Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOtM SMS-200
@octaviars that version you have of the 4.2.2. is that also 7.7gb just as the 0.4.5.1. version?

weird that i am only one with that issue..tried it with laptop..normal volume level on same dac/amp.

update..i formatted two 16gb sdcards several times and both put 0.4.5.1. on them...somehow the faster card performs better..especially when playing 24bit/96khz (over) 9000kbit/s wav files . the sms200 struggles sometimes with those. But with the faster (100mb/s) card it looks like it stutters less times..have to get a really high end sd card to test it further.
@hifimanrookie I need to check the size of 4.22 when I get home from work today but I think it is smaller as I dont recall it being as large as the newer ones.

When my old original 8Gb card failed with 4.22 the first time SOtM recommended to get a 16Gb class 10 card and that one have worked as it should.

@Confused wrote that he had problems starting NAA and well Eunhasu is acting rather slow on starting Roon also but it works as it is supposed to do once it is up and runing.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

not happy..all worked yesterday (with stutter sometimes)..but today when i restarted the box..all was reset! what is wrong with this gear? again i cant play dsd and severe stutter is also back. AND I DIDNT DO ANYTHING THEN JUST SWITCH OFF YESTERDAY AND SWITCH ON TODAY. NEVER EVER EXPERIENCED THIS...and i have a plug-in problem, it wont let me update/ de-activate/ activate plug-ins now for some reason..COULD IT BE I HAVE A FAULTY BOX?

i am going to try a new sd cards (i have 4x new ones 16gb now...am desperate..lolz) with a fresh copy of 0.4.5.1, wish me luck at 3am.lolz

UPDATE at 6am: dsd works again..dont have a clue what i did...i just kept on making new versions of 0.4.5.1 until the last one worked...well..all higher quality files stutter like crazy as are the dsd files. and volume is still much lower as it should be. but the rest works.
damn i need to get ready for work.that will be fun..having meetings with no sleep at all this night....lolz
(11-Jan-2019, 01:35)hifimanrookie Wrote: not happy..all worked yesterday (with stutter sometimes)..but today when i restarted the box..all was reset! what is wrong with this gear? again i cant play dsd and severe stutter is also back. AND I DIDNT DO ANYTHING THEN JUST SWITCH OFF YESTERDAY AND SWITCH ON TODAY. NEVER EVER EXPERIENCED THIS...and i have a plug-in problem, it wont let me update/ de-activate/ activate plug-ins now for some reason..COULD IT BE I HAVE A FAULTY BOX?

i am going to try a new sd cards (i have 4x new ones 16gb now...am desperate..lolz) with a fresh copy of 0.4.5.1, wish me luck at 3am.lolz

UPDATE at 6am: dsd works again..dont have a clue what i did...i just kept on making new versions of 0.4.5.1 until the last one worked...well..all higher quality files stutter like crazy as are the dsd files. and volume is still much lower as it should be. but the rest works.
damn i need to get ready for work.that will be fun..having meetings with no sleep at all this night....lolz
Hi,
Your troubles are not unique, as you have gathered. I upgraded to 4.51, on a new microSD card, and have noted similar issues to you - stuttering, volume change, and the unit not retaining changes to the DAC config. Also although it would reboot it would not switch off through the software. I use Squeezelite, and it had all been working well until the upgrade, which I did by burning the image directly to the new card using imageUSB.
I have put the original card back in, with version 3.3 on it, and the problems have disappeared.
I will reformat the new card, rewrite the new image, and test it again in the next 24 hours, and let you know the results. If they continue to be poor then I will also write to SoTM and hope for a useful answer.
KR
Hi again,
An early opportunity to reflash the new card and use it with all default settings still results in very poor performance.
Editing the Squeezelite DAC config to Custom/sample format 24-3LE/buffer 160/period16 plus a reboot improved things a bit but not enough. It still stutters and sounds somehow muffled. In addition, when re-looking at the DAC config it had reverted to the default settings again.
So, I believe that there is 1 or more faults with the implementation of the Squeezelite software in 4.51, or perhaps with something else in the firmware.
I will try to contact SOtM and report any findings, but until then its back to v 3.3.
KR
(12-Jan-2019, 12:35)Hi5-pot-fan Wrote: Hi again,
An early opportunity to reflash the new card and use it with all default settings still results in very poor performance.
Editing the Squeezelite DAC config to Custom/sample format 24-3LE/buffer 160/period16 plus a reboot improved things a bit but not enough. It still stutters and sounds somehow muffled. In addition, when re-looking at the DAC config it had reverted to the default settings again.
So, I believe that there is 1 or more faults with the implementation of the Squeezelite software in 4.51, or perhaps with something else in the firmware.
I will try to contact SOtM and report any findings, but until then its back to v 3.3.
KR
Hi!

I think i found the solution for the problems we both are experiencing..and i found them by myself by accident i must say..lolz..

As a last ‘dont give a shit anymore’ act I, Last night at around 6am ish, changed the config into into this:

24-3LE, Buffers 10k (one step above 8192) and 180 instead of 160, and 18instead of 16, DSD on none and 96000

In the audio menu i changed dsf and dff into disable (not native anymore) and the other two options i didnt touch.

On top of that i dis-abled ALL the plugins i didnt need. And those are a LOT if you use squuezelight....oh..you have to do that one by one and restart every time..or else you cant disable them.

in server menu i changed dhcp into static ip address...and manually checked/ filled in all the right info.

