Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon air wifi connection problem
I am using a notebook with Windows 10 and Roon Core in it. I have the wifi connection btw my Devialet D-Premier ( firmware 10.1.0) and Apple Airport Extreme Router. The router is 2m away from the Devialet and I am getting a signal of -32 dbM, which results to dropouts after couple hours. Also 24 bit 192 Hz files cannot be played properly.

What I did is, to place the router right next to the devialet and the wifi connection is getting even worse.  (appr. -52 dbM).
Do you know the reason? Or how can I improve my signal?

I also tried to make hardwiring connection via HDMI cable but windows did not recognized devialet as a sound card.

Thanks for your helps
Welcome to DC!
Is the notebook also on wifi?
The wifi card in the original D-Premier is probably not the best compared to today's standards, but Roon/AIR is certainly as good and robust as the AIR protocol can be. I think it should be possible to stream reliably to a D-Premier - even at 192kHz, but I am not certain about it. Can you play at 96kHz?

EDIT: Re HDMI. I never used HDMI on my D-Premier so I am unsure how it should be recognised by a PC. Maybe someone else here at  DC would know?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
ogs Wrote:Welcome to DC!
Is the notebook also on wifi?
The wifi card in the original D-Premier is probably not the best compared to today's standards, but Roon/AIR is certainly as good and robust as the AIR protocol can be. I think it should be possible to stream reliably to a D-Premier - even at 192kHz, but I am not certain about it. Can you play at 96kHz?

EDIT: Re HDMI. I never used HDMI on my D-Premier so I am unsure how it should be recognised by a PC. Maybe someone else here at  DC would know?

My notebook is connected to the airport router with Ethernet cable. I have also dropouts with low res flac files. 96 khz is also very instable.

The interesting part is, that my wifi connection is getting worse if I bring the router closer to devialet
Have you thought of using USB? I've been using a MIT SL Matrix USB cable and it sounds divine. They come in 1,2 or 3m length.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I believe I also saw the wifi signal getting worse when I moved the AP closer to the amp. This is now so many years ago that I can't trust my memory any more! I've seen Hyper-V mentioned in relation to the HDMI issue (it's a known Microsoft fault...). Is Hyper-V running on your notebook? Try uninstalling it if you are not using it. Simply stopping the service may also help.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Pim Wrote:Have you thought of using USB? I've been using a MIT SL Matrix USB cable and it sounds divine. They come in 1,2 or 3m length.
 I have old Version of D-Premier without usb Sad
(25-Oct-2019, 13:06)h9151105 Wrote:
Pim Wrote:Have you thought of using USB? I've been using a MIT SL Matrix USB cable and it sounds divine. They come in 1,2 or 3m length.
 I have old Version of D-Premier without usb Sad

Sorry mate, I wasn't aware USB wasn't on the D-Premier.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I used to have an Apple Airport Extreme. At that time Air was not yet integrated into Roon and I had a lot of drop out issues.
The problem was fixed when 3 things happened (1) I threw the AirPort Extreme out and replaced it with an Asus router (2) the CI board was installed (3) Air became part of Roon. It is difficult to say which was the change that ultimately solved the issue.
If you can start by trying a different router and make sure you disable any wifi airtime fairness settings.
https://routerguide.net/airtime-fairness-on-or-off/

Devialet 440PRO CI/ Mola Mola Tambaqui + Kalugas / Vivid Audio Giya G2
Cape Town, South Africa
(26-Oct-2019, 06:35)Drifter Wrote: I used to have an Apple Airport Extreme. At that time Air was not yet integrated into Roon and I had a lot of drop out issues.
The problem was fixed when 3 things happened (1) I threw the AirPort Extreme out and replaced it with an Asus router (2) the CI board was installed (3) Air became part of Roon. It is difficult to say which was the change that ultimately solved the issue.
If you can start by trying a different router and make sure you disable any wifi airtime fairness settings.
https://routerguide.net/airtime-fairness-on-or-off/

Which model of asus?
Here's a link to a page in Roon's support pages on best networking practices: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Networking_Best_Practices . This page has helped me in the past.

My best advice, however, is very simple. You say your router is 2m away from your Devialet. In that case the best thing you can do is run an ethernet cable from the router to the Devialet and use the Devialet's ethernet input. Just doing that solves all wifi connection problems.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia