Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz
What frustrates me is many unknowns. Otherwise we all have ears and some predilection in sound and we can hear and like it or discard it. However even when I am unable to discern a difference between two sounds, one kept fixed 192 kHz hi-res at all steps of the signal path without any downsampling and upsampling and the other downsampled from 192kHz down to 48kHz, I would tend to acquire and play 192 kHz music files (and invest in such streamers) , as long as I do not have any signal drop or similar problems due to data bandwidth issues be it wireless or wired. This is purely psychological. It’s like wine tasting, whenever you know the price a very expensive wine that is not favored in a blind test, is suddenly great tasting and it really tastes better because we know its price. I believe this also applies to music in some level. Therefore even when it doesn’t make any difference I would opt for better resolution if it does not cost me too much.

Or replace 192 with 96 above.

I do not think and expect Phantoms to sound better than many other options, especially the Reactors I will be considering; probably worse but I will hear that when I test them. What I want to see whether they are OK and pleasing as there is no other speaker in this room friendly, small, blending form factor which is what I want for my room. Black Reactors fit the bill. However this will not stop me from trying to get best sound out if it, be it real or imaginary (psychologically enhanced) Smile Devialet is not a transparent company. They do not even share measurement graphs of their speakers in ideal conditions.
Black Reactor is my favourite too. Take a look at @supaDean 's system: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Updated this would sound good even with Roon RAAT direct, but Dirac and the Mutec re-clocker makes this system stand out I believe. I know because I used a Mutec and digital room correction in my previous system. Don't put too much emphasis on the 48kHz limit. I agree it's not quite optimal, but it will sound good!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
And we have som info from Devialet:

”In the DOS 2.12.3 release, Devialet has upgraded the audio pipeline from 16 to 24 bits, which provides the pipeline sound quality superior to all previously published DOS versions. We chose to limit the input sampling rate to 96 kHz to ensure stability and performance. Indeed, in some situations (depending on network conditions and the number of speakers), there may be stability issues with 176.4/192 kHz. Even though we do not limit the input file sampling rate on UPnP for compatibility purposes, we do recommend that our users limit playback to 96 kHz / 24 bits, if it is supported by their UPnP server. In any case, our operating system processes Roon and UPnP inputs in exactly the same way and may resample the original stream at the end of the signal path to ensure maximum stability.”

I have accepted this and I am happy for now. I think the system can go further and hope they go that way in the future
@howcho
Thanks a lot for the info!
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
The sound quality has increased significantly.
good job devialet!
(03-Mar-2021, 09:39)Johnnydev Wrote: The sound quality has increased significantly.
good job devialet!

What does it mean? Sound was really poor before? Like we can clean whiter than white?
I am very surprised with such comments.
(03-Mar-2021, 17:44)fabien44 Wrote:
(03-Mar-2021, 09:39)Johnnydev Wrote: The sound quality has increased significantly.
good job devialet!

What does it mean? Sound was really poor before? Like we can clean whiter than white?
I am very surprised with such comments.

No, absolutely not, already belonged to the top, but the latest Dos2 takes that a step further.

Devialet has upgraded the audio pipeline from 16 to 24 bits, which provides the pipeline sound quality superior to all previously published DOS versions.