Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
NAD Masters M33 -- first review
TIDAL Connect is working with the M33 on the first day. Another difference to Devialet...
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
I've listened to the M33 at my dealer. What can I say? It for sure is a good amp and probably a good competitor for the Dev 220.

Myself, I play with a 440 and that clearly is better, as to be expected. So it is not a giant killer, as nothing is honestly speaking...
Have you compared them directly in the same system?
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(22-Oct-2020, 14:47)Stino Wrote: I've listened to the M33 at my dealer. What can I say? It for sure is a good amp and probably a good competitor for the Dev 220.

Myself, I play with a 440 and that clearly is better, as to be expected. So it is not a giant killer, as nothing is honestly speaking...

Remarkable, if you think you can hear such clear gradations between such amplifiers in this price and class range. Without a 1:1 comparison I hardly think this is possible. But for the triple price you can already hear differences...

But with DIRAC the difference is audible for everyone. Did you listen with or without Dirac?
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
This is an amp I am currently considering to replace my D200.
The reviews seem very good and NAD have a long track record.
I am soon moving home and my living room will be smaller so the DIRAC might come in useful too.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
While I am not looking to replace my Dev 220 Pro. I have been following this M33 post with great interest, as I  once owned a NAD amp that I was very happy with. 

I forwarded this link to a local audio shop owner I know (a NAD distributor) wondering if they have had a chance to listen to a M33 yet, or compare to a devialet. 

The comment I got back was NO:  "NAD software is extremely buggy".... that next pastureture is not alway greener.  

I have concerns with Devialet's way of doing business, but seem to have gotten off light with fewer issues than most. It may be to early to tell, but the latest software up dates seems to offer some improvements (stability). Think I will wait a while before playing with weak offering.

When my Devialet amp is working well (not sputtering) I am very happy with it, reminding myself it takes less time to correct the issue than I once spent put a new vinyl album on that turntable is seldom use anymore.

Randy
NAD reliability is more than poor. Both hardware and software.
One of the first devices that came to my country is faulty - right channel is dead.

[Image: D7CB2DB6-0A93-4230-8E64-6B2AF9AB44A9.thu...4e4c7.jpeg]

(22-Oct-2020, 15:00)midi Wrote:
(22-Oct-2020, 14:47)Stino Wrote: I've listened to the M33 at my dealer. What can I say? It for sure is a good amp and probably a good competitor for the Dev 220.

Remarkable, if you think you can hear such clear gradations between such amplifiers in this price and class range. Without a 1:1 comparison I hardly think this is possible. But for the triple price you can already hear differences...

But with DIRAC the difference is audible for everyone. Did you listen with or without Dirac?

Hello, I did not do a direct comparison with the D220. The NAD had Dirac on (also tested it off and makes a difference indeed, even in a room with quite some treatment). The NAD sounded good - compared it to a Luxman top integrated - and for me up to the level of a D220 that I have had for quite some years and know very well, also in the room I was listening.

Compared to a D440:  no need to do a direct comparison. The Dev is another league, which is also to be expected looking at the price difference. I'm most curious about the pre-power combo that NAD will bring to the market. Maybe that can be a good competitor for the D440 which I currently enjoy a lot!
(22-Oct-2020, 22:43)Randy Christie Wrote: While I am not looking to replace my Dev 220 Pro. I have been following this M33 post with great interest, as I  once owned a NAD amp that I was very happy with. 

The comment I got back was NO:  "NAD software is extremely buggy".... that next pastureture is not alway greener.  

Randy

Sorry, but this message is not to be taken seriously. The statement is simply wrong or based on personal inadequacies.

I am using streaming devices/software for many years SONOS, AudioPRO, ROON, Audirvana, Devialet, BluOS and more.

I am using BluOS for about 2 years now. This software isn't buggy, it's very stable und comfortable. The only software which is nearly stable is the SONOS OS.

I would like to know from the dealer where exactly he noticed bugs.
Read some C658 and T758 topics on various forums. There are a zillion problems.

I hope M33 will be better, but as the picture above shows - it doesn't look very promising.