Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
NAD Masters M33 -- first review
(25-Sep-2020, 10:48)Ozzzy189 Wrote:
(24-Sep-2020, 23:34)mdconnelly Wrote: Unfortunately, I do not think it’s Roon Ready certified yet.  Still want a chance to hear it but won’t go there until I know it’s certified.

I can't see it bettering the 220, let alone two of em! However if Dirac can elevate the sound to make up for it, coupled with with a better app and connectivity then I could certainly see merit in buying one. The digital vu meters look fabulous too.

Even if - two experts cost three times as much.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(25-Sep-2020, 18:35)midi Wrote:
(25-Sep-2020, 15:05)mdconnelly Wrote: If sound quality was comparable to the Expert Pros and it was Roon Ready, then the addition of Dirac would make it quite attractive.  Still, the only way to know for sure is a head-to-head comparison - my room, my ears.  That's not likely to happen anytime soon.

All test devices were already Roon Ready (see f.e. the Darko review). Roon Readiness is therefore beyond question. For the sound quality RR does not play the decisive role anyway, Dirac is more valuable.

Agreed.  But with Roon now requiring Roon Ready certification, it is imperative that the certification be issued, otherwise Roon will simply not allow the M33 to stream via Roon RAAT.   But, I have no doubt that NAD & Roon will make this happen soon.   From what I understand, getting an M33 is still a challenge in that they're still in short supply.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(25-Sep-2020, 18:59)mdconnelly Wrote:
(25-Sep-2020, 18:35)midi Wrote:
(25-Sep-2020, 15:05)mdconnelly Wrote: If sound quality was comparable to the Expert Pros and it was Roon Ready, then the addition of Dirac would make it quite attractive.  Still, the only way to know for sure is a head-to-head comparison - my room, my ears.  That's not likely to happen anytime soon.

All test devices were already Roon Ready (see f.e. the Darko review). Roon Readiness is therefore beyond question. For the sound quality RR does not play the decisive role anyway, Dirac is more valuable.

Agreed.  But with Roon now requiring Roon Ready certification, it is imperative that the certification be issued, otherwise Roon will simply not allow the M33 to stream via Roon RAAT.   But, I have no doubt that NAD & Roon will make this happen soon.   From what I understand, getting an M33 is still a challenge in that they're still in short supply.

That's right. I don't know anybody (here in Germany) who has a device - test devices excluded. NAD announced that they would now process the orders quickly (no words about Roon).
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
Amazing listening experiences of the used amplification technology of the Nad M33:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxr0cyv9WZk
Today I have got my M33. First impressions are very good. Functionality (software/OS, remote, display) is great. It sounds very good, even without Dirac (not tested until now). It’s a clean, very detailed but “smooth”sound. Not the deepest bass, but clean and punchy. I can’t imagine I will miss my 220Pro.
(07-Oct-2020, 22:19)midi Wrote: Today I have got my M33. First impressions are very good. Functionality (software/OS, remote, display) is great. It sounds very good, even without Dirac (not tested until now). It’s a clean, very detailed but “smooth”sound.  Not the deepest bass, but clean and punchy. I can’t imagine I will miss my 220Pro.

So how are you streaming to the M33 since it is not yet Roon Ready certified?    I personally am very curious as to how well it fairs with your Magico A3s compared to the 220 Pro.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-...-amplifier

While I was reading the last paragraph, it sounded like Kal is describing Devialet. :-)
"But I don't want to leave you with the impression that the M33 is for newbies. It's good for that because of its simplicity. But I think anyone who wishes to make a change in their music system should consider the M33—especially those considering making the move into the world of internet streaming and file playback. Keep your beloved speakers and let the NAD M33 do everything else. It will do it all superbly."
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(07-Oct-2020, 22:19)midi Wrote: Today I have got my M33. First impressions are very good. Functionality (software/OS, remote, display) is great. It sounds very good, even without Dirac (not tested until now). It’s a clean, very detailed but “smooth”sound. Not the deepest bass, but clean and punchy. I can’t imagine I will miss my 220Pro.

Do you think the sound quality is comperabel with the D220?!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(07-Oct-2020, 22:36)mdconnelly Wrote:
(07-Oct-2020, 22:19)midi Wrote: Today I have got my M33. First impressions are very good. Functionality (software/OS, remote, display) is great. It sounds very good, even without Dirac (not tested until now). It’s a clean, very detailed but “smooth”sound.  Not the deepest bass, but clean and punchy. I can’t imagine I will miss my 220Pro.

So how are you streaming to the M33 since it is not yet Roon Ready certified?    I personally am very curious as to how well it fairs with your Magico A3s compared to the 220 Pro.

After the M33 firmware upgrade the M33 is an "uncertified device" for ROON, so ROON streaming isn't possible at the moment, but this is a ROON problem, they changed their mind for new devices. It should be solved in a few weeks, when the ROON certification process will be finished.

So for the moment I am streaming with the BluOS app (for iOS an OS), which is very good and (other than the Devialet apps) fully developed. I think there is no better manufacturer streaming software on the market than BluOS (perhaps besides the Sonos software). I am using BluOS on may second system with an Bluesound Powernode 2i. The M33 can be used as a source device for all BluOS Systems (multiroom included).

The usability of the M33 is much, much better than that of the Expert. The display is perfect, the remote is a programmable device
with which you can control nearly everything - ok it is not as beauty as the Devialet remote. but it's a real remote not only a better volume control.

I do not have the best acoustic requirements in my room, so I was especially looking forward to Dirac. I have made the first attempts with Dirac and it is like day and night (although it was already better without Dirac, SAM was difficult for me). Even though I still have to adjust the Dirac corrections a little bit to my taste.
(08-Oct-2020, 06:05)KraaijCheck Wrote:

Do you think the sound quality is comperabel with the D220?!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I am not someone who thinks I can distinguish the very last nuances. And I don't think it's realistic to listen to music with a magnifying glass and a microscope and then to describe flowery differences.

I have to enjoy the sound and not be annoyed. I also like a clear, detailed sound with a wide stage and a good staggering. The M33 offers all this without a doubt. The biggest difference for me after some hours is the bass. Here I now have a clean, tight sound, but with a little less power than the Expert (which was also due to SAM). But DIrac will still play a role here.

I cannot imagine that anyone will find the M33 disappointing even compared to the Expert 220 PRO.