Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Unsatisfied people's thread
To add another gripe to the list, (all?) the Phantom’s major competitors are time-coincident. Despite seemingly being tailor-made for this between its design and Devialet’s expertise, how likely do you think it is we’ll ever see this quality in the Phantom?
What do you mean by "time-coincident"?
I think he means the drivers on board aren't time or phase aligned.
(09-Sep-2018, 20:32)booshtukka Wrote: What do you mean by "time-coincident"?

Driver impulses arrive at the listening position concurrently.

I’ve attached the step responses for the Kii Three, Dynaudio 200 XD and B&W 800D here, the first two of which are time-coincident.

Oh, that's new to me. Could you tell in a blind listening test?
I think you can.
Lets start from the bottom and work up.... First has to be the shocking Spark App it is the worst music/Control app i have ever used.
Then volume levels Wifi vs Bluetooth just don't match up and Bluetooth looks like it has about a 65% max volume lock too.
The phantom is a great bit of kit but future support looks bleak!!
(10-Sep-2018, 18:07)booshtukka Wrote: Oh, that's new to me. Could you tell in a blind listening test?

That difference would be quite easy to hear in a blind test. Say with the Kii in it's Exact setting vs the Minimum setting.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
@antilles in “Direct Optical Mode” I believe you have the option to select which channel to use - i.e. L or R (or 'mix' which would be mono) You still need to use one optical cable for each Phantom but the L/R problem is dealt with. You still have to find a way to connect both speakers to the (usually) single optical output of devices. It may work with one of the optical splitters one can find on Amazon, but the best would be one output for each connection. This is rare though. Even my Mutec MC-3 +USB has only one optical output.
Your thoughts on finances are interesting and quite disturbing...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(10-Sep-2018, 17:54)antilles Wrote:
(09-Sep-2018, 20:32)booshtukka Wrote: What do you mean by "time-coincident"?

Driver impulses arrive at the listening position concurrently.

I’ve attached the step responses for the Kii Three, Dynaudio 200 XD and B&W 800D, two of which are time-coincident.

Nice images? Can you walk us through? Which graph has been taken from what speaker? What or why is the x-axis so different, where is 0? Step function sent to input at 0? How was the SR recorded, mic at what distance? Or laser measurement of driver excursion?