Poll: What is the one 'must have' feature that you would like the streamer board to feature?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Roon RAAT compatible
43.80%
60 43.80%
UPnP
5.11%
7 5.11%
HQPlayer compatibility
0.73%
1 0.73%
Spotify connect
2.19%
3 2.19%
Apple compatibility, iTunes / Airplay
2.92%
4 2.92%
Self-hosted configuration mechanism to allow changes to the Devialet's configuration on the fly
5.84%
8 5.84%
Support for SPARK, to include Phantom compatibility via PLC
2.19%
3 2.19%
A fully self contained streaming system, i.e. no need for a computer, just add NAS or USB memory with music.
19.71%
27 19.71%
I would accept any kind of functionality if sound quality is clearly superior to AIR
10.22%
14 10.22%
Virtual soundcard, much like AIR but with superior sound quality and stability
7.30%
10 7.30%
Total 137 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Streamer Board - What is the 'must have' feature
(23-Jan-2017, 11:28)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(22-Jan-2017, 17:20)G51 Wrote:
(22-Jan-2017, 16:45)Confused Wrote: Your post made me realise that I'd missed DLNA from the options list!  Oh well, I guess this is not the end of the world because as you mention UPnP/DLNA are protocols that Devialet have already advised are supported.

I would suggest that my UPnP option is simply extended to be UPnP/DLNA.  Ironically sometimes I use DLNA myself, via JRiver and the microRendu, so I should have known better!

As to the 'more brain power' that Devialet refer to, this could of course mean many things.  As an example I am sure that a few folk would like the addition of room correction, but who knows what Devialet might have in mind.

As for your thought that a $1800 product should have decent capability and sound quality, I think you might have a point.  Time will tell, but I am actually quite optimistic that the sound quality will be excellent.  There are a few reasons for this.  One thing I know is that a large proportion of the cost of many hifi components is actually taken by the design and production of the case.  In the case of the Devialet streamer, this cost is zero, so the entire cost should refer to R&D and the actual electronics.  (assuming the figure was not simply made up by the marketing team).  The other reason I am optimistic relate to past conversations that I have has with Devialet's chief design engineer Mathieu Pernod.  I think I have met him three times now, and on each occasion it has been clear to me that his primary interest is sound quality.  Oddly enough, he has never appeared that keen on things like Roon & MQA, that is locking Devialet into anything that requires licensing, subscriptions from customers and similar.  But he does appear to be very driven with respect to things that matter to sound quality.  We will find out in due course, but there is reason to be optimistic I think. Shy   (Unless your primary interest is Roon & MQA) Angry

Glad to know that Mr. Mathieu Pernod is most concerned in SQ. More functions are bonus but SQ is the king IMHO.

Erm... I hate to disappoint folks!

Mathieu Pernod told me in no uncertain terms that there was NO WAY a fancy streamer could make any difference to the SQ of the Devialet. Admittedly this was a couple of years ago but it is clear that he doesn't believe that reclocking etc will have any effect. After all he has been quite happy conducting demos using a MacBook connected via USB. 

Guillaume

Guillaume - I recall that you posted that Devialet were planning (or at least 'hinting' at planning) something 'quite ambitious' for the OS board.  So I'm guessing you think this hint was aimed more at functionality rather than sound quality? 

Plus, if they hit the Q2 promise, we only have 5 more months of speculation to go! Sad   Oh the joy!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I'm afraid that their 'quite ambitious' implementation will fail to impress for example, the average Roon user. We're spoiled and demanding brats. Smile

OK, enough negativity from me now. I hope I'm proven wrong of course. Time will tell but I in no way am dependant on what Devialet will produce so can't also be "victimized" by or "held hostage" inside their eco system. Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(23-Jan-2017, 14:04)Confused Wrote:
(23-Jan-2017, 11:28)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(22-Jan-2017, 17:20)G51 Wrote: Glad to know that Mr. Mathieu Pernod is most concerned in SQ. More functions are bonus but SQ is the king IMHO.

Erm... I hate to disappoint folks!

Mathieu Pernod told me in no uncertain terms that there was NO WAY a fancy streamer could make any difference to the SQ of the Devialet. Admittedly this was a couple of years ago but it is clear that he doesn't believe that reclocking etc will have any effect. After all he has been quite happy conducting demos using a MacBook connected via USB. 

Guillaume

Guillaume - I recall that you posted that Devialet were planning (or at least 'hinting' at planning) something 'quite ambitious' for the OS board.  So I'm guessing you think this hint was aimed more at functionality rather than sound quality? 

Plus, if they hit the Q2 promise, we only have 5 more months of speculation to go! Sad   Oh the joy!

That is my guess. Anyway it's all conjecture at this point. I don't have any new info, other than what Mathieu told me via email a few months ago.

I'm actually thinking more like Q3, but I hope it's earlier.

Once again I don't think Roon is going to feature, rather we will see the first steps of the Expert PROs becoming real streamers (as opposed to network attached DAC/amplifiers). Based on what they have publicly announced the first stop would appear to be UPnP/DLNA.

For the Expert PRO to become a real streamer it will require a control point of some description. This is where I think we will see Spark coming into the game.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(23-Jan-2017, 14:14)Antoine Wrote: I'm afraid that their 'quite ambitious' implementation will fail to impress for example, the average Roon user. We're spoiled and demanding brats. Smile

Of course in Devialet terms, 'ambitious' could simply mean doing a round of internal beta testing.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Surely if it's worth £1300 then it must be pretty damn special considering what else is on offer for much less, otherwise Devialet run the risk of looking very silly
Mac mini -> Roon ->Devialet expert pro 1000 via Roon Air Ethernet, Chord Signature Digital Tuned Array, Clearaudio Champion Level 2, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Focal Sopra 2, Transparent Musicwave super speaker cables.
Well..."worth" has a very different meaning depending on who's saying it. As has already been pointed out, it's only Devialet's marketing department that has said it's worth €1800, and it's anyone's guess how they arrived at that figure.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(23-Jan-2017, 18:10)thumb5 Wrote: Well..."worth" has a very different meaning depending on who's saying it.  As has already been pointed out, it's only Devialet's marketing department that has said it's worth €1800, and it's anyone's guess how they arrived at that figure.

Totally agree but why risk ridicule not just from users but from competitors, potentially brand damaging if they fail to deliver, however I'm already prepared to be disappointed which says it all
Mac mini -> Roon ->Devialet expert pro 1000 via Roon Air Ethernet, Chord Signature Digital Tuned Array, Clearaudio Champion Level 2, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Focal Sopra 2, Transparent Musicwave super speaker cables.
Me too. At least we can then be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be genuinely good.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I didn't vote as my #1 wish was not on the list : convolution with FIR filters for speaker/room correction.
This would be handy to have it for ALL inputs TV+Phono etc... instead of only on Ethernet today from the Roon Intel NUC
 Roon Air / convolution HAF / Devialet Expert D200/ DIY power and speakers cable / DIY Speakers Atohm EURUS 1.0 + DIY active SW 
As one of the few who listen to mainly classical music and annoyed by re-tagging time wasting, the only thing of (faint) interest to me is the possibility of integrating my Phantoms as rear channel of a surround sound system with my O d'A driving the fronts.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire