Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms Roon ready?
Sorry if the thread title is a bit teasing.

I asked Devialet support about RAAT for Phantoms. Here is the answer I got: "-Devialet Phantom is NOT Roon-ready yet so Roon Raat is not an option at this stage"

In my view this is promising as I read this like "... we are working on it but won't tell anyone". The "yet" and "at this stage" in the answer is significant in indicating that at some point Phantoms will have RAAT.

As with everything Devialet I could be wrong...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
My understanding is that it's in the pipeline...  Angel

Cheers

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
So is built in EQ and I’ve been waiting longest! Wink
(09-Apr-2019, 10:16)ogs Wrote: I asked Devialet support about RAAT for Phantoms. Here is the answer I got: "-Devialet Phantom is NOT Roon-ready yet so Roon Raat is not an option at this stage"

In my view this is promising as I read this like "... we are working on it but won't tell anyone".  The "yet" and "at this stage" in the answer is significant in indicating that at some point Phantoms will have RAAT.
You got told more than me when I asked!  My answer was a non-committal "we can't say anything".  

Am trialling Roon. Roon Air to the Phantoms is not as good as Upnp to the same library.  Without RAAT, it is unlikely that I will take up Roon.
(09-Apr-2019, 10:31)GuillaumeB Wrote: My understanding is that it's in the pipeline...  Angel

Cheers

Guillaume

Isn't 'the pipeline' all about getting the Expert, Phantom and Reactor to all work on the same platform / OS? That's going to be a loooooooong pipeline.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(10-Apr-2019, 05:42)Snoopy8 Wrote: Roon Air to the Phantoms is not as good as Upnp to the same library.

I'm guessing you mean AirPlay here. Devialet suggests AirPlay and even Bluetooth (but saying that BT might be lower quality.... yeah lossy transfer). UPnP is probably better for highres but Roon does not run UPnP. Optical from a Pi+HAT+Ropieee is the best workaround for use with Roon I suppose.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(10-Apr-2019, 06:24)ogs Wrote:
(10-Apr-2019, 05:42)Snoopy8 Wrote: Roon Air to the Phantoms is not as good as Upnp to the same library.

I'm guessing you mean AirPlay here. Devialet suggests AirPlay and even Bluetooth (but saying that BT might be lower quality.... yeah lossy transfer). UPnP is probably better for highres but Roon does not run UPnP. Optical from a Pi+HAT+Ropieee is the best workaround for use with Roon I suppose.
Unfortunately, optical is worse than Airplay (Roon Air) with a collapsed sound stage. Tried streamer with linear power supply, glass optical cable, still not good enough... Hence, my focus on Upnp.
If there is a big difference between AirPlay and optical, where you perceive AirPlay as better, I'd suspect some error on the optical. Optical should actually be on par with UPnP. Not identical, but about the same level of quality. When I switch between the optical and AES/EBU input of my 250 (both driven by a Mutec MC-3) there is a very small difference. AES/EBU is better, but not dramatically so.
Devialetless!
(10-Apr-2019, 09:50)ogs Wrote: If there is a big difference between AirPlay and optical, where you perceive AirPlay as  better, I'd suspect some error on the optical. Optical should actually be on par with UPnP. Not identical, but about the same level of quality. When I switch between the optical and AES/EBU input of my 250 (both driven by a Mutec MC-3) there is a very small difference. AES/EBU is better, but not dramatically so.

Airplay is better than Optical. 

There may be no difference in the 250, but for the Phantom Gold, the optical input is a disappointment.  Have tried optical to both the Dialogue and Phantom. In both cases, the sound stage is squished in comparison and I have used quality cables and streamers.  It is unlikely that both optical inputs are faulty.  I suspect that the optical has not been implemented well in the Phantoms, paired as a stereo pair.
I see. Your explanation makes sense. I have seen comments that sound via Spark is good. As this is streaming over network (ethernet, wifi, PLC), it is different from Toslink. Should make a future RAAT extra desirable.
Devialetless!