PS: I MANUALLY RESTARTED THE BOX WITH EVERY STEP I DID, I LITERARELY TOOK OUT THE POWERCABLE OUT OF THE BOX EVERYTIME AND PUT IT IN AND RESTARTED IT. AND CHECKED IF THE CHANGES I MADE WERE STILL THERE. JUST TO MAKE SURE. AND TOOK PICTURES OF THE CHANGED SCREENS AFTER RESTART.

After all that and after double checking i disconnected ALL my gear from the grid for 2hrs...and all ethernet/ usb cables..all!!!

But most of all i used the f/w 0.4.5.1 that they put online last night, as on that one the dsdplayer plugin is already updated to version 1.0 instead of 0.5(which didnt update on my system!)

And now all play as it should...and the sound OMFG THE SOUND NOW..the sms really needs a good powersupply..not kidding

Ok..so:

Volume problem: solved
Plug-in update issue: solved
Stutters: SOLVED!
Dsd not playing: solved.
Muffled far away sound: soooooo gone...am on the right row again..i have a better ticket/ seat now....whahaha

It took me almost a week and at least two nights without any sleep this week (and i work!), but it works now..

.and i have to say, May from SOTM went to extremes in trying to help me...every day she reacted nicely with tips/ advices on my sometimes very disappointed or maybe even a bit angry mails..EVERY DAY....thats how you treat your customers..even the tough and demanding ones like me..lolz 

If you read this May, you are the best! 

So i hope the steps that worked for me can help you guys.

Am waiting for uptone to introduce their new switch as i need to upgrade my simple tplink sg105 and the 6year old cheap one-drive qnap NAS needs to be relieved from his tasks and go enjoy his well deserved pension..you did well old buddy! Lolz

..any tips on a good NAS?

For now i am off..see ya
Hifiman- that was a lot of work!
I have only spent 8 hours on this so far, and am currently running v0.4.22 after re-writing 0.4.51 3 times and testing about 12 different option sets.
So, next step is to re-load with 0.4.51 and try your suggestions, which I will do with confidence!
KR
Hi again,
Ok, after another too many hours I have found that I cannot save ANY config changes EXCEPT the media library location details in Library Config in the System Setup. I cannot force a static IP address, although the system info text shows the modified details (Staic UP and the new IP) even after a reboot, and even though I access the webpage with the DHCP address!
Most importantly the difficulties include being able to save NO changes at all in the Squeezelite config. I can make the changes on the webpages, then choose the relevant Save command, but when I look again the original setting remains. I have also tried at least twice with each card to make a change, save it, and immediately reboot, to no effect. So I cannot make any changes to the player settings as you have done.
These findings apply to v0.422 and v0.451, both of which were re-downloaded, and subsequently burned to 2 different cards (including the original card supplied with the unit and that came with v0.33). Each card was reformatted (including at least 1 full reformat using Windows) before having the new firmware burned on using USBImage. So, I do not think the issue relates to either the validity of the downloaded files, nor to the quality of the cards.
I have also tried using different browsers (Firefox and Chrome) - nothing different between these when loading , viewing or making changes.
The only saving grace is that with 0.422, on either card, there is no stuttering, but it is interesting that the Squeezelite default audio config settings in 0.422 are the same as shown in 0.451.
I do want to upgrade because on the few moments when the stuttering was absent I did think that v0.451 has a better SQ, and I would like to get this if it is real and if it is achievable.
So, one final request - can you advise how I contact May or a colleague at SOtM to get more help with this?
Many thanks.
I have spent quite a bit of time on 0.4.5.1 now. As mentioned in an earlier post, this was via burning an image to a micro SD card via a Windows PC. (ScanDisk 16GB) Most of my listening has been with HQPlayer NAA and this works fine and is stutter free. Yesterday I tried Roon RAAT, using the 0.2 buffer and 0.05 Resync delay as recommended by @octaviars earlier in the thread. I only tried this for an hour or so, but during this time it was 100% stutter free. On and off I have also used the Shairport mode, this too seems to work OK. 

So everything seems to work OK for me, but then again I have not been using the playback options that appear to be problematic for others. For those still struggling, I can only hope SOtM get there act together and provide a stable update. For the record, I think I preferred the sound via HQPlayer over Roon RAAT (using Roon to upsample to 24/192), but only just.

One other slightly curious observation. I checked for updates in Eunhasu yesterday, V0.4.5.1 was still the latest. I clicked on the kernel update, it updated and rebooted. Now I have just noticed that the "blinking light syndrome" has stopped. I have no idea if this is due to the kernel update or just a coincidence.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@5-pot-fan
i used their regular sotm helpdesk mail address and then May very fast contacted me.

fyi, May told me that very soon 0.4.5.2. will come out with solutions for the problems we all are experiencing..BUT...i will save my copy..just in case we get new problems with that one. lolz

i think my volume problems were also partly fault of my dac/amp. I think the 'handshake' somehow didnt go well between the sms200 and my Blue Circle Audio gear. and with restarting the connection got a reset and worked again as it should be..

about the improvements: May told me that they will implement changes into the new F/W to solve the issues that were reported to them (including my solutions if needed).

CORRECTION: 0.4.5.2. IS OUT NOW!!! ANYONE TRIED THAT ONE YET?