Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New firmware 8.1.3
(15-Nov-2015, 19:42)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I always thought there were still spare audio processors within the D series, sitting completely unused?
Could be wrong, or maybe they're not powerful enough to process full-range signals?

That was before adding SAM, RAM, MAT. Of course no one, except Devialet, knows how much processing power is left for extra gizmo's.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Or maybe 'RC' just can't be turned into a decent TLA Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(15-Nov-2015, 12:05)Hifi_swlon Wrote: However, Devialet said to me it's not going to happen. 'Very little interest' apparently other than a few people from here. I was complaining about Air and asking for a viable alternative. I won't quote the rest of the response as it was too frustrating.

I strongly dislike the 'popularity factor' currently applied. If Devialet used this approach when they designed the original amplifier we would not have the quality sound we know. A good designer knows what belongs in a product core. Devialet had plans for RC and many other features(AIR is unfinished, the App is unfinished, and for Phantom most of it is unfinished). After adding the core of a product one may ask the user base what extras they'd like.
I believe Devialet uses the 'Very little interest' card when they fail to deliver rather than when it is true.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(15-Oct-2015, 11:54)warpeon Wrote: It's been 5 months since we got the last firmware update. Do you think we will get a Christmas present (i.e. firmware update) from Devialet?

I was Norweg by one person from Devialet that soon there will be a new firmware but with rather minor    updates and in next Year (maybe during Munich Audio Show) there will be sth really important. They are still thinking about RC.
(16-Nov-2015, 12:55)moreno1973 Wrote:
(15-Oct-2015, 11:54)warpeon Wrote: It's been 5 months since we got the last firmware update. Do you think we will get a Christmas present (i.e. firmware update) from Devialet?

I was Norweg by one person from Devialet that soon there will be a new firmware but with rather minor    updates and in next Year (maybe during Munich Audio Show) there will be sth really important. They are still thinking about RC.

Give us room correction, please!
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
Cool. Bug fixes are highly appreciated. Hope the "big" thing next year is upnp.
(17-Nov-2015, 12:20)warpeon Wrote: Cool. Bug fixes are highly appreciated. Hope the "big" thing next year is upnp.
This is what I hope as well. They should have the code written for dialog already. Just fit it in my Devialet.

Janne
If only it was that simple... Dialog and Expert are entirely different architectures. There's a general purpose CPU presumably running Linux inside a Dialog but FPGA's inside the Experts. Worlds apart!

uPnP is an evolutionary step back compared to AIR. But of course at least one of these streaming solutions should be made stable. Doing nothing is (should be) no option for Devialet.

I'm afraid this next 'big thing' will again be a disappointment to many who expect too much.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Yes sometime i Think that you almost expect that a software Update Will get devialet. Too fly . And you Always Will be desapointed that devialet NOT fly.If you understand my point ...
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
(17-Nov-2015, 17:25)Antoine Wrote: If only it was that simple... Dialog and Expert are entirely different architectures. There's a general purpose CPU presumably running Linux inside a Dialog but FPGA's inside the Experts. Worlds apart!

uPnP is an evolutionary step back compared to AIR. But of course at least one of these streaming solutions should be made stable. Doing nothing is (should be) no option for Devialet.

Luckily since the early seventies the problem of different architectures has been solved with a "higher" level programming languages that use compilers to generate architecture specific apps form source code, so that the same code has been usable on many different platforms. I'm sure Devialet does not use lower level languages than C except for drivers and such.

Also UPnP is mostly about XML-parsing, networking and playing files. I know Devialet does all of these things already as the configuration files used to be XML before they switched to JSON.

As for the evolutionary step, I have to disagree. I think that proprietary and platform specific solutions should mostly be a thing of the past and open standards should be embraced.

AIR will always break with the introduction of a new operating system and the operating system support is totally in the hands of Devialet. For example Linux support is totally missing. Supporting every platform separately and keeping up the development with each platform takes time and money. 

Making Devialet an UPnP rendered (actually the Linn OpenHome would be even better) would mean that it would work with all the platforms supporting UPnP. They would also work even if the operating system was upgraded since nothing requires operating system level support. How cool is that. If some platform didn't support UPnP, a third party developer could add the support quite easily. With AIR adding the support would require reverse engineering the AIR protocol every time it changes, and for such a small number of users there might not be many willing to do that. Not to mention it might be considered illegal in some countries.

UPnP would work even long after Devialet has ceased to exist, AIR would probably break and become unusable with the next operating system upgrade after Devialet was gone.