Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOtM SMS-200
Thanks Confused

@Rama - I will try and check a direct connection via USB over the weekend and let you know
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
@Dan Thanks! The issue did not exist before the CI board upgrade so I can only hope that this is a bug in the firmware and not a hardware fault. Anyhow I look forward to your findings.
@Rama - found myself at the house unexpectedly and made a direct usb connection from the 200ultra to the Devialet - eliminating the mutec - indeed pops and pings occur - not constant or loud but about every couple of seconds.

Not sure if that’s good news or bad for you - I quickly switched back to the mutec and xlr connection - one can get superstitious about these things you know........
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
@Dan Thank you. This would be classified as good news, since I won't have to send my D440 pro (CI) back to France, unless there is a major recall. After my experience with the CI board upgrade, it is clear to me that Devialet have a lot of work to do. But I am very happy with the sonic improvements, so I will patiently wait for them to fix everything.
An almost moderately interesting review of the sMS-200Ultra.  Note the reviewer uses a 220Pro.  Enjoy!

https://www.scribd.com/document/37270869...-Hfw-apr18
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Some news from SOtM - A new "Neo" version of the sMS-200 and sMS-200Ultra.

From SOtM:

SOtM is going to release the sMS-200 Neo and sMS-200ultra Neo. They are a newer version of the original sMS-200 and sMS-200ultra, and sound colors and sound characteristic are different from the original version. The Neo has deeper mid-range and better bass expressions compared to the original version. And the original version has little more dynamics and presents bright sound compared to Neo version. With such changes, the overall balance of Neo becomes richer and brings musical inspiration.

Pricing and Availability

The price is the same as the standard version.

If you would like to change your current standard version to Neo version, the following price would be required

-      Keep the front panel to the same as original : USD30

-      Change the front panel to the Neo : USD80

The component inside of original version have been changed and selected new component for Neo, so the standard version will be discontinued and Neo version is going to be available from the first week of August. Pre order is available from now on.

I have to say I am a little surprised that the cost of this upgrade is $30.  When you consider parts, labour, administration time, and so on, $30 is not much!  (It will certainly be a lot more cash to ship to Korea and back) And let's be honest here, in the rarefied world of hifi kit, I doubt many people would question a $100 charge for un upgrade of this type.

That said, this is of particular interest to myself.  As I have mentioned in my streaming thread, I have found the sMS-200Ultra to sound a little "thin and bright", and here we have SOtM claiming that "The Neo has deeper mid-range and better bass expressions compared to the original version. And the original version has little more dynamics and presents bright sound compared to Neo version." -  This sounds perfect to me, except it does imply the Neo has inferior dynamics!  I wonder if this was lost in translation a little bit?  Maybe not?

I also note that it is an extra $50 for the new front panel, which to me looks identical to the old front panel, except for "Neo" written in tiny vertical text.

Amongst the sMS-200Ultra users here, I find the unit a little bright, whilst others do not.  I wonder how many of us will bother to upgrade?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Quote:Amongst the sMS-200Ultra users here, I find the unit a little bright, whilst others do not.  I wonder how many of us will bother to upgrade?

I have thought about doing the upgrade @Confused  but then again I dont feel that my SMS 200 ultra is that bright through the tXUSBultra feeding my TAD dac. My plans are more leaning towards loaning my dealers dCS Network Bridge and compare it to the SOtM rigg. One box instead of the four (two SOtM and two SR4 PSU) I have taoday is rather tempting Smile
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(07-Jul-2018, 11:56)octaviars Wrote:
Quote:Amongst the sMS-200Ultra users here, I find the unit a little bright, whilst others do not.  I wonder how many of us will bother to upgrade?

I have thought about doing the upgrade @Confused  but then again I dont feel that my SMS 200 ultra is that bright through the tXUSBultra feeding my TAD dac. My plans are more leaning towards loaning my dealers dCS Network Bridge and compare it to the SOtM rigg. One box instead of the four (two SOtM and two SR4 PSU) I have taoday is rather tempting Smile

Perhaps for a $100 (or so) extra, SotM could give users a knob on the front so people could dial anywhere between 'thin and bright' and 'richer, deeper mids and better bass'? Huh Confused

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(07-Jul-2018, 11:56)octaviars Wrote:

Indeed, here I am very different in that I do feel the sMS-200Ultra is a little bright so the upgrade looks perfect for me.  Coincidentally, I have been offered a loan of a Network Bridge myself and was planning to pick it up next week.  Now I am thinking that for me I would want to compare the Network Bridge to the Neo version, so this is one plan I might need to stall.  If you do jump to the NB, I am sure I could find a home for those SR4's by the way!
Quote:If you do jump to the NB, I am sure I could find a home for those SR4's by the way!

I will keep you in mind @Confused if I am going to sell them. I have some other plans that might bring a 4 rail SR7 my way and then the SR4 might be used for other stuff but time will tell Big Grin
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree