Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPDATE IS FINALLY HERE!
(08-Feb-2016, 18:49)frenkb Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 13:44)sekriT Wrote: Johhnydev, there is nothing wrong with my setup because Dialog still does not offer streaming music from DLNA servers (NAS). Apparently you don't get it, so let me explain it to you.  Dialog is located next to my server and both are connected to home network. Server is running JRiver Media Center (DLNA server) and has 90k titles, all FLAC and DSD. Since Dialog cannot stream music directly from Jriver over the network, I have to have an external USB DAC which outputs in optical TOSlink to Dialog.  Streaming via USB cable introduces some noise and impurity. So I had to buy a USB filter (USB regen), a high quality USB cable and special power cable for DAC. All of this amounts to >$1000 and still would not be as pure music as if Dialog was streaming directly from JRiver using DLNA. The less interface the better! DLNA technology has been around for decades and it is quite simple protocol to use. It would not take a month for an average programmer to write code for streaming from DLNA server.  It's been more than a year since it was announced. Do you have the slightest idea what I am talking about now?  Highland98 is absolutely correct in his comments above.

I don't get why you're so upset over this. Devialet never indicated their products supports it, just that it's written in a white paper. You buy a product for their current performance and possibilities, not for possible future features I hope. Nothing wrong with Devialet, except that they are slow with new features. But that's a bonus and not standard functionality not working. You have received what you paid for, nothing more and nothing less. 

If streaming over DLNA is so important, why buy a setup that doesn't support it (yet)?

I think, in a way, you've missed what's it really all about ! What is the value of a white paper if you can put anything in it and on the way just leave it as a statement (which you can say after so much time). Managing expectations is a keyword here.

Yes, I'm also waiting for a in-place DLNA option of Spark to have one point of control for my well organized libraries. No need for extended streaming companies. Simple internet radio functions will also do (where did I read that in Devialet publications ?) These functions would accommodate so many users that were (and are) willing to buy the sound quality of the Phantoms.

And no, I was'nt stupid to just rely on commercial statements only, I checked the real functional possibilities before I bought my Dialog and Phantoms. At more than one dealer I tested a working way around (like most of the DLNA people have found, I guess) and I had serious discussions with these dealers.

But it all comes back to the question...what is the value of such a white paper (the one Devialet likes to refer at); the rest, indeed a lot of frustration of misleading information/misinterpretation...
(08-Feb-2016, 18:49)frenkb Wrote:
(07-Feb-2016, 13:44)sekriT Wrote: Johhnydev, there is nothing wrong with my setup because Dialog still does not offer streaming music from DLNA servers (NAS). Apparently you don't get it, so let me explain it to you.  Dialog is located next to my server and both are connected to home network. Server is running JRiver Media Center (DLNA server) and has 90k titles, all FLAC and DSD. Since Dialog cannot stream music directly from Jriver over the network, I have to have an external USB DAC which outputs in optical TOSlink to Dialog.  Streaming via USB cable introduces some noise and impurity. So I had to buy a USB filter (USB regen), a high quality USB cable and special power cable for DAC. All of this amounts to >$1000 and still would not be as pure music as if Dialog was streaming directly from JRiver using DLNA. The less interface the better! DLNA technology has been around for decades and it is quite simple protocol to use. It would not take a month for an average programmer to write code for streaming from DLNA server.  It's been more than a year since it was announced. Do you have the slightest idea what I am talking about now?  Highland98 is absolutely correct in his comments above.

I don't get why you're so upset over this. Devialet never indicated their products supports it, just that it's written in a white paper. You buy a product for their current performance and possibilities, not for possible future features I hope. Nothing wrong with Devialet, except that they are slow with new features. But that's a bonus and not standard functionality not working. You have received what you paid for, nothing more and nothing less. 

If streaming over DLNA is so important, why buy a setup that doesn't support it (yet)?

I bought Phantoms because I knew that I can work the dialog and phantoms using third party hardware and software (see my sign)  until they mature the dialog firmware. However using multiple interfaces to stream music from the source to Phantoms is not satisfactory for a purist. You need to deal with all sorts of artifacts and loss of quality. I know dialog has a powerful quad-core CPU and more, therefore can read from music servers using DLNA protocol, then stream it to phantoms without sacrificing bits.  We must ask the company to focus on making Phantom a real audiophile product, not a system used for listening to online streaming music.
Remote >> 2x Silver Phantoms << Eth << Dialog UPNP << JRiver MediaCenter 24 - Ubuntu 18.04 x64 [VMWare] << File server - Windows 10 x64 [Supermicro X11SSH-LN4F, Xeon E3-1425 v5, 46 Tb, 16Gb DDR4 ECC]    * Spark is only used to update firmware *
No, not native support yet, but some might be interested in this audio device. DNLA and Roon compatible, just reviewed by DAR.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...-and-more/

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)