Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOtM SMS-200
(28-Jun-2017, 12:34)Confused Wrote: Kwan, zdenes and others, there are some very interesting posts being written on Computer Audiophile at the moment, might be worth a look:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum.../?page=105

(you might even want to read backwards from the page 105 per the link, depending on if you can spare a day or two!)

Thanks a lot, it's very informative.
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
Hans Beekhuyzen goes slightly bonkers when reviewing the sMS-200Ultra, to the extent that he needs to clarify that he does not take drugs and has not had a drink for a while. Anyway, spoiler alert, I think he likes it, a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCoFIdPLcUk
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Has anyone bought this unit and compared it to roon/air??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am keen on the SotM sMS-200ultra with their upgraded PSU the sMS-500. 

I'm looking at the above solution from SOtM to replace my [ Macbook + Roon Air ] setup using ethernet as the preferred medium. 

I would be obliged if fellow members using the SOtM system could offer their inputs whether :

1. Streaming to Devialet using Ethernet and SOtM running Roon player is possible ?

2. To what degree would the SOtM sMS-200ultra + sMS-500 be superior to a macbook + Roon AIR  ?

3. Any other notable inputs from fellow members on the above ...

Many Thanks in advance !!   Smile
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(02-Nov-2017, 16:29)audio_engr Wrote: I am keen on the SotM sMS-200ultra with their upgraded PSU the sMS-500. 

I'm looking at the above solution from SOtM to replace my [ Macbook + Roon Air ] setup using ethernet as the preferred medium. 

I would be obliged if fellow members using the SOtM system could offer their inputs whether :

1. Streaming to Devialet using Ethernet and SOtM running Roon player is possible ?

2. To what degree would the SOtM sMS-200ultra + sMS-500 be superior to a macbook + Roon AIR  ?

I notice this one has been left unanswered, so although I am perhaps not the best placed person to respond (I have no experience of the sMS-200Ultra), I am happy to chime in with what I do know.

Firstly, if you want to replace your Macbook and run Roon, then the sMS-200Ultra is not what you want.  In principle, the sMS-200Ultra is an Ethernet to USB music renderer, so it would need to be fed by a Mac or PC running Roon.  This is not entirely the case, the sMS-200Ultra can play direct from a USB hard drive, but with very basic UPnP control, but not Roon.

So point by point:

1. Not possible.  You would need to run Roon core on another device (say your Mac), feed Ethernet to the sMS-200, the sMS-200 would then feed the Devialet via USB.

2.  From what I have read elsewhere the sMS-200Ultra is a very fine performer, for sure better than a MacBook via USB.  I suspect the gap to Roon AIR would be somewhat smaller though.

3.  If you want to take the computer out of your system, you would need a music server that can run Roon core.  They do exist, I would suggest taking a look at the Antipodes range, not cheap but they are getting a very good reputation.  There are very many ways of doing this though, alternatives like NUC's, the Sonictransporter (which would run Roon and feed a sMS-200) or maybe the Elac discovery for a more cost effective solution, although that would probably sound worse than Roon AIR.

EDIT:  It might be worth having a read through the good and the bad in this thread.  I think the Zenith should be able to do what you want per point 1 above.

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3853
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(02-Nov-2017, 16:29)audio_engr Wrote: I am keen on the SotM sMS-200ultra with their upgraded PSU the sMS-500. 

Sorry to answer your question with another question, but: what is it about your current set-up (MacBook and Roon/AIR) that you're not happy with?  That might help give a better perspective on what you're trying to achieve in changing it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Slightly different answer because I did not have ultra. I was running SMS-200 with LPS-1 Power supply and Mutec MC3+USB. I sold that front end in favor of ROON AIR.  I heard bigger improvements from Shunyata gear(Denali+Sigma and Delta PCs) than the above mentioned front end. Although I would love to hear Ultra + Mutec Ref10 combination.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(04-Nov-2017, 12:27)Confused Wrote:

I notice this one has been left unanswered, so although I am perhaps not the best placed person to respond (I have no experience of the sMS-200Ultra), I am happy to chime in with what I do know.

Firstly, if you want to replace your Macbook and run Roon, then the sMS-200Ultra is not what you want.  In principle, the sMS-200Ultra is an Ethernet to USB music renderer, so it would need to be fed by a Mac or PC running Roon.  This is not entirely the case, the sMS-200Ultra can play direct from a USB hard drive, but with very basic UPnP control, but not Roon.

So point by point:

1. Not possible.  You would need to run Roon core on another device (say your Mac), feed Ethernet to the sMS-200, the sMS-200 would then feed the Devialet via USB.

2.  From what I have read elsewhere the sMS-200Ultra is a very fine performer, for sure better than a MacBook via USB.  I suspect the gap to Roon AIR would be somewhat smaller though.

3.  If you want to take the computer out of your system, you would need a music server that can run Roon core.  They do exist, I would suggest taking a look at the Antipodes range, not cheap but they are getting a very good reputation.  There are very many ways of doing this though, alternatives like NUC's, the Sonictransporter (which would run Roon and feed a sMS-200) or maybe the Elac discovery for a more cost effective solution, although that would probably sound worse than Roon AIR.

EDIT:  It might be worth having a read through the good and the bad in this thread.  I think the Zenith should be able to do what you want per point 1 above.

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3853

Thanks @Confused ... you've thrown in some ideas that I'll investigate ...  Smile
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(04-Nov-2017, 15:05)thumb5 Wrote: Sorry to answer your question with another question, but: what is it about your current set-up (MacBook and Roon/AIR) that you're not happy with?  That might help give a better perspective on what you're trying to achieve in changing it.

I am indeed happy with it BUT am looking at ways to better it ...
A very interesting review comparing the Sonore Signature Rendu with the SOtM ‘triple set’

https://www.audiostream.com/content/audi...re-vs-sotm