Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turntable disappointment, what did I do wrong?
(02-Jan-2021, 20:19)ragwo Wrote:
(02-Jan-2021, 18:12)tsmithpam Wrote: Hey
Thanks for reply. I’m seriously considering it after getting back into my vinyl again and like the sound of the options the puffin brings. Is the ‘magic’ setting good for helping surface noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The magic setting works very well, but with heavily scratched or dirty records you'll still hear clicks and pops.

Thanks @ragwo
That’s good to know. I can cope with the odd click or pops but some have bad crackle that I can’t get over which I’d hope to reduce. Maybe this would help

@tsmithpam
I bought the puffin followed @ragwo suggestion.
And im very pleased!with the sound too.
Regards old records you have the " grade" option to test the quality of the record.
So if you'll get an f on some just buy new ones instead.
(02-Jan-2021, 13:40)sven911 Wrote: I am interested in the Unison Research uPhone+

https://www.technologyfactory.eu/data/me...iworld.pdf

This is indeed quite an interesting product.  As it can output 24 bit digital (via S/PDIF or USB), you could use it to feed the Devialet digitally.  From a technical perspective, this might offer an advantage over other external phono stages, simply because Devialets measure better via the digital inputs in comparison to the the analogue inputs.

I am not that familiar with Hi-Fi World reviews, but it does seem to me that the reviewer is somwhat resreved with his comments re sound quality?

(EDIT: Plus, if anyone is interested in this item, it might be worth it's own thread?)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I've been a happy owner of a pair of Gold for a few months now, I was reading this thread with a lot of interest since I was also starting to put my head into turntables and LPs.
Maybe dumb question: once you go through the ADC converter and you have the chance to record the output, is this suppose to sound any different from the LP played and converted in real time? 
No intention to hijack the post to a different topic.

BR
Paolo
(03-Jan-2021, 18:09)pceo1980 Wrote: I've been a happy owner of a pair of Gold for a few months now, I was reading this thread with a lot of interest since I was also starting to put my head into turntables and LPs.
Maybe dumb question: once you go through the ADC converter and you have the chance to record the output, is this suppose to sound any different from the LP played and converted in real time? 
No intention to hijack the post to a different topic.

BR
Paolo

No, it should sound exactly the same.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(02-Jan-2021, 22:16)eladeb Wrote: @tsmithpam
I bought the puffin followed @ragwo suggestion.
And im very pleased!with the sound too.
Regards old records you have the " grade" option to test the quality of the record.
So if you'll get an f on some just buy new ones instead.

I’ve pulled the trigger on the puffin order!
Will let you know how it goes when it arrives.

Dear all,

Happy new year :-)  

I received the Pro-Ject Phono Box DS2 USB replacement.
Same problem... so it was not a defect. The thing sounds muffled, and I need to push the devialet volume up to 70 to hear something. But connected from RCA to the old sonos connect it works well.

There must be something I am missing, but I am giving up on this thing.

I will investigate the puffin digital as suggested... but I am also wondering if I should upgrade...

Has anybody heard something about the M2Tech Joplin connected to Phantom?
Is it worth the upgrade? 

I’d like to find a great solution before I start considering a $8.000 McIntosh (which I won’t).
(05-Jan-2021, 09:28)Rma Wrote: Same problem... so it was not a defect. The thing sounds muffled, and I need to push the devialet volume up to 70 to hear something. But connected from RCA to the old sonos connect it works well.

That is very strange indeed! Does USB recording on the new device also sound muffled?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(05-Jan-2021, 13:54)ogs Wrote:
(05-Jan-2021, 09:28)Rma Wrote: Same problem... so it was not a defect. The thing sounds muffled, and I need to push the devialet volume up to 70 to hear something. But connected from RCA to the old sonos connect it works well.

That is very strange indeed! Does USB recording on the new device also sound muffled?

It does, yes. I suppose that with a bit of work I could improve the recordings, but I’m a annoyed to know that I paid a preamp with an A2C converter that delivers way less than a second hand 6 years old Sonos Connect...
@Rma
Your absolutely right.
You dont have to work so hard to achieve high quality sound.
In the mid range of 500-600$ market there's a handful of product that can be suitable for your needs.
If you can return the product maybe it's a good idea.

Regards the sonos,
I heard a lot of good reviews about the embedded ADC.