Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Phantom Gold doesn't support 192/24, surprising answer from support??
I'm looking for feedback from this community about what I should do next...maybe I should only give up on the Phantom Gold and move on to other greener pastures (after I get a full credit) please.... :-(

I've been battling with Devialet support for months now around an issue that I have, my Phantom Gold stops recognizing (after a few minutes of playing those tracks) the Toslink cable is connected to the speaker every time I play 192/24 tracks...initially the answer was it must be your cables....I trialed/bought several different cables (including a very expensive Lifatec), the source is not good (I had an EVGA Nu card), moved to a Primare NP5, etc, etc...and today I received this answer below:

>Manson
 (Devialet)

>Sep 3, 2020, 7:10 AM GMT+2
>Hello Renato,
>
>Hope you are well. The investigation of the optical input is now completed.
>
>Our engineer confirmed that use an optical input at 24/192k is above the product limitation of the Devialet system, while Phantom is not officially >compatible with 24/192k. 
>
>If you would like to stream such high-quality tracks without downsizing, I would recommend UPnP as an alternative. You will need to download a >UPnP app that is compatible with your Primare NP5.
>
>Hope you can understand.
>Best Regards,
>Manson | Customer service & support Devialet

Deviatet website (https://www.devialet.com/en-au/buy-gold-phantom/) clearly states the spec is supported and I'm sure there are dozens of people in this forum paying HiRed (192/24) tracks via Toslink, so I'm completely flabbergasted with this answer and unsure what to do anymore...should I reach out to a different Support (Frensh) or something, I hear different countries have a different quality of support, etc...I need help community....I love my Phantom Gold but it has been too painful just to listen to music.... Undecided
I am also certain Phantoms should be able to handle 24/192 on it's toslink input so the response from Devialet support is completely surprising. I do not own Phantoms, but the 250 I owned supported 24/192 on the main optical input and 24/96 on the combo RS232/optical2 input.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
24/192 works with UPnP on the Phantoms.  Only achieved 24/96 on optical. I am sorry but looks like you will have to return it.
(03-Sep-2020, 12:40)Snoopy8 Wrote: 24/192 works with USB on the Phantoms.  Only achieved 24/96 on optical. I am sorry but looks like you will have to return it.

What you mean on USB? The Phantom Golds don't have an USB connector...? Possibly, but what they are doing is misleading(lying) advertising...since they say it supports up to 192/24....
(03-Sep-2020, 12:40)Snoopy8 Wrote: 24/192 works with USB on the Phantoms.  Only achieved 24/96 on optical. I am sorry but looks like you will have to return it.

What you mean on USB? The Phantom Golds don't have an USB connector...? Possibly, but what they are doing is misleading(lying) advertising...since they say it supports up to 192/24....

I was not aware that Phantoms have USB. Is this correct? Do you mean UPnP?
I always assumed that the toslink input on a Phantom supported 24/192. AFAIK several posts here at DC (over the years) also say this.

One recent example: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Good-qua...8#pid93958
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
No problems here

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Hi there

Something seems a bit strange here - I'm surprised that the tracks even start to play if its not supported - do they sound OK when it starts to play - does it just stop suddenly, or fade or distort.

I don't output this rate through optical but I can confirm that upnp supports this rate.

Other posts here imply that they can do this through optical so either your Golds are faulty or something is different in the format you are playing - you don't say as far as I can see what type of files you are playing at this resolution - anything unusual or with some wrapper around them?

kantblue
(03-Sep-2020, 14:17)ragwo Wrote: No problems here

Are you using a converter to have optical? The DigiOne does not have a toslink out I believe?
Devialetless!