Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound differences between Devialet 200 and Devialet 250
(27-Nov-2015, 20:03)Borgen Wrote: I have an upgraded D-Premier and have SAM running just fine. I think they may have been confusing the 2 types of upgrades that were available, one being the full upgrade incl DSPs and the other being just the "input upgrade".

I have checked with 2 resellers here in Canada and both have the same sales bulletin from their distributor stating, no SAM but full upgrade. Perhaps, their distributor is confused. I am pushing back at the resellers to clarify with the Distributor. 

Will post clarification once received. Sorry about this.

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
Well, that was an error that almost costed the dealer a deal! The distributor's bulletin seems to have had erroneous information with the statement, no SAM and since there is nothing on the Devialet web site, the dealers could not confirm till the distributor corrected their sale documentation.

The correct information is that SAM is available on the D250, and armed with that information, I confirmed and have wire-transferred the funds for the D250.

Will have next week so then, hope to be able to share my findings on the difference between the D120 to D200 and now, D250.

Thanks to those that helped me make this decision, much appreciated. As a note, the D250 is selling here for $8,900 Canadian, (taxes extra)

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)
Aren't the 200 and 250 boards and power supplies (i.e all internal components) identical?

Cheers

Dave
(03-Dec-2015, 16:37)daved0x01 Wrote: Aren't the 200 and 250 boards and power supplies (i.e all internal components) identical?

Cheers

Dave

Correct - the only differences are chassis and software.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(03-Dec-2015, 18:49)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(03-Dec-2015, 16:37)daved0x01 Wrote: Aren't the 200 and 250 boards and power supplies (i.e all internal components) identical?

Cheers

Dave

Guillaume

Hi GuillaumeB 

Are you saying that one should expect little difference between the D250 and the D200, (recognizing perhaps the only difference is the 12.5% power increase)?

I was under the impression, moving to a D250 was an demonstrable audio upgrade from D200.

My new D250 is waiting at home for my return from my business trip. Is it incorrect to be expecting something different in what I have been enjoying from my D200? Has the upgrade been for naught but another fools search for the audiophile holy grail?

Signed: Confused!
Maybe you should read through the threads of Manoet (see Tweaker's Corner) on rebuilding of the 200 for better temperature control, PEMs and other, and the impact of this on sound quality (subjective, but still). This may give you an idea about the "spectrum of improvements possible" related to chassis, cooling and other.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)

Cheers

Dave

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume, It was rhetorical. Smile
(04-Dec-2015, 04:50)boba2013 Wrote:

Cheers

Dave

Guillaume

Hi GuillaumeB 

Are you saying that one should expect little difference between the D250 and the D200, (recognizing perhaps the only difference is the 12.5% power increase)?

I was under the impression, moving to a D250 was an demonstrable audio upgrade from D200.

My new D250 is waiting at home for my return from my business trip. Is it incorrect to be expecting something different in what I have been enjoying from my D200? Has the upgrade been for naught but another fools search for the audiophile holy grail?

If you have a D250 waiting at home, the simple answer to this one is that you will find out for yourself soon!  It should be remembered that although the electronics are the same, the case is very different and offers superior cooling characteristics.  Because of this, the software controlling the electronics is different.  I doubt you will be disappointed, but you will be able to hear for yourself soon!
(04-Dec-2015, 11:58)Confused Wrote:
(04-Dec-2015, 04:50)boba2013 Wrote:
(03-Dec-2015, 18:49)GuillaumeB Wrote: Correct - the only differences are chassis and software.

Guillaume

Hi GuillaumeB 

If you have a D250 waiting at home, the simple answer to this one is that you will find out for yourself soon!  It should be remembered that although the electronics are the same, the case is very different and offers superior cooling characteristics.  Because of this, the software controlling the electronics is different.  I doubt you will be disappointed, but you will be able to hear for yourself soon!

In my own system I was able to hear very clear differences between the 200 and 250 (at the time 170 and 240) but I think this will be largely speaker dependent. At the time I had the Wilson Sophia 3s. Indeed I have heard of some people not hearing much of a difference when comparing both and settling for the 200. No doubt cost is also a factor, and perhaps future ambitions too since with the 250 you are half way to the mighty 800!

Otherwise it's the same DAC and the electronics are identical.

I would say there is a bigger difference going dual mono.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I think Guillaume's comment that "this is largely speaker dependent" is absolutely right. The 200 with some speakers sounds absolutely terrific, 100% of how a Devialet powered system should sound. I too auditioned what was then the 170/240, but with the KEF Blade. The 240 sounded excellent, the 170 did not. The difference was significant. Going dual mono was another step up, but with the Blades it was the step from the 170 to the 240 that was bay far the most significant. So I think it depends on speaker compatibility. If the 200 is happy driving your particular speakers, then the jump to the 250 may indeed be less than going dual mono. You can't really consider the amp in isolation.