Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound differences between Devialet 200 and Devialet 250
I would go with 250
Bob - as dilemmas go, that's quite a nice one to have! It think to answer your question, you need to decide yourself what your medium term hifi desires actually are. If you read this thread from the beginning you will find posts that explain the difference between the amps, and establish a basic hierarchy of sound quality, D200, 250, 400, 800. Or to be clear, there are good technical reasons why the D400 sounds better than the D250. Having said that, the cost to go to the D250 does look temptingly low. Very tempting indeed! Now, once you have your D250, you then of course have the option one day to go dual mono D800. Consider this, you are not paying that much now (relatively speaking) to make the jump to a D250. In time, the second hand cost of companion D250's will presumably keep falling. So with a bit of patience, you could go D250 now, and then D800 a little further down the road. The total cost of this might not be much more in total than the cost of the D400 option next year. However, if you really have no desire ever to get to a D800, then as I said earlier, the D400 is ahead of the D250 with respect to sound quality, so that might make this better option.
(27-Nov-2015, 08:43)Confused Wrote: Bob - as dilemmas go, that's quite a nice one to have!  It think to answer your question, you need to decide yourself what your medium term hifi desires actually are.  If you read this thread from the beginning you will find posts that explain the difference between the amps, and establish a basic hierarchy of sound quality, D200, 250,  400, 800.  Or to be clear, there are good technical reasons why the D400 sounds better than the D250.  Having said that, the cost to go to the D250 does look temptingly low.  Very tempting indeed!  Now, once you have your D250, you then of course have the option one day to go dual mono D800.  Consider this, you are not paying that much now (relatively speaking) to make the jump to a D250.  In time, the second hand cost of companion D250's will presumably keep falling.  So with a bit of patience, you could go D250 now, and then D800 a little further down the road.  The total cost of this might not be much more in total than the cost of the D400 option next year.  However, if you really have no desire ever to get to a D800, then as I said earlier, the D400 is ahead of the D250 with respect to sound quality, so that might make this better option.

Thanks Confused. 

I appreciate the hierachy example which highlights, there is a next step to the 800, (and potential cost effective route), which provides for that eventual, (and expected), desire to add more power. no32, an experienced D250 was very supportive of taking advantage of the offer.

Yes, the D250 route is financially, most enticing right now. The only missing item I understand so far is SAM from the D250 upgrade. Not sure what is different between the electronics for both D200 and D250 and historically, I have not needed to use, (current speaker system makes use of the Sub out to drive the sub woofers).

Other than SAM, any other areas one could see D250/800 route being different versus the D200/400?

thanks again.

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
Wait I lost you , my 250 has Sam option , I don't use it . Are you saying its isn't active ?
(27-Nov-2015, 17:59)no32 Wrote: Wait I lost you , my 250 has Sam option , I don't use it . Are you saying its isn't active ?

That is what the dealer told me this morning via email. Has all the upgrades but according to him, does not have SAM. Thus the query for what else might be missing. 

I am on a flight from Calgary to Vancouver right now, will call him once I land to get clarification as I do not know what part of the amp provides SAM which due to the processing, might suggest other areas are impacted. 

Cheers

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
I'm just about to land in nyc
(27-Nov-2015, 18:34)no32 Wrote: I'm just about to land in nyc

Love this wifi on the planes!

Confirmed by second dealer, upgraded D-Premiers to D250's have new MB but do not have SAM.

Bob
Just called my Dealer, firmed up the upgrade exchange, D250, here I come! Too bad, I am traveling all next week!

Looking forward to my 3rd Devialet, first was the 120, then the 200, now 250!

Won't be updating report till I get back but will report my experiences then.

Cheers

Bob
(27-Nov-2015, 19:40)boba2013 Wrote: ...upgraded D-Premiers to D250's have new MB but do not have SAM.

Bob

??????????????????

What's this?
I have an upgraded D-Premier and have SAM running just fine. I think they may have been confusing the 2 types of upgrades that were available, one being the full upgrade incl DSPs and the other being just the "input upgrade".
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)