Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turntable disappointment, what did I do wrong?
Dear all,

Thanks so much for your help.
I will follow @eladeb’s recommendation to use a rca/optical converter. 
The only thing I could not test hardware wise is the optical output of the preamp. 
So if it sounds bad using an analog to digital converter connected to the RCA output of the preamp, it will reveal that the defect comes from the toslink output.

Between Xmas, weekend, and COVID lockdown I won’t be able to purchase anything before next week. 

I will keep you posted!
Another test would be to connect USB to your PC/MAC and use VinylStudio to record a track or two. If this sounds good the Rega/Pro-Ject/AD is working properly, but the Toslink output is malfunctioning somehow. It can of course be the optical input of the Phantom. Try the other Phantom...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hey

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you. I know how annoying these things are when you can’t access stuff to try solutions.

The only thing I can suggest:

1. I had a weird noise / issue when I had the rca cables that linked from the turntable to the preamp/converter box the wrong way around. With the cables that came with the pro-ject debut carbon evo table there was a small yellow tab on the cable wire before the head. This wasn’t on the other end. I saw a you tube video that said to make sure this end connected to the pre-amp not the table:

https://youtu.be/NNVoKMUp3b4

See 2:30 in.

This solved that issue for me.

2. The only difference I can see from my set up to yours is I have this box: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product...x-e-phono/

But not sure that makes much difference

Sorry it hasn’t worked for you and hope you get it solved !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(26-Dec-2020, 11:25)ogs Wrote: Another test would be to connect USB to your PC/MAC and use VinylStudio to record a track or two. If this sounds good the Rega/Pro-Ject/AD is working properly, but the Toslink output is malfunctioning somehow. It can of course be the optical input of the Phantom. Try the other Phantom...

Thx! I will try this, don’t know why I did not think of this! Angel
(26-Dec-2020, 11:46)tsmithpam Wrote: Hey

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you. I know how annoying these things are when you can’t access stuff to try solutions.

The only thing I can suggest:

1. I had a weird noise / issue when I had the rca cables that linked from the turntable to the preamp/converter box the wrong way around. With the cables that came with the pro-ject debut carbon evo table there was a small yellow tab on the cable wire before the head. This wasn’t on the other end. I saw a you tube video that said to make sure this end connected to the pre-amp not the table:

https://youtu.be/NNVoKMUp3b4

See 2:30 in.

This solved that issue for me.

2. The only difference I can see from my set up to yours is I have this box: https://www.project-audio.com/en/product...x-e-phono/

But not sure that makes much difference

Sorry it hasn’t worked for you and hope you get it solved !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx! In my case the output of the Rega turntable is a rca cable directly, I could not go wrong :-) will keep you posted
If its muffled you have a severe impedance mismatch

What are the specifications of the converter and does it provide the correct RIAA curve?

Its also possible that the converter may be incorrectly configured, or faulty.

What about using a phono pre-amp between the TT and the converter? Then you can be sure of accurate conversion
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
You've not got the phono box set up for an MC cart instead of MM have you?
I'd start over with the phono box setup - sounds like something is amiss with the config.
440 Pro CI, Roon ROCK, Technics 1200G, Celestion Ditton 66
(27-Dec-2020, 07:31)chrisc Wrote: If its muffled you have a severe impedance mismatch

What are the specifications of the converter and does it provide the correct RIAA curve?

Its also possible that the converter may be incorrectly configured, or faulty.

What about using a phono pre-amp between the TT and the converter?  Then you can be sure of accurate conversion

Hi @chrisc thx for the reply. The preamp is the converter, it’s a preamp with a digital output, and the only thing I can configure is the pre-amp settings.
(27-Dec-2020, 11:06)pjlarge Wrote: You've not got the phono box set up for an MC cart instead of MM have you?
I'd start over with the phono box setup - sounds like something is amiss with the config.

Hi @pjlarge, thx for your reply 
went over this several times and I potentially have tried all possibilities I’m afraid. 
I am starting to be convinced that the issue is coming from the optical output. I will know tomorrow if using the analog output via a preamp and then a digital converter... we’ll see!
Try connecting headphones so you’ll see where the issue is.