Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOtM SMS-200
Anyone has use sms-200 ultra with Devialet yet and any comment ? Especially compare with the non Ultra version. Thanks.
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
I have an ultra but never had the non-ultra, so I'm of no use in this comparison. Nevertheless, it sounds fantastic. Before the Devialet, the signal also goes through a Mutec MC-3 USB+. Maybe I will try without the Mutec in the future, especially that Mutec doesn't let DSD go through.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(22-Jun-2017, 22:38)zdenes Wrote: I have an ultra but never had the non-ultra, so I'm of no use in this comparison. Nevertheless, it sounds fantastic. Before the Devialet,  the signal also goes through a Mutec MC-3 USB+. Maybe I will try without the Mutec in the future, especially that Mutec doesn't let DSD go through.

thx for your sharing. I'm using my sms-200 with mutec MC-3 USB+ too, so wonder if it's favorable to upgrade to Ultra. 
Given that I've mutec MC-3 USB+ already,  if I've US$1k to spend for SQ improvement, shall I upgrade sms-200 to Ultra, or replace sms-200 with an TX-USBUltra, or add a clock to mutec ?
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
You cannot replace the SMS-200 with a TX-USBultra as that is not a streamer but a USB hub with a good clock (same as in the SMS-200 ultra). You can keep the SMS-200 and add a TX-USBultra but then you will have two boxes and of course, you will need one more USB cable (a few hundred more dollars to burn). And...you will want a good quality power supply for the TX-USBultra too. So you'll be spending a lot more money than just getting a SMS-200 ultra. Adding an external clock to the Mutec is probably a good idea, especially their own Ref 10 but that is 3600 euros. I would definitely wait for reviews first.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
(25-Jun-2017, 20:45)zdenes Wrote: Adding an external clock to the Mutec is probably a good idea, especially their own Ref 10 but that is 3600 euros.

Plus I imagine you'd want to rip the PSU out of it and replace it with a much more expensive one. And factor in at least another grand for an acceptable BNC cable. So it's probably more like 5,000 all in. Big Grin

(Sorry, I really know I shouldn't, but I just don't have the willpower to resist).

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(25-Jun-2017, 20:45)zdenes Wrote: You cannot replace the SMS-200 with a TX-USBultra as that is not a streamer but a USB hub with a good clock (same as in the SMS-200 ultra). You can keep the SMS-200 and add a TX-USBultra but then you will have two boxes and of course, you will need one more USB cable (a few hundred more dollars to burn). And...you will want a good quality power supply for the TX-USBultra too. So you'll be spending a lot more money than just getting a SMS-200 ultra. Adding an external clock to the Mutec is probably a good idea, especially their own Ref 10 but that is 3600 euros. I would definitely wait for reviews first.

What I mean replace is comparison of SQ between below 3 route :

1. NUC Roon server -> sms-200 -> mutec mc3 USB -> Devialet

2. NUC Roon server -> sms-200 -> tX-USBultra -> Devialet

3. NUC Roon server -> sotm tX-USBultra -> Devialet

I'm current setup is route 1 , switching to route 2 will cost me small amount of money, and route 3 cause me the least.
Denali 2000T
I have feeling that of the above no.1 will sound the best. I don't think anybody has tried these, so you'll be the first one, please report back.
Why don't you try roon - sms200 - tx-USBulra - mutec - devialet?
(27-Jun-2017, 16:59)zdenes Wrote: I have feeling that of the above no.1 will sound the best. I don't think anybody has tried these, so you'll be the first one, please report back.
Why don't you try roon - sms200 - tx-USBulra - mutec - devialet?

Kwan - I would tend to agree with zdenes above.  There has been quite a lot posted on this forum regarding the differences between sound quality via the Devialet's AES/EBU input versus USB.  So if you make the assumption that AES/EBU input is preferred, then having a Mutec MC3+USB in the chain will most likely perform better than tx-USButlra.  That said, I have read some very positive reports of the tx-USBultra over on Computer Audiophile, so maybe it just might work very well.  Who knows, as zdenes mentions, you might actually be the first to try this with a Devialet.  Another interesting option might be Uptone Audio's IsoRegen.  The IsoRegen interests me because I suspect that some of the perceived deficit between the Devialet's USB and AES/EBU input may relate to isolation issues / ground loop type issues with the  Devialet's USB input.  But the same problem!  I am not aware of anyone who has tried an IsoRegen with a Devialet either.

You can of course try the AES/EBU versus USB comparison yourself, this might give you some insight as to what the Mutec and AES offers regarding sound quality.

So the safe bet is the Mutec MC3+USB, because quite a few folk have tried one and reported good results.  (to varying degrees)  The rest is speculation, but who knows, there might be a giant killing brilliant solution out there waiting to be discovered.  Who's going to go first? Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Kwan, zdenes and others, there are some very interesting posts being written on Computer Audiophile at the moment, might be worth a look:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum.../?page=105

(you might even want to read backwards from the page 105 per the link, depending on if you can spare a day or two!)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi Confused,
Thank you, it is interesting indeed!

Zoltan