Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Devialet or not to Devialet
Hi
My first post on here. Looking at the possible purchase of a 120......maybe a 200 but probably stretching my finances a little.
Just looking for some guidance. I currently have the MFM6i amp and PMC 23 speakers, and i love the bass and punchy sound that gives me. I will have to demo the Devialet, but as I am up in Newcastle UK that is easier said than done. its quite a travel. Also added complication that I would like to hear it with the 23s. Just been chatting to one dealer who stocks the Devialet, and he has said I would need a high quality USB cable, about £600. Really?

Any guidance much appreciated.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(25-Feb-2015, 14:23)Womaz Wrote: Hi
My first post on here. Looking at the possible purchase of a 120......maybe a 200 but probably stretching my finances a little.
Just looking for some guidance. I currently have the MFM6i amp and PMC 23 speakers, and i love the bass and punchy sound that gives me. I will have to demo the Devialet, but as I am up in Newcastle UK that is easier said than done. its quite a travel. Also added complication that I would like to hear it with the 23s. Just been chatting to one dealer who stocks the Devialet, and he has said I would need a high quality USB cable, about £600. Really?

Any guidance much appreciated.

You 'need' to look at another dealer. To tell you that you 'need' a 600 pound USB cable to get good sound out of a Devialet is stupid. You probably spoke with the trainee sales person who had just been told that the mark up on cables is ten fold what it is on electronics.

As for 120 or 200. Since you're used to 200W into 8 Ohm and like the punchy sound, I think you probably want to aim for a 200. 

Let us know how you're going.

Cheers,

Pim
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Womaz, welcome to the forum!

Pim is right: it's utter nonsense to suggest you need a £600 USB cable.

In general, my feeling is that the 200 is the sweet spot in the Devialet range. It has a bigger D-amp engine than the 120, a higher-spec DAC chip and more connectivity.

Matt (aka Matt49)

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Thats great, exactly the type of guidance I am looking for. One of the things i am a little nervous about is losing the power that my MF amp has. If it is the 200, I think they are about 6k??...so would have to wait about 3 more months to raise that, although there is interest free credit.
Thank you
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Thanks Matt, you are the reason I am here. Is that around 6k? I think i need to hear it first before I decide on Devialet.
(25-Feb-2015, 14:50)Womaz Wrote: Thats great, exactly the type of guidance I am looking for. One of the things i am a little nervous about is losing the power that my MF amp has. If it is the 200, I think they are about 6k??...so would have to wait about 3 more months to raise that, although there is interest free credit.
Thank you

Hi and welcome,

The other advantage with the 200 is that it can always be upgraded to the 400 at a later date (if the extra power and connectivity is needed!)

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Hi. I dont think the connectivity will be an issue. I only use my hifi for my Network player, a bit of internet radio and I will probably subscribe to one of the streaming services in the future.
The Power is interesting though. This will be a one off purchase i would think as that is what appeals about Devialet, the upgrades etc. If when I demo I miss the power of the M6, I would not change. Useful post though, thank you.
Hi Womaz and welcome to Devialet Chat!  Smile

I hope you don't mind I've just moved your thread to a different sub-forum. Incidentally the £600 USB thing is nonsense, you can get a really good one for £55! But a cheap printer cable USB will probably do the job too.  Wink

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Excellent thank you for moving this, but will that stop me getting email notifications about any replies?
I m 6days old to D120. Welcome from a new member and good luck. Wonderful speakers - PMC 23. These are easier to drive than some of the current hungry ones... I was actually shopping for PMC 23 + On one side (looking for MF, Bryston, NAIM SuperUniti, Lyric-09) other Devialet 120.
However I got 50% deal on KEF 203/2 as the dealer was over due to upgrade to new References, s i went for it. It did not take much time to converge to Devialet. No audition ( there is one dealer in entire country, India) but read quite great deal from Stereophile to all others ... and good collection of reviews under review section of this Forum.

Finaly : D120 + KEF 203/2 - I m quite happy with it. I dont intend to upgrade in future. going through Run-in of my speakers, there is no SAM (thats the only grouse i might have)

/Jnan
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"