Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turntable disappointment, what did I do wrong?
Hey
Lots of good helpful suggestions here, hopefully some thing will work out for you.

A bit of time off at Christmas has had me listening to loads of vinyl again, which is great but I had forgotten the world of vinyl cleaning!! What a rabbit hole that is! Hope you get connected soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dear all, 
Thanks again for all the input ;-)

Here’s the update...

I managed to buy second hand an old Sonos connect, which has an analog to digital converter, a RCA in and toslink out. So I did connect the phono to the Pro-ject Phono box DS2 USB, then used the analog output to connect it to the Sonos connect, then toslink out to the phantom. 

It works like a charm. So the preamp works, but either the optical output hardware or the A to C converter is malfunctioning. I tried to use the USB out to record a vinyl, and the sound is also muffled, but I must say it was my first time doing that and I do not trust my skills at handling Audacity... Confused

Anyways, contacted the after-sales, they concluded to a defect, I am waiting for a replacement and will let you know how it goes.

I really appreciate the support!

R.
Np glad you sort it out.
If you'll get refunded go without hesitation on the puffin digital.

It will fire your turnable to space
(29-Dec-2020, 09:31)Rma Wrote: and I do not trust my skills at handling Audacity...

I thought VinylStudio or a 'Lite' version of it came with the DS2 USB? The manual for the unit talks about VinylStudio settings...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(31-Dec-2020, 18:59)eladeb Wrote: Np glad you sort it out.

Hi
I’ve been reading about the puffin and saw lots of great reviews. I’m guessing you also agree? Do you have the toslink connection? Also, is it only available in the US?
Thanks

@tsmithpam
Hi,
I bought the puffin 6month ago.
Dont have the toslink connect coaxial cable only to simpe coaxial to optical connector.

Ordered the puffin from amazon.com im not in the us so it was convenient included tax and import fees.
10 days the puffin arrived at my door.
https://www.amazon.com/Puffin-preamp-Par...pre&sr=8-4

Ordered the "basic"no coaxial asked a friend to connect the coaxial by soldering 2 simple connection's.there a menual how to do it in puffin site.

The puffin is LOADED with options.
Music 
I am interested in the Unison Research uPhone+

https://www.technologyfactory.eu/data/me...iworld.pdf
Devialet Dione

Rotterdam, NL
(02-Jan-2021, 00:01)tsmithpam Wrote:
(31-Dec-2020, 18:59)eladeb Wrote: Np glad you sort it out.

Hi
I’ve been reading about the puffin and saw lots of great reviews. I’m guessing you also agree? Do you have the toslink connection? Also, is it only available in the US?
Thanks

I can't speak for eladeb, but I'm really satisfied with the Puffin. It sounds great and it's very versatile, and it betters my old RIAA, the ASR Mini Basis Mk2. I did the coax modification and use a coax to toslink converter when playing on the Phantoms. Parks Audio ships internationally, so availability should be OK.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Hey
Thanks for reply. I’m seriously considering it after getting back into my vinyl again and like the sound of the options the puffin brings. Is the ‘magic’ setting good for helping surface noise?

(02-Jan-2021, 18:12)tsmithpam Wrote: Hey
Thanks for reply. I’m seriously considering it after getting back into my vinyl again and like the sound of the options the puffin brings. Is the ‘magic’ setting good for helping surface noise?

The magic setting works very well, but with heavily scratched or dirty records you'll still hear clicks and pops.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage