Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shunyata Research
For #1, since the high current outlets don’t have the noise reduction filter, it would make sense to use NR cord between Denali and 1000pro.
I use furutech ncf-50 adapter in conjunction with delta ef. But would prefer Sigma NR instead.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
Hi Ryan,

Here are answers to your questions:

Quote:1.  I don't really mind if the lid of the Expert Pro 1000 is on or not.  Given that I will have the Denali (which has its own CCI filtering), will it still make sense to get two Sigma NR to connect the Expert Pro 1000 units to the Denali or the Sigma ER will do?  In other words, is there any discernible difference between the NR and ER if one has the Denali in place already?

Yes it makes sense to use an NR cable rather than EF to connect a component to a Denali. The filters inside the NR IEC have been measured to reduce noise by 6 to 12 dB at 1 MHz and they are bidirectional meaning that they also reduce noise leaving the PSU. Assuming you connect both Devialets to the same HC zone there will be a theoretical benefit to this. 

Quote:2.  Then between the Denali and the wall socket, the same question, is there any discernible difference to use the NR over the EF?  I recall reading over at whatbestforum a response from the guys at Shunyata that for the Denali, it makes minimal difference whether NR or EF to the wall (unlike say Hydra)

Correct. With that said I recently sent a customer both to try with a Denali and they preferred the NR version. The differences are pretty minimal though. The Sigma EF was essentially designed to connect the Denali and Triton to the wall.

Quote:3.  This may be addressed by answers to question 1, I am also planning to upgrade the power cord for my PS Audio Directstream Memory Player to the Sigma power cord.  Again, any difference between the NR or EF given that the PS Audio DMP will be connected to the Denali as well?

I would go with NR. But a Delta or Alpha cable would do the job exceptionally well too. Both use exactly the same NR filter.

Quote:4.  Last but not least, any ideas why the Sigma EF cables are not listed on the Shunyata website?

I have been badgering them about this for ages and have been assured that the details will post very soon.

Hope that helps!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(26-Oct-2018, 13:34)sam1000 Wrote: For #1, since the high current outlets don’t have the noise reduction filter

Hi sam1000 this isn't strictly correct. Not many know this but the QR/BB module that feeds the two outlets in zone 3 (HC) actually sits inside an NIC module (filled with ferroelectric crystals) and therefore offers noise reduction. I saw this at the factory this week. You also have the CCI filter mounted directly behind the two HC outlets which contains proprietary multi-stage filters. In addition the Trident surge module includes noise reduction circuitry and this interfaces directly with this zone. So there is quite a bit going on!

You also have the proximal effects of the med filters in zone 2 and 3... I have demonstrated this effect by plugging an Entech noise analyser into one outlet of a duplex and then connecting a Delta NR into the other outlet of the same duplex. This generally shows quite a dramatic fall in the numbers recorded by the Entech.

The benefit of going with an NR cable is that you are zapping a good chunk of the noise at its point of inception, with some of the rest travelling to the Denali to be addressed there. You can never completely remove noise, you can only reduce it by a factor. 

Cheers,

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks for the explanation Guillaume. I stand corrected.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
I recently changed to Shunyata Delta NR from Shunyata Z-PC10 for the power cords connecting my Devialet 440 Pro CI to my Shunyata Denali 6000/S. The Delta NR made a noticeable improvement from what was already an excellent upgrade over other cords I tried. Since the Delta have upgraded geometry as well as noise reduction I can't isolate what made the improvement, but I heartily recommend the Shunyata NR with the Devialet.
(26-Oct-2018, 18:24)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi Ryan,

Here are answers to your questions:

Quote:1.  I don't really mind if the lid of the Expert Pro 1000 is on or not.  Given that I will have the Denali (which has its own CCI filtering), will it still make sense to get two Sigma NR to connect the Expert Pro 1000 units to the Denali or the Sigma ER will do?  In other words, is there any discernible difference between the NR and ER if one has the Denali in place already?

Yes it makes sense to use an NR cable rather than EF to connect a component to a Denali. The filters inside the NR IEC have been measured to reduce noise by 6 to 12 dB at 1 MHz and they are bidirectional meaning that they also reduce noise leaving the PSU. Assuming you connect both Devialets to the same HC zone there will be a theoretical benefit to this. 

Quote:2.  Then between the Denali and the wall socket, the same question, is there any discernible difference to use the NR over the EF?  I recall reading over at whatbestforum a response from the guys at Shunyata that for the Denali, it makes minimal difference whether NR or EF to the wall (unlike say Hydra)

Correct. With that said I recently sent a customer both to try with a Denali and they preferred the NR version. The differences are pretty minimal though. The Sigma EF was essentially designed to connect the Denali and Triton to the wall.

Quote:3.  This may be addressed by answers to question 1, I am also planning to upgrade the power cord for my PS Audio Directstream Memory Player to the Sigma power cord.  Again, any difference between the NR or EF given that the PS Audio DMP will be connected to the Denali as well?

I would go with NR. But a Delta or Alpha cable would do the job exceptionally well too. Both use exactly the same NR filter.

Quote:4.  Last but not least, any ideas why the Sigma EF cables are not listed on the Shunyata website?

I have been badgering them about this for ages and have been assured that the details will post very soon.

Hope that helps!

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

Thank you for all your answers which are so helpful!  Just two more questions really:
1.  From what you are saying, it seems that for my PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, you are suggesting that a Alpha NR cable would suffice (no need to go up to Sigma)?
2.  I understand from your previous posts that since the release of the UK version Denali, some of the improvements are making or have made its way into what would be the 'latest' versions of the US version Denali.  How can I ascertain or tell whether a particular Denali unit has these 'improvements' (e.g. is it from a certain production number onwards)?  I asked the dealer over here in HK and they didn't seem to know.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
(20-Nov-2018, 07:53)ryann Wrote: Hi Guillaume

Thank you for all your answers which are so helpful!  Just two more questions really:
1.  From what you are saying, it seems that for my PS Audio Directstream Memory Player, you are suggesting that a Alpha NR cable would suffice (no need to go up to Sigma)?
2.  I understand from your previous posts that since the release of the UK version Denali, some of the improvements are making or have made its way into what would be the 'latest' versions of the US version Denali.  How can I ascertain or tell whether a particular Denali unit has these 'improvements' (e.g. is it from a certain production number onwards)?  I asked the dealer over here in HK and they didn't seem to know.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Yes an Alpha NR would be great and even a Delta NR would do the job admirably too. I personally wouldn't bother going with a Sigma to feed a transport.

Regarding updates to the US/Schuko Denali versions I will need to check and let you know. 

Cheers,

Guillaume

UK
Very proud to announce that the UK Denali won a 2018 Product of the Year award at Hi-fi Plus! 

For those that are interested the write up is here:

.pdf   HIFI+166 Awards_Shunyata_LR.pdf (Size: 130.61 KB / Downloads: 36)

Guillaume

UK
Here's a brand new review of the UK Delta NR and EF power cables which appeared in the December 2018 edition of Hi-fi Plus:

.pdf   HIFI+166 Shunyata_LR.pdf (Size: 218.88 KB / Downloads: 51)

The intro was a bit mad and unexpected and makes it all the more relevant to this forum  Cool:

"I don’t generally like to cross-reference reviews from within the same issue of the magazine, and I especially don’t like to start a review in the middle, but this deserves saying: the review for the Devialet Pro Expert 140 on page 95 of this issue would have been materially differerent were it not for the inclusion of the Shunyata Research Delta NR power cords. The difference in performance was so marked, not only should Shunyata invest in a Devialet for demonstration purposes (and vice versa), but any member of the Shunyata team should be able to rock up at Devialet’s Parisian offices and demand the highest of high-grade croissant they get delivered daily. This is not synergy; what the Delta NR does happens universally... it’s just that the Devialet so benefits from what the Delta NR does, it’s almost laughable."

Guillaume

UK
We are just launching our new USB cables in the UK. For those of you using USB in your setups I really recommend trying one, we are not talking the usual small differences here (I have spent literally days of my life comparing digital cables and it isn't much fun!). All our UK dealers will be able to offer demos. If anything they are just worth a listen to see what USB is capable of.

Guillaume

UK