Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound differences between Devialet 200 and Devialet 250
If only they could work out a way to make a dual mono fit in a single case. One day maybe.... Wink

I half-considered an upgrade to a used 250, since I don't want to go to two boxes, but its quite a big jump in price and the general consensus seems to be dual mono in either case is the biggest step.

Perhaps one day I'll get a demo, but for now I should just be happy with what I've got - Christmas time always makes me quite pensive about owning luxuries like expensive hifi kit when others in the world are struggling to survive….

(apologies for the downer)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(04-Dec-2015, 14:09)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If only they could work out a way to make a dual mono fit in a single case.  One day maybe.... Wink

I half-considered an upgrade to a used 250, since I don't want to go to two boxes, but its quite a big jump in price and the general consensus seems to be dual mono in either case is the biggest step.  

Perhaps one day I'll get a demo, but for now I should just be happy with what I've got - Christmas time always makes me quite pensive about owning luxuries like expensive hifi kit when others in the world are struggling to survive….

(apologies for the downer)

Yes, two boxes kill the deal for me too. So far. Wink
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(04-Dec-2015, 12:58)Confused Wrote: I think Guillaume's comment that "this is largely speaker dependent" is absolutely right.  The 200 with some speakers sounds absolutely terrific, 100% of how a Devialet powered system should sound.  I too auditioned what was then the 170/240, but with the KEF Blade.  The 240 sounded excellent, the 170 did not.  The difference was significant.  Going dual mono was another step up, but with the Blades it was the step from the 170 to the 240 that was bay far the most significant.  So I think it depends on speaker compatibility.  If the 200 is happy driving your particular speakers, then the jump to the 250 may indeed be less than going dual mono.  You can't really consider the amp in isolation.

Guillaume and Confused, you are perfectly correct. My research had me for some reason, thinking, the electronics, PSU, etc; were different but irrespective, as stated, I have a brand new D250 waiting for me when I arrive tonight. Going to get a nice glass of Scotch poured, hook up the beast and sit back and enjoy my decision.

There is no doubt, the controller and chassis exhume a bit higher status and as I have a pair of Harbeth 40.1's, (borrowed for another week), to drive, (86db), might be able to personally see if the extra 50 Watts help out.

And, I am on my way to an 800 if I ever want to go that route!

Cheers and thanks

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
(04-Dec-2015, 17:17)boba2013 Wrote: There is no doubt, the controller and chassis exhume a bit higher status...

I think (hope) you mean "exude"... Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
For me the step up to a 250 from a 200 was the right move over a 400. I felt the sound was considerably more open with better soundstage, sweeter treble, more dynamic and tighter bass, and consequently just more like music. I know this goes against the popular opinion but as ever, everything is very system dependent and down to personal taste.......and I definitely didn't want another box!
And just to add, I feel that although the 250 only gives a small step up in power it seems the quality of all the power it provides is just noticeably better and not in anyway clinical or matter of fact.
(04-Dec-2015, 07:59)Borgen Wrote: Maybe you should read through the threads of Manoet (see Tweaker's Corner) on rebuilding of the 200 for better temperature control, PEMs and other, and the impact of this on sound quality (subjective, but still). This may give you an idea about the "spectrum of improvements possible" related to chassis, cooling and other.

Thanks Borgen for the suggestion. Wow, I do see some nice "Mods" including the IED which is very tempting! I shudder to think of touching my new unit, Manoet and others who have made these mods', hats off to you. 

I think I will wait a while before even getting close to the amp's insides, work on room conditioning and things like that first. I currently use a Mac Mini loaded with my music, (upgraded with fast 1TB SSD), feeding via Internet to a LINN Majik for streaming services, COAX to D200 and directly connected via USB to the Devialet for Movie playing while search is on for replacement to LINN's Kazoo, (testing all the software I can. Like Roon but it does not do Internet site streaming like Radio Paradise so holding back on it). 

I've have ordered the suite of products from Uptone Audio, (LPS, DC/Fan conversion kit and the REGEN) which is shipping December 10th so will be able to A/B Internet vs USB direct  once I pin down appropriate S/W. 

cheers

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
(04-Dec-2015, 18:19)thumb5 Wrote:
(04-Dec-2015, 17:17)boba2013 Wrote: There is no doubt, the controller and chassis exhume a bit higher status...

I think (hope) you mean "exude"... Smile

Hehe, your right thumb5, better back off the wine on the plane. Fingers faster than brain!  Blush
(05-Dec-2015, 01:28)boba2013 Wrote:  
Thanks Borgen for the suggestion. Wow, I do see some nice "Mods" including the IED which is very tempting! I shudder to think of touching my new unit, Manoet and others who have made these mods', hats off to you. 

cheers

Bob

Given the current world situation I'm unsure if I can feel all warm & runny inside about being associated with IED's on any level.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
First impressions of D250

I am sure one needs to provide a brand new amp some time to break in but here is my first impressions of the D250. I have had the 120, then 200, and now 250.

I recognize if I have it right, the 250 is basically a D200 in the D250 chassis. Physically the 250 is a larger block of machined aluminum with my model being the same chrome finish as my D200.

Le Configuration is a familiar standard and I programed the ports quickly using to start, just 3. 2 COAX inputs,(LINN Majik acting in Streamer mode and Arcam D37 SACD player) plus USB. Speakers are set at full and I did not initiate SAM for the attached Harbeth 40.1. Digital COAX and Speaker cables are Siltech Silver/Gold alloy Anniversary. I feed the LINN from a Mac Mini via Ethernet using LINN's Kazoo for library management.

First cut was the opening song on Pink Floyd's Endless River CD, "Things left unsaid" that had me sitting up and saying Whoa! That was nice. I then went to a short but delightful guitar play by Bruce Cockburn called Foxglove off his 1973 album Speechless: The instrumental. Fast, clear with continuing a perception of effortless playback by the Devialet.

Next was Cat Steven's Tea for the Tillerman, (192/24). Checking the D250 db output level vs the D200 seems to be 5-6db lower, -21.5db now vs perhaps -15 with the D200 for these power hungry 86db efficient Harbeths.

Stepping it up a bit, threw on Viva La Vida by Coldplay. It is so easy for vocals to get mashed with the orchestra and drum beats on this album and it does play a little hotter of which I actually turned down the volume a bit. I don't think I have heard this cut played so cleanly with all vocals placed where they should be. Yeah, this is sweet but I question, how much better than the D200?

One of my favorites is David Cray's Babylon of the White Ladder album. It is not a difficult song but I know it very well. I'm there in the studio, rocking to the tune. I hesitate to use the word sweet and I heard that with the D200, with the D250, wider, fuller.

Diana Krall's, the Look of Love comes across like she is on stage in front of me. Speakers have disappeared. Her husky and yet sultry voice, so clean, piano ivory blends so effortless. I sense a little more body, perhaps even a suggestion of a warmer, tube like playback. Prior to getting into Devialet, I was a 300B tube roller, with a MasterSound 25 Watt 300B SE amp. Geesh, was I getting a little of that silky, velvet sound back?

A personal favorite of my twin brother and I is Nils Lofgren, Acoustic Live album. Specifically, Keith Don't Go. The riffs in that song are a good test for any system. The strings reverb like I have never heard before. Fingers slide up and down on the strings, fast transients, echo, add depth to Nils voice. Background is totally silent. Pure music. If you have not heard this song, hunt it down. It is worth it.

I grabbed song after song:

Peter White's, Coast Road Drive off the Confidential album,
Pink Floyd's, Time from Dark Side of the Moon and then, Marooned from The Division Bell album.
Procol Harum, A Whiter Shade of Pale
Rolling Stones, Beggars Banquet, first cut, Sympathy for the Devil, turn it up!!!! Damm, that album came out in 1968! Gimme Shelter came out the following year on the Let it Bleed album. This song has always pissed me off as the vocals should have been miked way better but I am hearing everything, missing nothing.
Off Rock and Roll and over to some more Smooth Jazz, Sade's Your Love is King and Smooth Operator, bass is rock solid, Sax notes clear and a continuation of what I was hearing with the D200, just a little more solid, more body if you will.

I jumped over to Santana's Abraxas album, Oye Como Va and so wanted to turn it up high! -10db, -5db, Wow! I would have loved to go a bit higher but she who must be obeyed stepped in! I believe I could have made the house shake and not get a bit of clipping, blurring, what-ever. This amp rocks.

I have already probably bored most of you and will not go any further but I can attest, I hit another 20 cuts, pick a song here, a song there.

The Devialet D250 meets and exceeds my expectations and does deliver a different experience than the D200. I know the electronics are basically the same but there seems to be a just a bit more relaxed, almost effortless playback, irrespective of volume. There seems a bit more body, transients seem faster, the Harbeths certainly are enjoying the extra Watts for sure.

I am very happy with my decision to go with the D250. I can only imagine what the D800 sounds like.

Cheers

Bob