Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo Magazine Devialet 210 Pro Review
Electricity outlets differ depending on country. If mains is grounded polarity is not (should not be) an issue. In my country Norway it was only mandatory to have grounded outlets in the kitchen and bathroom (house-ground used to be connected to the copper water inlet pipe. With no ground one could easily be "electrocuted" by touching a water tap and a badly designed appliance). The living room, where stereo normally resides, mostly had floating mains. With floating mains, polarity matters, even with a switching power supply. Here is a device that helps measure this: https://www.vandenhul.com/product/the-polarity-checker/
Nowadays the water pipe is plastic so house-ground is terminated differently. I don't know current regulations, but I think new houses and flats have grounded outlets everywhere, like UK and US.
The reviewer may be using floating power which is why it makes a difference worth writing about.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(03-Jul-2020, 20:47)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(02-Jul-2020, 19:58)Antoine Wrote: The schuko plug used in many countries in Europe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko) can be inserted into the wall socket in two ways. One way is formally the correct way. Doesn’t matter at all for lights for example but some audio equipment sounds better one way compared to the ‘other way’.

I’ve never tested it myself with my D after reading in a review the right way is how Devialet has implemented it internally. But yes, companies do mess this up, my PS Audio P3 Power Plant (original model) for example has the markings for line and neutral of the outputs reversed.

The ‘right’ way:
[Image: 11.png]

About the "right" way: that picture is the male connector or the female connector?

I can see the potential for confusion here! Smile It’s the female connector at the end of the power cable. One can indeed use a simple polarity checker (every hardware store in my country has one) to check if the live is connected to that ‘side‘.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(04-Jul-2020, 10:55)Antoine Wrote:
(03-Jul-2020, 20:47)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(02-Jul-2020, 19:58)Antoine Wrote: The schuko plug used in many countries in Europe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko) can be inserted into the wall socket in two ways. One way is formally the correct way. Doesn’t matter at all for lights for example but some audio equipment sounds better one way compared to the ‘other way’.

I’ve never tested it myself with my D after reading in a review the right way is how Devialet has implemented it internally. But yes, companies do mess this up, my PS Audio P3 Power Plant (original model) for example has the markings for line and neutral of the outputs reversed.

The ‘right’ way:
[Image: 11.png]

About the "right" way: that picture is the male connector or the female connector?

I can see the potential for confusion here! Smile It’s the female connector at the end of the power cable. One can indeed use a simple polarity checker (every hardware store in my country has one) to check if the live is connected to that ‘side‘.

No, this is the built-in socket in the Devialet! The pole that is closer to the housing. Not the end of the power cord! Wink
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(04-Jul-2020, 15:36)K4680 Wrote:
(03-Jul-2020, 20:47)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: About the "right" way: that picture is the male connector or the female connector?

No, this is the built-in socket in the Devialet!  The pole that is closer to the housing. Not the end of the power cord! Wink
I'm with Special K on this one.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(03-Jul-2020, 20:47)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: About the "right" way: that picture is the male connector or the female connector?

No, this is the built-in socket in the Devialet!  The pole that is closer to the housing. Not the end of the power cord! Wink

This is strange / unusual...
(04-Jul-2020, 23:13)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(04-Jul-2020, 10:55)Antoine Wrote: I can see the potential for confusion here! Smile It’s the female connector at the end of the power cable. One can indeed use a simple polarity checker (every hardware store in my country has one) to check if the live is connected to that ‘side‘.

Some manufacturers mark the phase of their devices ex works! Easier for the user!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Germany / Bavaria
(05-Jul-2020, 07:37)K4680 Wrote:
(04-Jul-2020, 23:13)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(04-Jul-2020, 15:36)K4680 Wrote: No, this is the built-in socket in the Devialet!  The pole that is closer to the housing. Not the end of the power cord! Wink

Some manufacturers mark the phase of their devices ex works! Easier for the user!
They have the phase on the left so now I've changed my mind; I'm with Antoine.  Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(05-Jul-2020, 08:36)Pim Wrote:
(05-Jul-2020, 07:37)K4680 Wrote:
(04-Jul-2020, 23:13)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: This is strange / unusual...

They have the phase on the left so now I've changed my mind; I'm with Antoine.  Tongue
Hi Pim, and now? Wink

After asking the magazine, the picture with the marking refers to the socket on the device !!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Germany / Bavaria
That’s weird..so Devialet messed this up -if- the magazine is right. I do remember from an earlier review (years back) and before the release of the Pro playform it was the other way around.

If it’s really Devialet not following the formal standards and it sounding suboptimally, every owner that can’t even choose the plug orientation is not getting the best out of his/her device.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Ah, no. Note that the Diablo socket is upside down verses the Devialet implementation, so effectively they are identical.

Devialet might be a little annoying sometimes, but they have at least got the mains socket right.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12