Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOtM SMS-200
I am currently using SOtM 200-Ultra with SOtM-500, unfortunately I am hearing lots of pops and clicks when connected to my Dev 440 Pro (CI). I have raised the issue with Devialet and SOtM. Hoping that either company will fix the issue in the next firmware update.
Are you hearing these pops and clicks during playback or just when connected? If it is during playback, what software do you use?
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(22-Dec-2017, 11:14)zdenes Wrote: Are you hearing these pops and clicks during playback or just when connected? If it is during playback, what software do you use?

I am hearing it during music playback, SOtM is set as a DLNA device using the Melco N1A as a NAS. Control point is Kazoo on my Laptop.
(22-Dec-2017, 12:31)Rama Wrote:
(22-Dec-2017, 11:14)zdenes Wrote: Are you hearing these pops and clicks during playback or just when connected? If it is during playback, what software do you use?

I am hearing it during music playback, SOtM is set as a DLNA device using the Melco N1A as a NAS. Control point is Kazoo on my Laptop.

As an experiment, you could try running your Melco N1A direct to the Devialet via USB.  If this works without the clicks, it would at least help narrow down where the issue is.  Plus, it might be a click free workable solution while you wait for software glitches to be sorted out.  If the Melco direct also suffers from the clicks, then at least it eliminates the sMS-200 as being the issue.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-Dec-2017, 13:16)Confused Wrote:
(22-Dec-2017, 12:31)Rama Wrote:

As an experiment, you could try running your Melco N1A direct to the Devialet via USB.  If this works without the clicks, it would at least help narrow down where the issue is.  Plus, it might be a click free workable solution while you wait for software glitches to be sorted out.  If the Melco direct also suffers from the clicks, then at least it eliminates the sMS-200 as being the issue.

Thanks @Confused the USB connection is working fine via the Melco N1A to the D440 Pro (CI), no pops and clicks. My best guess is that since the SOtM-200 Ultra has a sCLK-EX clock it is somehow not able to synchronise with the clock on the Core Infinity board. Somewhere there is a conflict between the two clocks.

Update: Spoke too soon, can still hear some clicks even with the Melco N1A USB. Definitely an issue Devialet will have to look at, although the pops and clicks are not as frequent.
For what it's worth, I just added a SOtM 200ultra (replacing a mRendu) in my system feeding a mutec mc3+usb then on to a 1000 (with the CI bd) - so far no clicks or poops. Music is coming from ROON and HQPlayer. It's just been up and running for a few days but ok so far.
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
Would you mind trying out a direct connection from the SOtM 200 Ultra USB port to your D 1000 (CI)? Thanks
(22-Dec-2017, 14:40)Dan Wrote: For what it's worth, I just added a SOtM 200ultra (replacing a mRendu) in my system feeding a mutec mc3+usb then on to a 1000 (with the CI bd) - so far no clicks or poops. Music is coming from ROON and HQPlayer. It's just been up and running for a few days but ok so far.

Have you noticed much of a difference with the sMS-200Ultra replacing your old microRendu?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@Confused - I'm still in the break-in phase - playing it constantly but at low volumes. However, I've slipped a few times (couldn't resist) and cranked it up - I thought it sounded pretty darn good - hope to spend some time over the weekend doing some more critical listening. I also just received a Cybershaft master clock that I am resisting adding to the mix until I have a good sense of the changes the 200 ultra brings.
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
(22-Dec-2017, 15:33)Dan Wrote: @Confused - I'm still in the break-in phase - playing it constantly but at low volumes. However, I've slipped a few times (couldn't resist) and cranked it up - I thought it sounded pretty darn good - hope to spend some time over the weekend doing some more critical listening. I also just received a Cybershaft master clock that I am resisting adding to the mix until I have a good sense of the changes the 200 ultra brings.

That sounds like my approach, only ever change one thing at a time.  I have to say that it is an approach that has served me well.  Anyway, take your time, enjoy, and maybe report back what you have a better feel for things.  Thanks for the update.