Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound differences between Devialet 200 and Devialet 250
(05-Dec-2015, 09:04)boba2013 Wrote: First impressions of D250

I am sure one needs to provide a brand new amp some time to break in but here is my first impressions of the D250. I have had the 120, then 200, and now 250.

I recognize if I have it right, the 250 is basically a D200 in the D250 chassis. Physically the 250 is a larger block of machined aluminum with my model being the same chrome finish as my D200.

Le Configuration is a familiar standard and I programed the ports quickly using to start, just 3. 2 COAX inputs,(LINN Majik acting in Streamer mode and Arcam D37 SACD player) plus USB. Speakers are set at full and I did not initiate SAM for the attached Harbeth 40.1. Digital COAX and Speaker cables are Siltech Silver/Gold alloy Anniversary. I feed the LINN from a Mac Mini via Ethernet using LINN's Kazoo for library management.

First cut was the opening song on Pink Floyd's Endless River CD, "Things left unsaid" that had me sitting up and saying Whoa! That was nice. I then went to a short but delightful guitar play by Bruce Cockburn called Foxglove off his 1973 album Speechless: The instrumental. Fast, clear with continuing a perception of effortless playback by the Devialet.

Next was Cat Steven's Tea for the Tillerman, (192/24). Checking the D250 db output level vs the D200 seems to be 5-6db lower, -21.5db now vs perhaps -15 with the D200 for these power hungry 86db efficient Harbeths.

Stepping it up a bit, threw on Viva La Vida by Coldplay. It is so easy for vocals to get mashed with the orchestra and drum beats on this album and it does play a little hotter of which I actually turned down the volume a bit. I don't think I have heard this cut played so cleanly with all vocals placed where they should be. Yeah, this is sweet but I question, how much better than the D200?

One of my favorites is David Cray's Babylon of the White Ladder album. It is not a difficult song but I know it very well. I'm there in the studio, rocking to the tune. I hesitate to use the word sweet and I heard that with the D200, with the D250, wider, fuller.

Diana Krall's, the Look of Love comes across like she is on stage in front of me. Speakers have disappeared. Her husky and yet sultry voice, so clean, piano ivory blends so effortless. I sense a little more body, perhaps even a suggestion of a warmer, tube like playback. Prior to getting into Devialet, I was a 300B tube roller, with a MasterSound 25 Watt 300B SE amp. Geesh, was I getting a little of that silky, velvet sound back?

A personal favorite of my twin brother and I is Nils Lofgren, Acoustic Live album. Specifically, Keith Don't Go. The riffs in that song are a good test for any system. The strings reverb like I have never heard before. Fingers slide up and down on the strings, fast transients, echo, add depth to Nils voice. Background is totally silent. Pure music. If you have not heard this song, hunt it down. It is worth it.

I grabbed song after song:

Peter White's, Coast Road Drive off the Confidential album,
Pink Floyd's, Time from Dark Side of the Moon and then, Marooned from The Division Bell album.
Procol Harum, A Whiter Shade of Pale
Rolling Stones, Beggars Banquet, first cut, Sympathy for the Devil, turn it up!!!! Damm, that album came out in 1968! Gimme Shelter came out the following year on the Let it Bleed album. This song has always pissed me off as the vocals should have been miked way better but I am hearing everything, missing nothing.
Off Rock and Roll and over to some more Smooth Jazz, Sade's Your Love is King and Smooth Operator, bass is rock solid, Sax notes clear and a continuation of what I was hearing with the D200, just a little more solid, more body if you will.

I jumped over to Santana's Abraxas album, Oye Como Va and so wanted to turn it up high! -10db, -5db, Wow! I would have loved to go a bit higher but she who must be obeyed stepped in! I believe I could have made the house shake and not get a bit of clipping, blurring, what-ever. This amp rocks.

I have already probably bored most of you and will not go any further but I can attest, I hit another 20 cuts, pick a song here, a song there.

The Devialet D250 meets and exceeds my expectations and does deliver a different experience than the D200. I know the electronics are basically the same but there seems to be a just a bit more relaxed, almost effortless playback, irrespective of volume. There seems a bit more body, transients seem faster, the Harbeths certainly are enjoying the extra Watts for sure.

I am very happy with my decision to go with the D250. I can only imagine what the D800 sounds like.

Cheers

Bob

Great post and it is a great feeling when a new purchase gives you this excitement. Enjoy!
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Thank you Womaz. Got to update after playing for a 100 hours or so.

I would like to add that the volume control is also night and day step up. Like the D250 is a larger block of polished aluminum than the D200, more beefy, so is the volume control. At least 4 ozs, (guess) heavier, the dial is supposedly sitting on roller bearings, absolutely no friction, almost like it is sitting in a pool of oil. Volume graduations are imperceptible, physically but climb or lower with the slightest guidance. Like the whole kit, first class.

Cheers

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
Stop, stop - too much temptation! Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Great the upgrade paid off, welcome to the 250 club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
Hi Guys!
I'm David and I write from Italy!
I'm new in this forum and I would like to share with you my next system, Devialet 200 (maybe in february arrive other 200) and the new B&W 802D3.
I arrive from B&W 802Diamond and Mcintosh and now a new frontier waiting for me..
David
                                                                                          DD SYSTEM
                  SPEAKERS : Bowers Wilkins 802 D3 ---- ELECTRONIC : Devialet 200 (upgrade to Devialet 400 -2016-)
                            SOURCE : Aries Auralic ----- LOADSPEAKERS CABLES : Straightwire Crescendo 2*2,4mt
                 SOURCE CABLE : Audioquest USB Carbon ----- POWER : Ps Audio AC3 ---- REMOTE CONTROL : Ipad Mini

(05-Dec-2015, 15:40)boba2013 Wrote: Thank you Womaz. Got to update after playing for a 100 hours or so.

I would like to add that the volume control is also night and day step up. Like the D250 is a larger block of polished aluminum than the D200, more beefy, so is the volume control. At least 4 ozs, (guess) heavier, the dial is supposedly sitting on roller bearings, absolutely no friction, almost like it is sitting in a pool of oil. Volume graduations are imperceptible, physically but climb or lower with the slightest guidance. Like the whole kit, first class.

Cheers

Bob

Indeed it's totally new feeling when switching from D200 to D250 remote, and such luxury ain't cheep , around 880€ If you buy it separately
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(10-Dec-2015, 15:10)Hualapai Wrote: Hi Guys!
I'm David and I write from Italy!
I'm new in this forum and I would like to share with you my next system, Devialet 200 (maybe in february arrive other 200) and the new B&W 802D3.
I arrive from B&W 802Diamond and Mcintosh and now a new frontier waiting for me..
David

Hi David
As owner of 802Diamond I would suggest you to go strait for D250, the difference is quite big a specially in high frequency area or as some people here refere it to be the bright area, at list it was for me.
Not long ago I tried D800 and there I felt that for me the upgrade not worth extra 13,000€

Really interested in your input regarding new 802D3, please share your insights when you do the switch.
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
Yesterday arrived the new 802D3 white, this evening I will connect them with Devialet 200
Wink
                                                                                          DD SYSTEM
                  SPEAKERS : Bowers Wilkins 802 D3 ---- ELECTRONIC : Devialet 200 (upgrade to Devialet 400 -2016-)
                            SOURCE : Aries Auralic ----- LOADSPEAKERS CABLES : Straightwire Crescendo 2*2,4mt
                 SOURCE CABLE : Audioquest USB Carbon ----- POWER : Ps Audio AC3 ---- REMOTE CONTROL : Ipad Mini

(17-Dec-2015, 11:41)Hualapai Wrote: Yesterday arrived the new 802D3 white, this evening I will connect them with Devialet 200
Wink

Congrats David

Will be waiting for your report.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

Hi Guys!
I'm very sorry if is not the correct section but i have the problem with D200.
I connected D200 and BW 802D3 and on the right tweeter I hear swish, hum also if I don't listen music.
I tried to change the speakers cable, I tried all but the problem there is always. And I know that the problem are not the speakers.
The confguration is correct, sure.
Someone can help me?
Sad
                                                                                          DD SYSTEM