you thought of using 'Sweet Room' and do a comparison? It would be a more level playing field. I actually wonder whether Devialet came up with 'Sweet Room' because of the introduction of the M33, which is probably the most likely competitor out there.

As a Devialet supporter, I think Sweet Room is 'too little too late'. I'm glad M33 is getting some attention here. That might force Devialet to add some features to be in the market. They really should have done Dirac integration like 2-3 years ago.

Yes too late. Years after spending a lot of money for an upgrade...
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
Have you thought of using 'Sweet Room' and do a comparison? It would be a more level playing field. I actually wonder whether Devialet came up with 'Sweet Room' because of the introduction of the M33, which is probably the most likely competitor out there.
[/quote]

No I have sold my PRO months ago.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
Hand has given it a firm thumbs up. https://youtu.be/_H9WMgZP1yY
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
If you want more power can you add more modules or amplifier units to the M33?

Very interested in how this would compare to the 440 Pro (or 1000 Pro) if you ran the M33 mono and doubled the amplification...
(09-Oct-2020, 22:56)wikeeboy Wrote: If you want more power can you add more modules or amplifier units to the M33?

Very interested in how this would compare to the 440 Pro (or 1000 Pro) if you ran the M33 mono and doubled the amplification...

As I understand it, the M33 can be put into bridge mode, making it a mono amp with double the power output. You then need to add a separate mono power amp to take care of the other channel, which NAD are working on.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(10-Oct-2020, 00:12)Axel Wrote:
(09-Oct-2020, 22:56)wikeeboy Wrote: If you want more power can you add more modules or amplifier units to the M33?

As I understand it, the M33 can be put into bridge mode, making it a mono amp with double the power output. You then need to add a separate matching amp to take care of the other channel, which NAD are working on.

VERY interested in giving that a go. Seems power is the only thing the M33 gives up compared to Devialet, so doubling the power would make this a very compelling option.