Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling
(18-Sep-2014, 18:39)Rufus McDufus Wrote: But wouldn't having UPnP in addition to AIR give you more freedom? Wink

Only if it's both, and if one chooses to use UPnP they would be stuck with whatever player Devialet creates for the amps.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(18-Sep-2014, 19:34)Antoine Wrote: [...] And in a way I was later also forced to upgrade it to 240/250 specs if I wanted to benefit from all future upgrades. But on the other hand if they wouldn't have made the upgrade option available I would have been much more upset. Then after the introduction of the 110/170/240, only the 240 would allow daisy-chaining. Not anymore, this became possible for the 200 model as well. The 110 didn't have an option for a sub-/pre-out but that today is also an option. Great for the people that receive/can have the options, not so much for the people that bought the more expensive model because they specifically needed/wanted those options and paid a lot for it. [...]

I see your point. If Devialet trades on the upgradability of the EVO platform, then surely upgrades should be available to everyone who owns a Devialet. You shouldn't have to upgrade your hardware (at considerable expense) to benefit from upgraded soft- or firmware.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(18-Sep-2014, 19:56)Eddye Wrote:
(18-Sep-2014, 18:39)Rufus McDufus Wrote: But wouldn't having UPnP in addition to AIR give you more freedom? Wink

Only if it's both, and if one chooses to use UPnP they would be stuck with whatever player Devialet creates for the amps.

There's plenty of free and robust UPnP/DLNA control points and servers. All I ask is for renderer support in the Devialet. It's not hugely complicated. It doesn't even have to be UPnP, other client/server protocols are available.
(18-Sep-2014, 20:03)Rufus McDufus Wrote:

There's plenty of free and robust UPnP/DLNA control points and servers. All I ask is for renderer support in the Devialet. It's not hugely complicated. It doesn't even have to be UPnP, other client/server protocols are available.
Player/renderer, whatever you want to call it. If it's going to be implemented in the amp, that's what you have to use.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(18-Sep-2014, 09:46)Gurux Wrote: I see half of this forum talking, on and on and on, about the same banana: streaming and streaming alternatives to the fairly average Air. I see all sorts of recommendations, 5000£ streamers, AES cables costing in the range of 3000£.
I have a slightly different take on this, I have not read or heard of anything that offers a significant improvement on AIR, except for the 5000 Euro Totaldac D1. I think it shows how good AIR is if it takes five grands worth of kit to make a significant improvement.
(18-Sep-2014, 20:08)Eddye Wrote:
(18-Sep-2014, 20:03)Rufus McDufus Wrote:

Player/renderer, whatever you want to call it. If it's going to be implemented in the amp, that's what you have to use.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. They're almost certainly not going to implement UPnP to the exclusion of AIR.
@Gurux - On a more positive note, if you really are unhappy with the Devialet, and can find something you prefer for the money, then the near future may offer a reasonable time to sell. The 15% off slaves offer has now ended, and there are probably a few people around with D250's who might fancy the upgrade to a D800. (Possibly a few, who in part, may want this so as to feel less annoyed by the existence of the D400)
New to Devialet and I haven't tried AIR or connected the 200 to my local network, but I sure wish the remote had a display on it.
(18-Sep-2014, 22:26)mauidan Wrote: New to Devialet and I haven't tried AIR or connected the 200 to my local network, but I sure wish the remote had a display on it.

I have to agree with this, and many others have said the same. I'm waiting for my new 'phone to arrive, and was thinking of gluing my old iPhone to the Dev's remote as a display, I'm not sure this is going to look too stylish though.

Plus, good luck with your first try of AIR, I suspect you might be very impressed (I think a lot of what's written on this forum masks the fact that AIR is quite superb) Enjoy!
I assume that a lot of the people who are happy with their computers have simply never tried a NAS / UPnP streamer setup.

As for the ones who prefer JRiver to n-Stream or Kinsky, I confess that I am puzzled. How can this ongoing beta (on my iMac) full of bugs, crashing constantly and to my ears sounding worse than iTunes be compared to rock solid solutions like Kinsky or n-Stream? I might have an above average set-up with a managed Cisco switch doing the hard work or delivering the bits from my NAS (good cabling, link aggregation, jumbo frames etc) but I have never experienced as much as a glitch or a hiccup with any of the two platforms. Yes, I had to restart my NDS (but funny enough never my NDX) once. But jRiver is giving me headaches every time I try to use it. And converting my hundreds of FLAC albums to an iTunes friendly format is simply not acceptable.

As for HDMI I agree, it is another regrettable omission although I will concede that the home cinema business is going to see significant hardware / software changes in the near future (HDMI 2.0, 4K, Atmos etc) so not sure how future proof it would have been.