Poll: Do you prefer Roon RAAT or Roon Integrated AIR
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Roon Integrated AIR
23.08%
30 23.08%
Roon RAAT
34.62%
45 34.62%
They sound the same
16.92%
22 16.92%
Not sure, they sound similar, maybe depends on what music I am listening to.
13.08%
17 13.08%
I realy can't be bothered to A/B test
12.31%
16 12.31%
Total 130 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which sounds best? Roon RAAT or Roon Integrated AIR
(31-May-2019, 10:39)ogs Wrote: Hi @Snoopy8  just to clear this up. AFAIK Phantoms only support Apple  AirPlay, not AIR and hence not Roon AIR. Some less experienced in Devialet lingo might get confused if one mixes the two very different protocols.

Apologies, I am a relative newcomer to the Phantoms, having them only for 3 months. The various "air" terminology has been confusing.  

If the Phantoms were Roon Ready, I would likely have gone down the Roon path and would not have experimented with UPnP, Minimserver and convolution.  I am happy with Minimserver and now see little reason to go Roon if and when RAAT comes to the Phantoms.
In my system, that is probably more revealing than the average, Raat sounds boring and normal while Air sounds refined, super clear and exciting.

The difference isn’t very subbtle.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
In my system (see my signature) I find RAAT sounds more natural than AIR but I will also say that I tend to find that there's a "matter of fact" quality to the sound of live music, at least live acoustic music. I don't tend to notice highs or lows or the mids in live acoustic music, no frequency area tends to draw attention to itself. The sound is "nothing special" in a way, it's just the way it is. I get a bit more of that with RAAT than I do with AIR and I think AIR sounds good but some things just draw a bit more attention to themselves for me with AIR. Your "boring and normal" is what I pursue and your "refined, super clear and exciting" is not what I want, at least apart from the "exciting" but I don't notice a lack of that with RAAT.

All of which goes to show how preferences are really personal and highly subjective.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I do understand but my view is that I can get normal and boring from much much cheaper systems... Wink

In that register I personally probably prefer my second system with NuPrime integrated dac/amp and Kef LS50 speakers to the Devialet running RAAT or at least is it a close call.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(31-May-2019, 14:51)iamwappie Wrote: For me AIR sounds better.

Besides that Roon has confirmed an issue I have. When using up sampling all songs skip a small first part of the song. This cannot be  changed by setting a delay in the settings.
Yes, my experience also. I suspect that the various preferences for Air or RAAT may be the simple equation of how a system is put together and how it balances out the sound using the various components in the system. I’ve just returned from a weekend of DIY hi-fi presentations and it was clear that all the different systems worked as the owner intended but change any component in the system and the sound had the potential to collapse, or enhance performance if an area of weakness was identified.

At the moment, with qobuz into roon, I’m also struggling to stream high res. I’m hoping that some tweaking of my system will sort this out. We shall see.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
(02-Jun-2019, 20:13)Greg Wrote: At the moment, with qobuz into roon, I’m also struggling to stream high res. I’m hoping that some tweaking of my system will sort this out. We shall see.

Hi Greg I notice that you have a sonicTransporter in your signature. I also had one and experienced a lot of issues once Roon integrated Qobuz, principally with high res material (dropouts) and very slow loading of libraries and album info both via Mac and iPhone. 

Investing in the latest i5 sonicTransporter resolved all these issues.

Cheers,

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(05-Jun-2019, 13:57)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi Greg I notice that you have a sonicTransporter in your signature. I also had one and experienced a lot of issues once Roon integrated Qobuz, principally with high res material (dropouts) and very slow loading of libraries and album info both via Mac and iPhone. 
Investing in the latest i5 sonicTransporter resolved all these issues.

Cheers,

Guillaume

Thanks, Guillaume. I’ll take a look at that.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
I'm happiest with Ethernet..
That tells us whether you prefer ethernet or wifi. This poll is about whether you prefer Roon to stream to the Devialet by using its own RAAT protocol or by using Devialet's AIR protocol. The Devialet can receive both over ethernet or wifi depending on your choice of input. It's fine to prefer ethernet but do you prefer to stream from Roon over ethernet using the RAAT protocol or the AIR protocol, that is the question.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia