Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz
Another possibility is using the Phantom I in Direct optical mode bypassing any DOS2 feature (no UpnP, no remote control, no airplay, no BT, no multiroom etc).
It's becoming just an amplified speaker.
I assume the optical input will support at least 24/96kz maybe 192Khz.

You'll need then a streamer with optical output and a $10 optical splitter from amazon that will deliver two optical feed for the two Phantoms.
The Phantom web interface allow you to select the Direct optical mode and two define which speaker is going to play the left and right feed.
2 x Phantom I 108db Dark Chrome in Direct Optical Mode to a Sonos Connect
Sonos Arc + Sub + 2 x Play:1
Sonos Playbar
4 Sonos zones of 2xPlay:1
(05-Feb-2021, 09:28)denis Wrote: Another possibility is using the Phantom I in Direct optical mode bypassing any DOS2 feature (no UpnP, no remote control, no airplay, no BT, no multiroom etc).
It's becoming just an amplified speaker.
I assume the optical input will support at least 24/96kz maybe 192Khz.

You'll need then a streamer with optical output and a $10 optical splitter from amazon that will deliver two optical feed for the two Phantoms.
The Phantom web interface allow you to select the Direct optical mode and two define which speaker is going to play the left and right feed.

Thanks Denis, I will check that option
Today I checked Devialet website, specifically for Phantom I 108 dB Opéra de Paris and Phantom II 98 dB but I bet all are same for what I will inform now: it seems that they updated their specs, especially:
Roon Ready (Inputs up to 24bits/96kHz)
UPnP Renderer (Inputs up to 24bits/96kHz)
Toslink optical input (Inputs up to 24bits/96kHz)

That's a good news although DAC stays the same as 24bits/96kHz and the OS stays the same as Devialet Operating System 2 (DOS 2) up to 24bits/48kHz

I also wonder whether the internal DAC operate really at 96kHz or not ?
And for the previous Phantoms including the Reactors, do they work in 192kHz as given in their specs or these are just capabilities and not actual performance.

With Devialet it seems there are more question than answers.
(10-Feb-2021, 13:19)quagga Wrote: Today I checked Devialet website, specifically for Phantom I 108 dB Opéra de Paris and Phantom II 98 dB but I bet all are same for what I will inform now: it seems that they updated their specs, especially:

That's a good news although DAC stays the same as 24bits/96kHz and the OS stays the same as Devialet Operating System 2 (DOS 2) up to 24bits/48kHz

And for the previous Phantoms including the Reactors, do they work in 192kHz as given in their specs or these are just capabilities and not actual performance.

That is quite remarkable! I had to check the Devialet web site and there it is! 24/96 on all inputs! So what is correct? 48kHz or 96kHz? Devialet still says 24/48 for DOS2. What is the point telling us 96kHz if all is down converted to 48kHz inside? I don't get this... Devialet must have understood that all the negative comments regarding the down sampling is bad for them and are trying to fix it somehow. Time will tell...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
FWIW I thought the 24/96 indication was there in the first place with DOS2 being marked as 24/48.
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
It reads 24/96 sources but will downscale them to 24/48... it won't read everything above 24/96 like 24/192
Please excuse my poor reputation
(10-Feb-2021, 19:06)DesertEagleAZ Wrote: FWIW I thought the 24/96 indication was there in the first place with DOS2 being marked as 24/48.

I thought the DAC was specified at up to 24/96, but each input said 24/48... I'm not sure. I don't have any screen dumps from last week, but this is what it says now on features:

Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(10-Feb-2021, 13:19)quagga Wrote: Today I checked Devialet website, specifically for Phantom I 108 dB Opéra de Paris and Phantom II 98 dB but I bet all are same for what I will inform now: it seems that they updated their specs, especially:

I am surprised by your discovery of Roon Ready allowing 24/96. I used this input for HiRez stuff, but Roon showed 24/48.

What's the reason of that?
Roon RAAT gets information directly from the Devialet Operating System (DOS) and tells the truth. Everything is down sampled to 48kHz within Phantoms. @struts has a plan to verify this https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Can-DOS-...bove-24kHz
Devialetless!
(10-Feb-2021, 20:40)Mohmm Wrote: I am surprised by your discovery of Roon Ready allowing 24/96. I used this input for HiRez stuff, but Roon showed 24/48.

What's the reason of that?

I have to admit I can’t make head or tail of this.  In what way does Phantom support RAAT at 24/96 but not at 24/192?  My Phantoms at least appear to treat them identically.

I played a 24/96 cut of Nora Jones “Come Away With Me” via Roon.  The Roon signal path shows it being padded to 64 bit for SRC and then downsampled to 24/48, consistent with the published limitation of DOS 2.  The track played without problems on my K28 (mid-2017) Phantom Golds and sounded lovely. Then I played a 24/192 version of the same album, with *exactly* the same result.

Just to further add to the confusion both tracks also play without problems from Audirvana via UPnP.  So my Phantoms are not rejecting 24/192 material sent over either RAAT (which downsamples to match endpoint) or UPnP (which afaik doesn’t), even if it is downsampling both to 24/48 before conversion. 

So I would say either these inputs support 24/192 (in the sense that they will accept input programme at that resolution) or that they support 24/48 (in the sense that regardless of whether the programme is 24/96 or 24/192 it is downsampled to 24/48 for DAC).

Now I realise the 24/96 spec for the Roon input refers to the Phantom I 108 dB, so maybe there is a difference between the two hardware generations?  Could someone with the new model please rerun this test and report back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk