Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Roon supports Devialet AIR
@Saunter - With my old expert there was a subtle but definite difference between using a source fed via USB and using AIR. AIR was good but when compared to a decent USB source there was a difference in the presentation of bass. With AIR the bass was more accurate and defined, but with USB the bass could sound a little fuller and richer. I always much preferred the bass VIA AIR rather than from any USB source, but some USB sources could certainly sound like they had more bass. In your original query, you do not mention bass at all, but you do say that with AIR the sound is "flat and a bit brittle sounding". So what I am wondering is that if you have switched from USB to AIR you might have experienced a very slight tonal switch due to a subjective loss of a little bass. The bass may be good now, but if it has lost a little in the tonal balance this could lead to the "brittle" sound that you mention. You said in an earlier post that you have the speaker positions optimized, but maybe when running AIR the positioning may need a bit of fine tuning, speakers a little nearer the walls or corners perhaps?

If you are running Devialet AIR via Ethernet, I do not think the power supply to the NUC will make much difference, in theory it should not make any difference as the Devialet takes the Ethernet feed and it is stored in a FIFO buffer, and the Devialet streams from the buffer. (you can remove the Ethernet cable and AIR will keep playing for a couple of seconds) I would certainly look elsewhere to find the issue before spending more cash. It might be worth trying running the Ethernet via a standard network switch, if the NUC is producing a little electrical noise, even a standard network switch can help to remove this and isolate the inevitably noisy NUC from the Devialet. (do you have a spare switch and Ethernet cable to hand?)

It is very hard to judge this stuff remotely, so I may be very wide of the mark with these thoughts, but you never know!

As a first experiment, I would try a fine tune of the speaker positions or maybe even tweak the bass up +2dB, just to try. If that doesn't redress the balance, then fair enough and time to look elsewhere.

EDIT: Another experiment you could try is running Devialet AIR from your laptop, this should sound more or less the same as AIR via the NUC, if it does not, then there is something strange going on. It might be worth a try, to at least eliminate any problems with the NUC as being the issue
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(10-Aug-2018, 12:09)petrik Wrote: Excellent question. The Roon Nucleus+, the Netgear switch, and the Devialet are all having gigabit ports. Also the network cables are cat6. Therefore I believe I'm experiencing some AIR related issue again.

I remember having a call with Devialet support sometime last winter and they were then saying that there are some known problems with high res streaming. They were also highly recommending using Ethernet instead of Wifi. So that's what I'm doing right now. I thought that maybe these high res streaming problems would have been fixed already, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll check this support again.

Just a short update here. I contacted Devialet's support about a month ago but they haven't replied anything so far. Then I contacted Roon's support as well and had a longish discussion with them. I tried different kind of network configurations exactly like they suggested, but absolutely nothing solved the issue. I'm still experiencing lots of crackles. It indeed looks like some AIR related issue again. 

Roon's support recently just unlisted my topic on the Roon's forum, so I'm not sure what to think about this all... Perhaps Roon's support isn't allowed to discuss on AIR related issues on a public forum. Not happy at all, I wish we already had the RAAT support on our Expert Pros since RAAT is working just fine on my network.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
The picture below was posted by @GuillaumeB back in March, so a full six months ago. This shows a working demo of Roon RAAT, albeit an uncertified version of the software. (Note that the settings box shows "Roon Ready", not the current "My Devialet-ETH") In a way, this is good news, we know Devialet have had RAAT working for some time, fully consistent with Devialet's promise to deliver by the end of the year. It does beg the question though, if they had a working version six months ago why is it not certified and released by now? Maybe this process does take a long time? I just hope they are not struggling with some minor issue or something that is causing the delay.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2857]
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
^ Nice @Confused ! I would love to see my Devialet under the Roon Ready category (without the "uncertified" tag) Smile
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
(16-Sep-2018, 10:20)Confused Wrote:  It does beg the question though, if they had a working version six months ago why is it not certified and released by now?  Maybe this process does take a long time?  I just hope they are not struggling with some minor issue or something that is causing the delay.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2857]

My hunch is Devialet are being forced to iron out all their bugs due to Roons QA standards. It’s one thing letting through AIR bugs, but it’s not going to wash with RAAT. No doubt we’ll see a stability improvement in AIR afterwards too.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT) reads to me like Roon have set a protocol and whoever builds a RAAT ready device just has to comply with that protocol. I really wonder how much freedom a designer actually has implementing RAAT.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(16-Sep-2018, 12:08)Pim Wrote: Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT) reads to me like Roon have set a protocol and whoever builds a RAAT ready device just has to comply with that protocol. I really wonder how much freedom a designer actually has implementing RAAT.

Not so much 'freedom in implementing', more a set of standards for 'how' it's implemented - i.e. thoroughly tested and verified as reliable, and supporting all the controls etc that RoonReady mandates (power on/off, input auto selection, volume controls, reporting back sample rates, etc). Thankfully, random pops and crackles aren’t part of the RAAT spec, so if it’s happening within the underlying Devialet code it will finally need fixing Smile

Pretty sure it will also be tested grouped with other RAAT devices to make sure playback sync is all working properly.

And it will have to sound equal to AIR - i.e. it can't just be shoehorned in, it has to be optimised to be the best it can be.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Does anyone remember did Mathieu or Joachim comment what was the status of the RAAT implementation six months ago? Did they stream any music to Devialet using RAAT or was it only a picture?

I do hope that Devialet doesn't have any freedom to do their own "artistic" implementation of the RAAT. We don't want an another disaster after the AIR... Something reliable would be nice Smile
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
(17-Sep-2018, 05:13)alaw Wrote: The screen shot above looks very promising. I contacted customer support in August regarding Roon, and received a reply: “Do not worry, a roon rat function and a more stable UPNP features are soon coming. Please await our news for the year 2018. ”.  I’m waiting with baited breath!

The Roon Rat:  Tongue

Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Roon Rat. Like it. Smile

I was thinking of digiOne signature. But the one I have is good enough for now, I’ll give it until the end of the year and see if RAAT (or Rat) appears. The longing to get rid of the extra boxes and plug is strong.