Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon 1.8 first impressions
(14-Feb-2021, 04:07)bernardl Wrote: Thanks for your empathy. 😀

The same problem has been reported by others, there is a support thread over at Roon community. It seems related to a specific type of Linux file system. Mounting the local disk as a logical network share is a workaround but for reasons I won’t detail here not applicable for me unfortunately.

There are other ways around that I could deploy but it’s just tîme consuming and is 180 degrees away from the non complexity I like Roon for in the first place.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hello Bernard, I see you are using a Melco N10! Are your local music files stored on the Melco? I also use an N10 on which I have about 1.8TB of music and an ext. Drive with 1.5TB of stored music! It took a few hours until all files were back in Roon, but 1.8 has been running without problems for 3 days!
I hope there will be a solution to your problem immediately!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Hi K4680,

Thanks for your kind feedbacks!

No, in fact I am using a Melco S10 as hub but my music server is a Linux based Mojo Audio Deja vu Evo.

The problem is pretty well identified, Roon 1.8 in its initial release wasn't able to see the local folders of some versions of Linux using some file system. I have just upgraded to the latest update and it does unfortunately not fix the problem.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(14-Feb-2021, 11:38)bernardl Wrote: Hi K4680,

Thanks for your kind feedbacks!

No, in fact I am using a Melco S10 as hub but my music server is a Linux based Mojo Audio Deja vu Evo.

The problem is pretty well identified, Roon 1.8 in its initial release wasn't able to see the local folders of some versions of Linux using some file system. I have just upgraded to the latest update and it does unfortunately not fix the problem.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ok, cross your fingers for a quick fix !! Rolleyes
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Thanks, nothing yet.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
12 days after submission Roon acknowledged that the issue is real and was reproduced.

Cheers,
Bernard
Today I upgrade to the 1.8 version.
to my surprise It sound better. I didn’t expect that to be the case.

Bass has better definition
Image is slightly deeper
Overall listening experience is more natural

Fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(27-Feb-2021, 07:03)no32 Wrote: Today I upgrade to the 1.8 version.
to my surprise It sound better. I didn’t expect that to be the case.

Bass has better definition
Image is slightly deeper
Overall listening experience is more natural

Fun

Initially i didn't believe in such opinions, but as soon as i installed it i had the same feeling.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(21-Feb-2021, 14:50)bernardl Wrote: 12 days after submission Roon acknowledged that the issue is real and was reproduced.

Cheers,
Bernard

20 days and still no solution, just a support update that they are working on it.

I decided to bite the bullet and redirect my core to a NAS. Such a waste of time.

Does it sound better? Possibly yes.

I must say that with the Esoteric N-01XD and the right cables my system sounds extremely un-digital. It equates and probably out does the best vinyl based Systems I have had the chance to hear in terms of organic and unharshness while still being clean and defined.

But I am still mad at Roon. Grrrrrr...

Cheers,
Bernard
Sorry to hear it’s going so bad for you
Over here , the more I listen the more the more joy this upgrade brings to me

I never listen to your digital front end , I bet it’s amazing though

Thank you.

Yep, I think that it’s pretty amazing.

Cheers,
Bernard