Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOtM SMS-200
Chromecast audio is perfect. Will save money now instead of streamer which does not provide any major step (others are much more expensive).
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
(05-May-2017, 16:28)Confused Wrote: A review of the sMS-200

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/re...view-r648/

I found this to be a particularly interesting review.  However, I could not help myself thinking if the author was in anyway influenced by the fact that rival Sonore pay for a sponsored section on Computer Audiophile's website?  We will never know for sure!

Wow.. Shows complete bias towards the advertisers.  I used to think CA was little different than other Audio Magazines/forums, but someone's going to have to pay the bills I suppose.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(05-May-2017, 21:14)sam1000 Wrote:
(05-May-2017, 16:28)Confused Wrote: A review of the sMS-200

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/re...view-r648/

I found this to be a particularly interesting review.  However, I could not help myself thinking if the author was in anyway influenced by the fact that rival Sonore pay for a sponsored section on Computer Audiophile's website?  We will never know for sure!

Wow.. Shows complete bias towards the advertisers.  I used to think CA was little different than other Audio Magazines/forums, but someone's going to have to pay the bills I suppose.

Actually, I did not think the article appeared to be overly biased in any way.  Although, because I have only used the microRendu and have not tried the sMS-200, it is impossible for me to judge.  Plus, it is worth noting that both SOtM and Sonore sponsor Computer Audiophile.  I suspect that Sonore are the bigger contributor though, which did make me wonder a little.  To be honest, whenever I read a review I always think through what personal agendas and biases the author may have, even for user reviews.  For anyone out there that does have the sMS-200, was there anything in the article that does not look right?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
An advert from a Elite Audio in the June edition of Hi-Fi News and a Record Review offers the new SOtM
tX-USBultra for £990 including an sCLK-EX 10mHz Super Clock Module worth £210 thrown in free.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Don't know what to make of that CA review of the SMS-200. I think it's badly written but I feel that way about most of his reviews and usually don't even read them anymore. I also don't like the guy (he banned me from CA to silence me as he felt I was attacking one of his sponsors JRiver so I may be biased here. Wink) He's also the one who wrote that any components upstream of the mR didn't matter in the end result. Boy was he wrong there too!!

Anyway it's just the opinion of one guy who indeed may have his own biases and agenda's. I like the SMS-200 (which replaced my mR) very much and also can't remember coming across a single report of any end user who didn't prefer it over the mR.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
One thing I would like to check with sMS-200 users. There is some mention of software stability in the Computer Audiophile article. Much of this is related to issues when switching between DACs, which to be frank is utterly irrelevant to must users, who for obvious reasons will use the device with one DAC only for most if not all of the time. However, one thing I regularly do with my microRendu is switch between modes. So sometime I use the Roon mode, I might then switch to Shairport or DLNA modes. This is very easy and stable on the mR, not really any more difficult or less reliable that switching a pre amp button from CD to Tuner or whatever. Is the same true with the sMS-200?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(07-May-2017, 09:59)Confused Wrote: One thing I would like to check with sMS-200 users.  There is some mention of software stability in the Computer Audiophile article.  Much of this is related to issues when switching between DACs, which to be frank is utterly irrelevant to must users, who for obvious reasons will use the device with one DAC only for most if not all of the time.  However, one thing I regularly do with my microRendu is switch between modes.  So sometime I use the Roon mode, I might then switch to Shairport or DLNA modes.  This is very easy and stable on the mR, not really any more difficult or less reliable that switching a pre amp button from CD to Tuner or whatever.  Is the same true with the sMS-200?

I have switched between Roon and LMS couple of times without any issues. Thats why I was perplexed at software issues mentioned in the review :-)
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
Before the 'direct ethernet connection' tweak (well it's much more than a tweak from a SQ point of view) I switched from Roon Ready to Shairport mode and back a couple of times (to use the free Spotify Premium account that comes with my Internet subscription) without issues. 99% of the time it was in Roon Ready mode though so I wouldn't dare to say my experiences are the 'norm'.

(Since Airplay etc. no longer works (by design) in my current setup I switched to Tidal HiFi and use it from inside Roon. Smile)
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
On my system with NUC as Roon server,Chord DAVE,devialet,i switch from mR to ifi iUSB3 and things improved,then change to sms-200 and further imoroved。
So i would rate sms-200 much higher then mR,which is diff from theCA review。
Furthermore,i found the tonal signal of mR is thin / lightest among the 3 above,so their comment saying mR is more like vinyl surprise me。
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
(10-May-2017, 00:24)Kwan Wrote: On my system with NUC as Roon server,Chord DAVE,devialet,i switch from mR to ifi iUSB3 and things improved,then change to sms-200 and further imoroved。
So i would rate sms-200 much higher then mR,which is diff from theCA review。
Furthermore,i found the tonal signal of mR is thin / lightest among the 3 above,so their comment saying mR is more like vinyl surprise me。

Have you had a chance to compare either with AIR 3.0.4?   Curious to know your thoughts.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA