Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB Regen from UpTone
Just by reading the above post, I am glad that I have more or less dropped the idea of continuing to explore the USB connection route. Mind you, I had been there before: using a USB chain containing a iFi iUSBpower, a dual-headed USB cable that separates the power and data signal/tranfer, and then finally using iPurifier to clean up further prior to Le200. And lately, I have even installed an USB Regenerator, similar to AQ Jitterbug but a bit more. And there are non-stop new USB improvements being launched all the time which makes one start thinking if the new gadgets can further improve the SQ or not. Yes, AIR may not work for some, if not most, of you, but if one spend a bit of time to tidy up and rearranging your devices for 'best' and/or 'most reliable' AIR connection, it is worth the effort (in my opinion) and would spend a lot less on all the new USB gadgets/improvisations.

Now, I have totally removed the USB chain from my setup. Would I give USB a try sometime in the future? Maybe, if AIR doesn't work again. For now, I just want to spend time listening to music rather than keep tweaking my system.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I've got my Regen last week and I love it. It makes a huge improvement in my Devialet main system (silent Win10 PC with jplay and some other tweaks) and also in my headphone system (Sennheiser HD800/HDVD800 and Intel NUC).
AIR was working ok for me, but since firmware 8.x USB sounds better. Now with all the tweaking and the Regen it is much better than AIR. Indeed it is the best source that I ever had.
I broke my minimalist vow to stop adding electronic boxes to my system when I was seduced by the positive comments about the Uptone Regen at the Computer Audiophile site. I liked the result very well indeed. Many on the CA site claimed additional improvement with a linear power supply for the Regen, so I ordered and awaited delivery of the inexpensive Chinese device CA posters suggested. Last Friday I taped the 5v pin 4 on the USB cable that leads from my Aurender X100 to the Regen--another CA inspired tweak. This was a major move to solid noise-free presence and clarity. I was listening with pleasure and delight when my doorbell rang. It was the postman, delivering the Chinese power supply (six days from China to Texas, amazing). I couldn't resist plugging it in at once. This was the best sound I have ever achieved with my Devialet 250, an additional clarity achieved by removing a potential noise source. (I did try the Jitterbug also, but it muddied the sound.)
Aurender N10 > Devialet 250 Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread...nditioners
(28-Oct-2015, 18:50)mauidan Wrote: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread...nditioners

I'd never heard of 'what's best forum' before about a month ago when I came across that thread.

What a horrible place! Interesting subject, ruined by the more tiresome people I've ever come across on a forum. Ended up following the discussion over at pfm instead, and deleted the above bookmark and made a note to never bother with the site again.

If the device doesn't do anything (assuming that's what they're still saying on WBF), then a LOT of people are very impressionable. Not impossible of course, but.....

Will do another round of listening when my new totalDAC USB cable comes.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(28-Oct-2015, 23:25)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(28-Oct-2015, 18:50)mauidan Wrote: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread...nditioners

I'd never heard of 'what's best forum' before about a month ago when I came across that thread.

What a horrible place! Interesting subject, ruined by the more tiresome people I've ever come across on a forum. Ended up following the discussion over at pfm instead, and deleted the above bookmark and made a note to never bother with the site again.

If the device doesn't do anything (assuming that's what they're still saying on WBF), then a LOT of people are very impressionable. Not impossible of course, but.....

Will do another round of listening when my new totalDAC USB cable comes.
The measurements show the devise doesn't do anything, and the manufacturer seems to be unable to provide any measurable evidence to prove that it does.
..or rather, these measurements show no proof of improvements. Maybe they are not measuring the right things, maybe there are other things that have value? And then, coloration may by some be seen as positive to the listening experience. And why do we seem to be believe that there is one correct listening experience, it's like saying that since you like blond girls then everyone else should too... :-) Enjoy your music and hobby guys.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)
The only measuring instrument you need are your ears!
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(29-Oct-2015, 08:27)AllenB Wrote: The only measuring instrument you need are your ears!

Gee, I guess Naim Audio founder, Julian Vereker needs to get rid of all that test equipment you see in the picture below:

[Image: naim-heritage_0.jpg]
Hi guys

I think there is a very big difference between designing equipment, where of course measurement is essential, and listening to it where the main thing is do you like it/prefer it. I do agree that it seems strange that in the digital domain, people can hear things that don't seem to be explained by measurement, I don't know why that is.

If you think something sounds better to you then it does, don't let the endless internet objectivists worry you.

I have a Regen on the way to me so will trust my own ears.

cheers

Chris