Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB Regen from UpTone
Fantastic link Maudian. I am amazed by sceptical ears when science brings evidence > jitter and distortion created .. Shown by measures ..
Maybe they believe 911 is a fake too
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
(29-Oct-2015, 03:24)mauidan Wrote: The measurements show the devise doesn't do anything, and the manufacturer seems to be unable to provide any measurable evidence to prove that it does.

From what I understand, the WBF thread was instigated by a member who bought one, didn't think it did anything, and so asked the site founder to 'test' it. Their starting point was essentially 'it doesn't work and does nothing good, look, here's a measurement as categorical proof'.  They also made the mistake of calling it a 'science' thread, where I think people might have expected a little more scientific protocol rather than it being a few home made graphs from which they drew their conclusions.

On the other hand the Regen designers really didn't help themselves - they came across over-defensive, wading in essentially with 'we've got data on our laptops and its a big seller with lots of happy customers', and then subsequently announced they didn't actually have any data or even the necessary equipment with which to test the device along the lines of what the WBF guys were doing. What they should have said was 'look, we had a hypothesis, we built something based on that, we didn't measure it (we can't) but we listened to it, and we think it works - thats the best we can offer.' That honesty would probably have done them more favours, but I suppose its not uncommon for audio manufacturers to not over-egg the marketing a bit (huh, hmm, anyone think of any other brands close to home?). The tone of thread probably put their backs up a bit too.

The pfm thread seemed a bit more balanced, and also showed that some of the measurements from WBF were a bit 'hobbyist' at best. Its worth taking a read through that thread too if you're interested - a well respected (and independent) DAC designer John Westlake also posted measurements and concluded that while these things are incredibly hard to measure (as are a lot of things in hifi) that his measurements showed that there should be some positive audible difference.  Its still active I think.
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showt...55&page=34

If the Regen made a difference in my setup, it was subtle.  So who knows, it could be a box that does nothing or just adds distortion, and I've been had too (in that I was lead to believe it did something good on practically all DACs). But what I find hard to believe is how many positive reactions there are to the device. Snake oil devices usually divide opinion. The Regen seems supported by incredibly positive feedback.

Anyway, my totalDAC d1 USB cable arrived today and I'm hoping to give that a good listen over the next week or two, also with and without the Regen, to see if there's a more audible difference that way. If not, I will have to conclude that in my system and to my ears it doesn't do anything. That still wouldn't leave me to believe the device is pure snake oil, and neither would measurements from people who seem biased. But that's not to say its not the case either.

In any event, people buy cables, spikes, discs, boxes of mud, widgets, cheap usb cables and mains cables covered in a fabric sheath - all at extortionate prices - and never think twice about the measurements if they hear a positive difference. I'm not so sure why this device has generated so much heat. Still, its probably fab marketing for the Regen - all PR is good PR isn't that what they say?

In the meantime all I care about here is how it sounds to me in my system.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Excellent post!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(29-Oct-2015, 11:49)thumb5 Wrote: Excellent post!

+1

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Exactly so Chris Marshall. Very few of us are even the slightest bit interested in hooking up test equipment to all the various bits of hi-fi, if you have bought then already you have elected to trust the designer. If you are reviewing with the intention to possibly purchase, then one has to trust one's own ears and the surroundings.

The fact is that it is very easy to hear differences in the digital domain, well it is for me, and most of it surrounds the issue of noise or hash, either EMI, RFI or just plain 'dirt' coming through the mains. The digital domain seems to me to be much more sensitive to this hash. When we were all analogue, equipment choice seemed to rely on what combination of components smoothed over this 'noise', hey even embraced it in some cases, and you ended up with a sweet spot of a set up.

I have certainly not let the 'science' crowd overtake my views on the Regen, nor any other piece of equipment, I always trust my ears. Unique to me, not the same as anybody else's ears. All I know is that the Regen added to the strengths of my Dev 200, and thus improved my listening experience.

Cheers
Allen
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Ear memory is really ephemeral. I think the best judge would be a blind test to be sure to hear some differences. Then do the differences mean a better music ?... another story.
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
Stereophile measurements of the Regen:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/upton...jd6k80k.97
Stereophile review of the Regen:

www.stereophile.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen

(Who cares about measurements.. Big Grin)
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(07-Nov-2015, 20:16)Antoine Wrote: Stereophile review of the Regen:

www.stereophile.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen

(Who cares about measurements.. Big Grin)

The Regen manufacturer:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/upton...By0jZUd.97
I don't think they visit this forum. Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands