Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reactor now available in stereo!
This new fangled stereo thing sounds amazing. Hopefully other stereo products will start coming to market now!

Oh, sorry, I was in a 1930’s bubble.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Hi RMK

Yes, I connect just one toslink to one Reactor and both of them are connected with WI-FI along with the app.

I tried to connect the other Reactor with a pair of RCA cables plus a 3.5mm converter, result was not that good. Source can be switched. It was stereo playback but lack of base and the soundstage was strangely shallow......

Anyone may share your experience of using RCA cable as source please? I wish to connect my Reactors with my turntable.
Yes same experience, I am now using Toslink and it sounds much much better.
Living Room: Devialet Dione
I have now a pair of Phantom reactors in stereo, one on each side of the TV, and use them for TV and for Spotify Premium streaming.
I'm delighted, both by the sound, and by the ease of use.
The kids took very quickly to it. It's fun to share music!
Qobuz/Sonos/D200/GT1 SE (offered to my father, who enjoys it every day)
2 Phantom Reactor 600 and Spotify Premium
(29-Mar-2019, 17:20)ken46 Wrote: Hi RMK

Yes, I connect just one toslink to one Reactor and both of them are connected with WI-FI along with the app.

I tried to connect the other Reactor with a pair of RCA cables plus a 3.5mm converter, result was not that good. Source can be switched.  It was stereo playback but lack of base and the soundstage was strangely shallow......

Anyone may share your experience of using RCA cable as source please? I wish to connect my Reactors with my turntable.

Hi ken46,

I also found the sound using the analog input a bit shallow and much lower compared to digital sources, but adding an ADC between the RCA source and the Reactor using then toslink connection fixed the issue. First I tried with a cheap (20EUR) ADC with output sample rate at 48khz (good enough) and then a more expensive one at 192khz (35EUR, better sound). Both ADCs fixed the shallow/low sound output in the same way, but 192Khz ADC sounds crisper to me. It could be the increased sample rate or simply the ADC quality, or placebo effect :-)
I also use a turntable using the RCA>ADC>toslink connection and it sounds really good.
Now that stereo is here I am finally considering picking two 600s up to use mainly as desktop speakers connected via toslink to the pc for music but also video, gaming, etc.. Is the lag due to dsp/internal processing still a thing? That would be a dealbreaker I guess..
D200. B&W CM10S2. ROON over AIR for Tidal. Chromecast Audio thru SPDIF for Spotify Connect. Technics SL-1200, Ortofon 2M Bronze. 2x Reactor 600 as desktop monitors. Head/earphones: Denon AH-D5000, Campfire Andromeda S.
(11-Apr-2019, 20:24)WesCrackin Wrote: Now that stereo is here I am finally considering picking two 600s up to use mainly as desktop speakers connected via toslink to the pc for music but also video, gaming, etc.. Is the lag due to dsp/internal processing still a thing? That would be a dealbreaker I guess.
Using 2 x 900w reactors connected to pc via toslink.  They sound amazing in stereo and no perceptible lag for me.  The only time I get lag is when I connect my iPhone to reactors via Bluetooth and stream YouTube videos.
Thanks, Ryu for your 2 cents! I will try to have a listen to both the reactors in stereo, as well as the KEF LSX that get such high praise right now. Everybody is reporting better oberall sound than the reactors with missing midrange with the latter, but for my office I really want strong bass, preferably without a sub. Plus, with the reactor I get a portable speaker as well and even one coccon case for free at the moment with the current promotion ..
D200. B&W CM10S2. ROON over AIR for Tidal. Chromecast Audio thru SPDIF for Spotify Connect. Technics SL-1200, Ortofon 2M Bronze. 2x Reactor 600 as desktop monitors. Head/earphones: Denon AH-D5000, Campfire Andromeda S.
Can someone explain the cabling they are using re Toslink? Isn't that the squarish optical connector? On the back of the phantom I only see the round RCA jack? Is there some kind of adapter? Thanks.
(16-Apr-2019, 20:55)actx76092 Wrote: Can someone explain the cabling they are using re Toslink?  Isn't that the squarish optical connector?  On the back of the phantom I only see the round RCA jack?  Is there some kind of adapter?  Thanks.

Google is your best friend. Don't mind the surveillance.
Let Me Google That For You

Sorry, not meaning to be rude.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage