Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News from Devialet? Countdown on website
Yes, for sure pricy. Another thing that seems a bit strange is that the control of this new creature requires a new and separate app. So, it does not seem to be part of the current multi room setup done with spark. This new app has been released and is available, but no update to spark to support the Reactor..
..strange
What a waste of time and load of BS all that was.....it’s a small phantom?

In the public’s eyes it will just be another overly expensive Bluetooth speaker that isn’t a Sonos. I very much doubt it will sell well.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

When they hold what the specs say, it is a bargain. 25Hz-20kHz at 95dB with +/-1dB is better than most Systems for 2k€ can deliver. No need to compare with BT boxes or Sonos. It‘s another league and people hear it. Now its only a question if they will be able to make them work in stereo. Aiplay2 should be able to and of course RAAT as well. We need to wait and see. Great for us Phantom users that Phantoms are not dead. After one year of no SW or FW updates, the sparce communication of Devialet only around the Expert system I do not see this as waste of time and BS. Great for all Devialet customers, definitely more innovation than e.g. Apple presented in their last product presentation. Devialet seems to be alive. Maybe best would be when they further would concentrate on HW and contract Roon for the SW.
If at least they had also updated the Remote App not just for Phantom but also Expert Line users too ... would have been able to reuse the new interface design, skins etc. - just a work of few hours Undecided
Quel tas de boutons ils sont.

The Expert firmware is still not finished, we still await RAAT, the Expert remote is x years out of date, Dialog appears not to work properly (I don't have one), Phantoms do not reach their full potential ( I don't have those either) so OBVIOUSLY the right thing to do is introduce another new product line. So much for the new leadership - they are as big a bunch of plonkers as the last lot.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Phantom Reactor
I think this could have been a home run - but Devialet needs to get the software, stereo/multichannel capability, integration with big Phantoms and Roon RAAT released and fully operational. If they had all that ready upon release, I can see people getting excited. But who would be willing to jump in at this point? And waiting for Devialet to get bug-free software released is... well, unreasonable (couldn't resist ;-).

Bottom line - it's likely a very impressive piece of hardware (with a strange marketing strategy) that seems sorely lacking in full functionality and supporting software at time of release. If they can turn that around quickly, then they may still have a winner.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(09-Oct-2018, 12:47)Pim Wrote:
(09-Oct-2018, 11:57)alaw Wrote:
(09-Oct-2018, 10:34)esom Wrote: I had lots of disappointment with Devialet thinking that the Expert line is not on the top of the list anymore and we will be seeing more emphasis on Phantom line in the future. This has proven that I was right. I was right as well that all recently  offered expert upgrades not even included support of DSD 128 and DSD 256 playback. I am happy that few weeks back i have purchased a new Auralic VEGA G2 DAC and stopped dreaming about Devialet's future on expert line. (note I'm NOT working for Auralic or any other Audio Hi-Fi company)

Cheers!

esom
One should always buy something for what it does now, not what it's promised to do (perhaps) sometime in the future. Companies often get distracted for one reason or another, and move on before delivering on their promises. Honestly, Auralic is guilty of this as well.

Roon RAAT, that's all I want form Devialet... it's long promised. Hopefully now that they've introduced their "Reactor", they can get back to working on Expert Pro software enhancements. I'm still hopeful for something before Christmas.

I'm not even sure they ever promised DSD rates higher than 64.

If the PCM support is limited to 192kHz, they can’t go beyond DSD64. Like most of the other DACs Devialet’s DAC doesn’t have native DSD capabilities. It uses DoP (DSD over PCM) and carrying a DSD64 package to DAC via PCM needs the size of 176.4kHz sample rate data of PCMf format. In theory, a PCM DAC that limited to 192kHz sample rate in PCM playback can’t play anything further then DSD64 format with DoP technology.
(09-Oct-2018, 17:53)streamy Wrote: When they hold what the specs say, it is a bargain. 25Hz-20kHz at 95dB with +/-1dB is better than most Systems for 2k€ can deliver. No need to compare with BT boxes or Sonos. It‘s another league and people hear it. Now its only a question if they will be able to make them work in stereo. Aiplay2 should be able to and of course RAAT as well. We need to wait and see. Great for us Phantom users that Phantoms are not dead. After one year of no SW or FW updates, the sparce communication of Devialet only around the Expert system I do not see this as waste of time and BS. Great for all Devialet customers, definitely more innovation than e.g. Apple presented in their last product presentation. Devialet seems to be alive.  Maybe best would be when they further would concentrate on HW and contract Roon for the SW.

+1

Couldn't agree more. Phantom has not been forgotten by Devialet. And the Reactor has some nice connections: Bluetooth, Spotify Connect, Airplay, UPnP, optical and analogue inputs. Statistics read very good, the system still looks from out of space, a new app and - hopefully sooner than later - wireless connection between two Reactors for stereo mode (big pro compared to the KEF LS50 which needs a connection between speakers).

Who knows whether things from the Reactor development will find its way to the original Phantom. Think of a new app, for example.

So kudos to them. I'll have a listen to it and maybe swap it with my Dynaudio Music... we'll see. 

First the great CI board (I'm so enjoying this upgrade...  you can't imagine) and new the possibility to have something out of space in my reading room... I like it!
(09-Oct-2018, 21:19)Stino Wrote: And the Reactor has some nice connections: Bluetooth, Spotify Connect, Airplay, UPnP, optical and analogue inputs.

USB is such an odd omission in something so suited to computer use. Optical Outs on motherboards are getting rarer with every chipset.