Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOtM SMS-200
(25-Feb-2017, 10:05)Confused Wrote:
(22-Feb-2017, 21:57)mdconnelly Wrote: I've spent a good bit of time comparing my Sonore microRendu using an iFi PS versus Devialet AIR 3.01beta.

I bought the uRendu because AIR 2.13 was just flakey.   But 3.01 beta seems quite stable -at least running on my Win 10 box. 

Sound quality wise, I do hear a slight difference between AIR and the uRendu and generally prefer the uRendu.  But, to be honest, I've heard some tracks where I liked AIR better.    If I had to be pinned down, I'd say the uRendu renders the bottom end a bit better/tighter.  

With that said, I generally use my 440 Pro with the uRendu and am now thinking of buying an Uptone LPS-1 power supply for it.

If I didn't already own the uRendu, I'd probably just stick with AIR if it's stable for you and wait to see how the SoTM SMS-200 "ultra" will be priced.  My guess is that Sonore will produce an upgraded uRendu as well.   If we're real lucky, we may also know by then what Devialet will do with the new OS/streaming board.

It's interesting that your observations re the mR vs AIR are more or less the exact opposite to what I found when I tried the mR vs AIR on my D800.  Then I found the bass to be more accurate via AIR, but had a marginal preference for the mR for just about everything else above about 200Hz.  The thing is though, I did briefly try the same with the 1000 Pro, and with the Pro the slight deficit in bass accuracy vs AIR was much reduced, additionally the bass 'punch' was a touch better via the mR, with some music at least. The differences are small, and I think what comes out best could easily be system dependant, rather than absolutes.  My theory is that something has improved with the USB implementation of the Pro, I notice you are running a 440 Pro, have you noticed anything in this regard?  It is worth mentioning that per the specs and other information from Devialet, the USB input is unchanged.  But I do wonder if maybe something has improved, maybe better galvanic isolation or something.

You'll probably find a post here somewhere where I said exactly what you're saying.   When I just had the 200, I did prefer AIR 3 beta slightly.  With a 220 Pro and now a 440 Pro, I'm leaning more  toward USB via uRendu.  So I think I agree that the USB on the Pro sounds better, but whether they actually changed the USB integration or it's just the result of the way the Pro sounds, I can't say.   Hell, it could also just be my imagination.

As I said, I think I would be totally happy with AIR 3 beta now if I had never bought the uRendu.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Is the name Ultra the name given by Sotm to the new SMS-200 or something that someone made up? Cant find much info on this.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

It's not yet been formally introduced yet by SOtM so that's why there's little to be found about it. But is has been shared with a customer of SOTM (Romaz who is active on CA).

Just wait a bit, we should know more in April.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-Mar-2017, 19:03)Antoine Wrote: It's not yet been formally introduced yet by SOtM so that's why there's little to be found about it. But is has been shared with a customer of SOTM (Romaz who is active on CA).

Just wait a bit, we should know more in April.

Do we know what will be different? I think I have seen something about better klocking is that right?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

Just look up Romaz's posts on CA, you'll then know as much as anyone can here.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-Mar-2017, 20:21)Antoine Wrote: Just look up Romaz's posts on CA, you'll then know as much as anyone can here.

There is actually something new on their site, but it is not integrated with sms-200.

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/englis...-usbultra/
(02-Mar-2017, 18:33)mirekti Wrote:
(01-Mar-2017, 20:21)Antoine Wrote: Just look up Romaz's posts on CA, you'll then know as much as anyone can here.

There is actually something new on their site, but it is not integrated with sms-200.

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/englis...-usbultra/

Is this equal to a Regen? Seems the price is 900 Dollars if the Sotm US page is right.

https://sotm-usa.com/collections/feature...egenerator

Also the upcoming PSU.

https://sotm-usa.com/products/sms-500

Second system

Hi Antoine,

Any guess whether the benefits of the improved clock of SOtM, which seem very audible in the case of an USB fed DAC, will be as audible in a configuration such as yours, with a Mutec which is already reclocking before feeding into the Devialet ?
I got LPS-1 yesterday and I'm delighted with the combo now (SMS-200 + Mutec USB MC3 + LSP-1). I now totally concur with Antoine that people should budget for a decent(not uber expensive) PS like LPS-1 along with SMS-200 to get full benefit of a player.
The sound is even more life like with good micro dynamics and separation of instruments. The soundstage widened quite a bit. Sometimes I had to hit the pause button to check whether few sound effects were really coming from speakers while listening to Floyd.

Before I got my PS, the sound improved a bit by changing to ROON from SMS lite. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me, but the sound was relatively flat using SMS lite. Anyone else experienced this with SMS-200?
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(17-Mar-2017, 23:09)sam1000 Wrote: Sometimes I had to hit the pause button to check whether few sound effects were really coming from speakers while listening to Floyd.

Well, you can't get a much better outcome than that I don't think!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<