Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power consumption when idle
My phantoms are hot all the time at the back even when not running so i was wondering about power consumption. I measured 40w in standby which is incredibly high... pushing the buttons on the back does not change anything.. Anybody's been able to really switch of their units ? Confused
You can power them off by holding the power button for 5 secs.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
I also noticed that they were reading 40-50w overnight (each) when not in use. Bit disappointing compared to the Expert Line. I'm currently running an experiment to see if leaving them set to the Optical input uses more than regular streaming from a network source.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
I think in a later software update, they will go totally standby, when they have not been played music/movies in 5 minutes. I hope so..
I unplug mine after listening, and in any case leave none of my hifi powered overnight any more.
The next day they need to be plugged in a few minutes before listening for the Phantom to boot up find the Dialog or vice versa.
Given that routine firmware updates happen automatically going into a true standby may be a problem.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

JonnySix or someone else with a watt meter, could you measure how much power they consume in various states (off, idle, and playing)? Would you also specify whether it is for the white or silver and any other variables? This is an important aspect of my decision about them and I can't find the power consumption information elsewhere so thanks for providing it here.
(02-May-2015, 22:31)deviousalet Wrote: JonnySix or someone else with a watt meter, could you measure how much power they consume in various states (off, idle, and playing)? Would you also specify whether it is for the white or silver and any other variables? This is an important aspect of my decision about them and I can't find the power consumption information elsewhere so thanks for providing it here.

I tried to switch off the units by holding the power button for 5 seconds like trashken suggested but that doesn't change anything. 20w continous power consumption per unit remains when not in use.
During listening it can go above 80w what of course is not a problem.
(30-Apr-2015, 01:51)JohnnySix Wrote: I also noticed that they were reading 40-50w overnight (each) when not in use. Bit disappointing compared to the Expert Line. I'm currently running an experiment to see if leaving them set to the Optical input uses more than regular streaming from a network source.

Expert line = 39w in standbye, but there's no trouble in unplugging them... what is not the case for the phantom since i will not be running through my house and unplug every unit...
Thanks for the measurement of the Phantoms.

What I found with a Devialet 200 was around 9W off, 16W standby, and 28W idle/active (on 110V service and powering B&W N802 speakers).

The D200 took about 13 seconds to start up after being unplugged. How long do Phantoms take to start up? I assume they take longer because they need to synch with a Dialog.

I agree the Phantoms will be more complicated than the expert line to manage because as mamo944 pointed out the power will be distributed around various locations so harder to control with power stations or unplugging. My best idea so far is wiring a switched circuit for the Phantoms, Dialog, music server, etc. and then just switching that circuit on when I want to play music. It would obviously be far nicer if Devialet would just use modern electronics so that the Phantoms would consume almost no power when off. My computers, networking equipment, AV receiver, and most other electronics use less than a watt when in standby or off, so Devialet should be able to figure it out with all of their hardware engineers.
Has anyone ever noticed how much more power the Expert Line draws when an analogue input is selected? My D120 gets much hotter and burns 25w more when LINE is selected as opposed to USB or Optical. I wonder why the ADC converter chip needs so much?
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.