Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul's System
(31-Jul-2020, 13:28)Sailor4W Wrote: Since my last post, I made quite some changes to my system. The speakers remain the same, ATC SCM19s on bespoke stands, although I decided to replace them in the near future.

I got rid of the Nucleus and replaced it first with a USBridge Signature. Till I found out that I liked my Devialet Expert 120 best when it connected via Ethernet. I replaced my Mac Mini with a SonicTransporter i5, connected to an Airport Extreme, that also feeds the Devialet via Ethernet. 

This is a minimalist setup, but a good one at that!

In the rack, I still have a Denon CD player, but it is never in use, so I could just as well get rid of it.

At the bottom of the rack is a Furman power filter. It gets rid of the worst power noise caused by the heating system.

Best of luck to everyone!

Nice and clean, exactly exactly how I like it.
Is your listening position between the speakers?
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(31-Jul-2020, 14:25)BoyScout Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 13:28)Sailor4W Wrote: Since my last post, I made quite some changes to my system. The speakers remain the same, ATC SCM19s on bespoke stands, although I decided to replace them in the near future.

I got rid of the Nucleus and replaced it first with a USBridge Signature. Till I found out that I liked my Devialet Expert 120 best when it connected via Ethernet. I replaced my Mac Mini with a SonicTransporter i5, connected to an Airport Extreme, that also feeds the Devialet via Ethernet. 

This is a minimalist setup, but a good one at that!

In the rack, I still have a Denon CD player, but it is never in use, so I could just as well get rid of it.

At the bottom of the rack is a Furman power filter. It gets rid of the worst power noise caused by the heating system.

Best of luck to everyone!

Nice and clean, exactly exactly how I like it.

Yes, the speakers are slightly toed in, but they are directed so that they cross just behind my listening position. Otherwise, the SCM19s sound a little bright and the stereo imaging becomes narrow.
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
(31-Jul-2020, 14:55)Sailor4W Wrote: Nice and clean, exactly exactly how I like it.

Yes, the speakers are slightly toed in, but they are directed so that they cross just behind my listening position. Otherwise, the SCM19s sound a little bright and the stereo imaging becomes narrow.
So you listen with the speakers playing from each of your sides, not in front, right?
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(31-Jul-2020, 15:25)BoyScout Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 14:55)Sailor4W Wrote: Nice and clean, exactly exactly how I like it.

So you listen with the speakers playing from each of your sides, not in front, right?

Sorry, I don‘t quite follow. My listening position is in the middle of the two speakers, approximately 2.5 metres in front of the speakers.
(31-Jul-2020, 15:36)Sailor4W Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 15:25)BoyScout Wrote:

Sorry, I don‘t quite follow. My listening position is in the middle of the two speakers, approximately 2.5 metres in front of the speakers.
Oh, ok. Sorry, my fault but in the origin of my question is your latest pics with a sofá between the speakers and against the wall. I thought it was your listening position.
Wrong interpretation from here. I’ve the same positioning, a “normal” one.
(31-Jul-2020, 16:04)BoyScout Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 15:36)Sailor4W Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 15:25)BoyScout Wrote: So you listen with the speakers playing from each of your sides, not in front, right?

Oh, ok. Sorry, my fault but in the origin of my question is your latest pics with a sofá between the speakers and against the wall. I thought it was your listening position.

There‘s a sofa on the opposite side where I sit for listening  Smile
(31-Jul-2020, 17:08)Sailor4W Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 16:04)BoyScout Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 15:36)Sailor4W Wrote: Sorry, I don‘t quite follow. My listening position is in the middle of the two speakers, approximately 2.5 metres in front of the speakers.

Cristal clear!
Sorry and congratulations, again, for the system/setup.
(31-Jul-2020, 18:10)BoyScout Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 17:08)Sailor4W Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 16:04)BoyScout Wrote: Oh, ok. Sorry, my fault but in the origin of my question is your latest pics with a sofá between the speakers and against the wall. I thought it was your listening position.

Cristal clear!
Sorry and congratulations, again, for the system/setup.

Thank you!

Two things will be done in the near future: upgrade the Expert 120 to either the Expert Pro 140 or 220 and new speakers. As for speakers, I am eying two options: either the Buchardt S400s, or the Harbeth M30.1. I don‘t know which way to go first.
(31-Jul-2020, 18:45)Sailor4W Wrote: Thank you!

Two things will be done in the near future: upgrade the Expert 120 to either the Expert Pro 140 or 220 and new speakers. As for speakers, I am eying two options: either the Buchardt S400s, or the Harbeth M30.1. I don‘t know which way to go first.

I´d like to help you but i´m affraid i can´t.
I don´t know none of those speakers, but one thing i know:
If price is an issue (it is always ...) wait a while and in the meantime go researching higher level speakers.
The amp you own or the new you´re thinking about, needs and deserves better speakers.
I think you, like me, are a monitor and stand speakers fan. If you´re decided to do a step up, be sure is definitely a jump foward.
(31-Jul-2020, 19:06)BoyScout Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 18:45)Sailor4W Wrote: Thank you!

I´d like to help you but i´m affraid i can´t.
I don´t know none of those speakers, but one thing i know:
If price is an issue (it is always ...) wait a while and in the meantime go researching higher level speakers.
The amp you own or the new you´re thinking about, needs and deserves better speakers.
I think you, like me, are a monitor and stand speakers fan. If you´re decided to do a step up, be sure is definitely a jump foward.

I am not necessarily a standmount speaker fan, it’s the size of the room that dictates it. Floorstanders might simply be too large.

But I certainly agree that the Devialets will shine even more with exceptional speakers.