Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help choosing a streamer
I would like to keep it around 2,000 usd or less. I could stretch it to 2500-3k if it blows away everything else at or below the 2k limit.

My current equipment includes a d200, OPPO cd/dvd player and appletv, that I use as an airplay streamer for Apple Music subscription.for any input interface,  I mainly have Apple iOS devices (iMac, iPhones and iPads),  it I do have a pc I use for gaming mostly that resides fairly lose to my d200. The Mac (and my router) is in the opposite side of the room and would not be ideal for any direct cabling. Wi-Fi is preferable. And while I currently use Apple Music, I am planning to try quboz as soon as it’s available in the us, which should be anytime now. I tried tidal, but honestly I did. It care for tidal interface, plus I can’t tell a difference in sq over Apple Music. I have been using the Apple Music and tidal iOS apps and AirPlay thru the atv to the devialet, So I’m hoping once I have the app running natively on the streamer that the sq will improve. 

I initially was thinking I would like a cd ripper/server,  but I don’t have a very large cd collection that would make ripping cds a priority,  but if my choice has this option it would be a nice bonus. The innuos line looks good for a ripper/server/streamer,  but anything within my budget from innuos may not be worth it over other options listed below.

For streaming, which I mainly do, I was thinking lumin u1 mini or auralic Aries g1.  Both seem to be about equal price and close in specs from what I can tell. 

I have read some reviews of how good the sq is with the sotm s200, but I must admit that I am not sure exactly what it is or what options I would actually need if I did go with something like the sotm. Nor am I sure I can stream via WiFi to the sotm. Plus I think sotm is not as plug n play as all others I have listed. I don’t mind putting the time to learn if the sq of the sotm is beyond the other options I have listed.

So I’m hoping I can get some feedback from fellow members who have experience with these devices or any others that you can recommend highly.

Thanks,

Mike
(02-Jan-2019, 13:07)alaw Wrote: Really, there's no need to spend any money, a number of possibilities are already built into your Devialet...
You can use Roon with Devialet/RoonAIR, UPNP with minimserver (https://minimserver.com), or AirPlay with iTunes.

The D200 will only work with AIR of those options and the wifi is likely to need  a really strong signal to work, you would need one oft he newer models with the Core Infinity Board to support all the options above.

I Have an SOTM SMS-200 but have never used it with the Devialet (I use Roon/AIR) so can't comment on relative performance, it works well for me on my headphone rig from Roon, pretty much just plug and play.

It can support wifi with the right wifi adapter but I haven;'t tried it and they look to be quite hard to find the right one these days.

I know there are members here who use one with their Dev so should be along to help more.

cheers

Chris
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(02-Jan-2019, 06:10)mmorrison55 Wrote: I would like to keep it around 2,000 usd or less. I could stretch it to 2500-3k if it blows away everything else at or below the 2k limit.

My current equipment includes a d200, OPPO cd/dvd player and appletv, that I use as an airplay streamer for Apple Music subscription.for any input interface,  I mainly have Apple iOS devices (iMac, iPhones and iPads),  it I do have a pc I use for gaming mostly that resides fairly lose to my d200. The Mac (and my router) is in the opposite side of the room and would not be ideal for any direct cabling. Wi-Fi is preferable. And while I currently use Apple Music, I am planning to try quboz as soon as it’s available in the us, which should be anytime now. I tried tidal, but honestly I did. It care for tidal interface, plus I can’t tell a difference in sq over Apple Music. I have been using the Apple Music and tidal iOS apps and AirPlay thru the atv to the devialet, So I’m hoping once I have the app running natively on the streamer that the sq will improve. 

I initially was thinking I would like a cd ripper/server,  but I don’t have a very large cd collection that would make ripping cds a priority,  but if my choice has this option it would be a nice bonus. The innuos line looks good for a ripper/server/streamer,  but anything within my budget from innuos may not be worth it over other options listed below.

For streaming, which I mainly do, I was thinking lumin u1 mini or auralic Aries g1.  Both seem to be about equal price and close in specs from what I can tell. 

I have read some reviews of how good the sq is with the sotm s200, but I must admit that I am not sure exactly what it is or what options I would actually need if I did go with something like the sotm. Nor am I sure I can stream via WiFi to the sotm. Plus I think sotm is not as plug n play as all others I have listed. I don’t mind putting the time to learn if the sq of the sotm is beyond the other options I have listed.

So I’m hoping I can get some feedback from fellow members who have experience with these devices or any others that you can recommend highly.

Thanks,

Mike

Darkon on Allo One
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

I have the original Auralic Aries streaming bridge and am mostly happy with it. The beauty for me was to get rid of having to use my OPPO disc player as a transport and instead I ripped all my CDs to a USB stick which plugs into the back of the Aries which I can control from my IOS devices via the Auralic Lightning app or now more often Kazoo, but I then also have the option to stream Airplay too if I want to. When I say I'm mostly happy with it, it's not sound quality but rather build quality that is the slight issue. The 'Auralic' logo on the top was disappointingly just stickers which when the unit got hot one time curled and peeled off of their own accord. The other issue I have had is that it went through a phase of losing its configuration for no apparent reason and I'd have to mess about setting it up again. Weirdly it fixed itself and has been stable ever since, but these are just minor annoyances from a product that when it works, works very well.
Thanks Laura. The Aries G1 was top on my list because of the review I saw from Darko talking about the lightning control/app. It seems ideal for being able to attach a HD as well as support for tidal and quboz. My hesitation is that I have heard one user on this forum comment that the sq was no better from the auralic than him air playing from his phone apps to his appletv connected via Toslink to the devialet. If this really is true, then I’d be disappointed to spend 2k for something that I should not an improvement.

As for build quality, the g1 looks to be a significant chassis upgrade over the original Aries, u to have seen neither in person. If I could find a used g2 to be in my budget, it’s an even sturdier build from what I’ve read.

I am intrigued by the SOtM but as I said, I don’t really know how they work or what they do and what setup/build options I would actually need. That is if the SOtM is a better option SQwise over the auralic or Lumin.
You mention that you have a gaming PC in close proximity to your audio system. What I would do is get the PC on the same network as the Devialet, and I think you could do everything you want to do using Devialet AIR. If nothing else, it would cost you next to nothing to at least try this.

As for a boost in sound quality without spending much, the best "bang for buck" I ever got with my old Expert was the addition of a Mutec MC3+USB. This is a USB to AES/EBU "Reclocker", so you would still need something to feed it via USB. This could be your PC, or something like a microRendu, sMS200, ultraRendu or sMS-200Ultra. For a long time I ran my D800 via microRendu + MC3+USB, it was a great sound and was certainly a touch better than AIR, it was also 100% stable and ran flawlessly. You could also run your Oppo via the MC3+USB. (Via the MC3+USB's S/PDIF or optical inputs)

Maybe you should start by trying your gaming PC as also being your "audio PC" simply using Devialet AIR? This would be low cost and give you an idea if you can live with your PC being also used for audio.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Just to pick up on the Mutec MC3+USB and its use with S/PDIF or optical inputs, will it actually output from S/PDIF or optical inputs to the AES/EBU output?
I was interested in getting a Mutec MC3+USB, but what held me back was that some reviews and part of the documentation imply that the S/PDIF or optical inputs can only be output to a computer via USB, and not via any other output.
Has anyone used the Mutec MC3+USB with S/PDIF as input and AES/EBU as output?
I have the Auralic Aires G2, the build quality and sound are superb.

But if I was to do it all again, I would take a real good look at the Roon Nucleus plus SSD

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

(03-Jan-2019, 12:00)smokejumper Wrote: Just to pick up on the Mutec MC3+USB and its use with S/PDIF or optical inputs, will it actually output from S/PDIF or optical inputs to the AES/EBU output?
I was interested in getting a Mutec MC3+USB, but what held me back was that some reviews and part of the documentation imply that the S/PDIF or optical inputs can only be output to a computer via USB, and not via any other output.
Has anyone used the Mutec MC3+USB with S/PDIF as input and AES/EBU as output?

Yes it will.  This is exactly how I use my MC3+USB.  I was actually posting about this last month, see post #292 per link:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-A-Confus...ra?page=30

I have also run my TV via Toslink to the MC3+USB, then AES/EBU to the Devialet.  All of this works fine, and it is just a couple of clicks on the Mutec's input selector to switch between USB input, S/PDIF input, Toslink, or whatever.  You mention reading Mutec's documentation.  Before I bought my MC3+USB I downloaded and read the instruction manual, this nearly put me of buying the thing, the instructions looked rather obscure and complicated.  However, in use it is actually quite straight forward.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(03-Jan-2019, 12:44)BrianT Wrote: I have the Auralic Aires G2, the build quality and sound are superb.

But if I was to do it all again, I would take a real good look at the Roon Nucleus plus SSD

Brian

Please elaborate. Have you experienced the Roon nucleus  to determine its SQ is better or based on reviews or something else?